How many of you own an X-Ray M18?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrechM

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
How many members own an M18?

I have one that is still in the box unassembled that was purchased about 3 months ago for a winter project. I’ve been too busy for the past few months to complete it but with the 70 degree weather we've been seeing it's nearing time to.

My thoughts are to use a brushless / lipo set-up for power and go with a Hitec servo and rx.

Any suggestions on the diffs?

From my research on the subject I see that they are not holding up well with the bl set-ups. A post on the X-Ray sight refers to using ball diffs out of an RC-18T with great success after a slight mod at 30% of the price. Not to mention their availability seems to be an issue.
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this?

Any suggestions about good setups are encouraged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got one from Joey here on RCNT....where did you find info on the M18 could you LMK or post a link on that RC18T mod?

cool...I'm gonna try that.....have you found any decent shocks for yours yet?

not yet man..I'm going to get a new case for the Servo so I can mount it instead of taping it.....I ran into issues w/ my buggy last nite...I was only going to run about a quart and I didn't even get 3 tanks....I think it may have just been my crystals..I got new ones so I can finish trouble shoting tonite....I want to run tomorrow so Bad I can taste nitro......I should throw some in th coffee pot and see what it does....

lol... it wasn't bad when it was taped it never really moved at all as long as you use good tape like trinity or the grey 3M tape... i would just tape it and run it i never had any problems with the servo being taped on my rc18t.

After more searches I see that they do work quite well. But they will require proper shimming if they are to withstand a bl set-up.
I know that some of you guys have some great recommendations for the M18 so how about some more sharing.

I saw a front one way diff for them on flea-bay for 39.99......HMMMMM maybe...

joey said:
use good tape like the grey 3M tape...
This would otherwise be known as "FastEddys Racing Tape" If you need some, let me know. I still have a roll or a hundred hanging out in the garage. I have it in both gray and clear.

I'm running the BaJa motor in mine bashing on the street. All I can say is with the brushless, it will be un-controllable. I'm using the stock setup for everything and havent had an issue YET. I'm sure its only time until I blow a diff or bone. I have worn out 3 sets of foamies all the way down to the rims. I'm glad they are cheap.

I'm going to look into the diff mod and give it a shot. My new retail store is located in the same center as a new Hobby Town. I got word the other day that they have an indoor 1/18th track open on Tuesday nights. I now have some re-newed interest in my X-18.

Let me know if you need some tape. Seriously, I have thousands of feet of it.

FastEddy said:
This would otherwise be known as "FastEddys Racing Tape" If you need some, let me know. I still have a roll or a hundred hanging out in the garage. I have it in both gray and clear.
Let me know if you need some tape. Seriously, I have thousands of feet of it.
What are the lengths and how much per roll?

I'll keep you in mind when I get more....I have about 50ft of some 3m stuff myself....as long as I clean the surface really well I haven't had an issue w/ it yet.....I find it to be better than the 3m backing to my super velcro I use for pit stuff to stick on my box......I use a sheet of velcro backing and then cut squares to put on stuff like the charger, temp gun, that 5way wrench thing and tuning screwdrivers......that tape rocks to keep my velcro sheet on the box......

Just got done doing the diff mod. Well... half of it. Leave it to Hobby-Town to only have one set in stock.

It was easy as pie. Build the diff, shim the bearings and wa-la. I did need to use the Dremel on the inside of the case. The gear hit ever so slightly. I wasn't going to do it but figured I might as well do it right.

Shimming the bearings with heat shrink like the other thread said isnt a good idea. As far as I'm concerned its shotty work. Use one of the collars off of the out drive and slice it with a razor blade. Its the perfect size and is a solid fit against the bearing.

Its as smooth as Michale Jacksons last date.

Another thread made reference to the mod having less weight than the stock xray diff. It also mentioned that the car turned in quicker times around the track because of it.
Let us know about you results please.

Last edited:
Back