Mayhem-steering

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ice

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I own a mayhem and have noticed that the steering is lacking compared to other buggies at the track. Was woundering if there is a way to help this problem or if it is just one of the mayhem's weaknesses.

What servo are you running? That could be your problem. You want something that is fast and has over 100oz of torque.

the Mayhem has just a bitty bit too much caster in the steering

so to get more steering power

- you can carefully, dremel or cut 1-2 mm of the front suspension arms to be able to put another plastic clip behind them

or - you can put ticker oil (7500-10000) in the middle diff, which will give you more steering power, but then perhaps you will need to put some more camber degree too, to compensate the roll-over tendensy, keep 5000 oil in front diff

or - put some heavier oil (1500-2000) in the rear diff

- as said above; a powerfull steeeringservo
at least as hitec 645MG does wonders too
- check also, if your steering balls are free enough to rotate
or not tightned up by dust, there as to be some minimal initial play there

Last edited:
thanks guys and just 4 the record i am running the stock jr servos...are these any good?

If i'm not mistaken its a Jr590m? That is an ok servo, but I would swap it for something stronger. if you want to stick to JR I would go to a 650 (I think thats what it is) the one above what you have stock, and I would put the 590 as your throttle /brake servo. Then you would have an awsome setup.

I posted this in the Mayhem thread, but it's an easy mod that will give your steering a bit more power. Check to see where you have your power switch on the buggy plugged into. Usually it's plugged into the BATT slot on the receiver. I discovered with a little research here and a couple other places that if you have it plugged in there, it only sends 4.8v to the servos. Take the switch plug out and file the bumps off it so that you can plug it into the AUX slot on the receiver. That will send the full 6.0v to the servos. You'll notice they are a lot faster and will give you a bit more torque. Yes, switching to a higher torque servo will help also, but until you decide to buy one, this will give you more performance.

Candyman said:
I posted this in the Mayhem thread, but it's an easy mod that will give your steering a bit more power. Check to see where you have your power switch on the buggy plugged into. Usually it's plugged into the BATT slot on the receiver. I discovered with a little research here and a couple other places that if you have it plugged in there, it only sends 4.8v to the servos. Take the switch plug out and file the bumps off it so that you can plug it into the AUX slot on the receiver. That will send the full 6.0v to the servos. You'll notice they are a lot faster and will give you a bit more torque. Yes, switching to a higher torque servo will help also, but until you decide to buy one, this will give you more performance.
candyman this depends on if you are running a BEC reciever or not
BAttery eliminator curcuit, not all reivers run this

Yeah, I should have been a bit more specific. I was talking specifically about the JR R135 receiver that comes with the RTR package. Thanks Mike.

I've been running the stock radio system w/ the 5 cell hump pack plugged into the Bat slot in the receiver. So your saying plug it into the Aux slot and it will make a differance. Will it drain the battery faster?

Thanks alot that sounds like it would work...but i am also curious if it will drain my batteries.

It may drain the batteries faster because it will be using higher voltage. But try it and see what you think of the difference. To me it sounded like the servos were moving faster. And that's a good thing.

yea tryed it didnt work

it was an electrical problem that was fixed

Back