Good choice for a buggy newb!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxboy100

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys, I'm new to the buggy forum. I am looking into getting a buggy. But since i am 16 i am limited on what i can get. I do have experience with racing, i have a tricked savage racer, but i have only raced a few times. I am not to familiar with buggys, but i am not to worried about figuring it out.

With the info i have given you guys already, could u tell me what buggy i should get. I am a pretty good driver, i rarely crash. But i would like to have one that i can drive all day without really working on it. I would really only like to spend about 450. But if i need to get a pro kit and build it up, my limit would be about 600. I have narrowed my search down to a mayhem, OFNA Hyper 7 pro or rtr, or inferno mp777????? I am also open to others as well. Thanx

if u only have 450, i'd save your money. cost of parts, spares, upkeep, and essential upgrades (steering servo, FM radio, engine parts, air filters gas tires etc). your gonna sail over that #. buggies arent cheap to run. look affordable, but goin beyond that is where it gets ugly.

if u can deal w/that expense later. than the ofna hyper 7 series or the sportwerks mayhem, even the xtm xterminator (very inexpensive and good). toss out the kyosho ($$$$$).

keep us posted.

-Ult

for 600 dollars you can get a pretty respectable buggy. you can go with almost any respectable RTR buggy you want. but the best buggy you can get for around 600 dollars is probably the...

hyper 7 tq kit- 289.99 off nitrohouse.com
hyper 8 port- 139.99 w/ pull start off nitrohuse.com
airtronics mx-3 w/ 2 102 servos- 119.95 off nitrohouse

right now if i was in your situation that is exactly what i would get. the hyper 8 port motor is a very underrated motor and if you put the OS 20E carb on it it will keep up with the best of them.

Ok, from what i have heard so far, i guess that i can say that if i must absolutely have to i will go up to 700 bux. But it better haul @$$ for that much. LOL

if you practice hard, u will run w/most any 1. regardless of what they have. u could take a hyper, mayhem, or xterminator and go out and run w/any1. some top expert racers do this for a thrill sometimes. give their mugens, k-cars, xrays etc a break and pull out the RTR buggy durin the quals and see what they can do. usually w/great results.

-Ult

See i would prefer a rtr thats fast and durable and all the good stuff, but if i were to spend 700 bux i would rather go ahead and build a car. Whatever it takes to get a good buggy that wont make me get a loan. JUST KIDDING LOL

then get a mayhem RTR! great car, super engine, good fm radio and servos, 3.5mm shocks, great tires you can race on w/o changin, and electric start INCLUDED and under your budget.

-Ult

PS-the diffs are prebuilt/filled w/ 5k (front), 7k (center) and 1k (rear)!!! saving you time and money and gettin ur car closer to its ideal setup for your track.
trust me u want somethin that hauls, their .26 motor hauls on top.

Last edited:
i agree for what you want, and your budget, mayhem is the way to go. cause honestly if you build a kit worth building, you will climb over $1k real fast. there are plenty of hopups for the mayhem out too, and parts should never be a problem no matter where you live.

Sportwerks Mayhem, hands down! RTR w/ a JR X3i FM radio, a kick but .26 motor. It beat out all the other buggies in a shootout in R/C Driver(?) April issue. Very few RTR's come with a decent radio and servos, the Mayhem does all that for under $500. There's a shop with them in stock in Pompano Beach FL. for $465.00 w/ 6.95 shipping. Try and top that! All the other RTR's come with iether lousy radios, junk servos and/or junk motors. The Mayhem is your ticket!
PS.
I bought one a month ago and was so immpressed that I bought a second one (both used). One has the .26 Sportwerks motor and the other has an Ofna Hyper .21, 8 port. The Sportwerks obliterates the Hyper! No comparison!
NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN OFNA BASH, SO PLEASE DON'T START COMPLAINING, OFNA OWNERS!

go for the mayhem and please yourself
you won't regret it
I don't know how they can do it for this price

Last edited:
OK i have a different idea....I don't mind wrenching so I'd do this...buy a used MBX-5 ....and a nice set of servos and Rx.....should be able to get that for less than 600 and swap your savage engine back and forth until you save up to buy a new mill....I'm doing that w/ a few mills now....if you have a complete engine it's easy to swap that into and out of a RC in about 15 mins...the servos and Rx aren't necesary but you'll want some real kick ass ones in the buggy.....and it's a pain to readjust all the radio gear....

or I've seen nice used setups complete on flea-bay for less than 600

for 600 bux u can get a sweet buggy used off e-bay......

I would go with an XTM Xterm. It's a great ride, and tough right out of the box. Personally if you are new to the buggy world I would stay away from cars that will cost you a bit more than usual for replacement parts, like the Mugen's, and Ofna's. Don't get me wrong they are great rides arguably the best out there. It is just the parts are a bit on the expensive side.. for stock stuff! Also I would rather have a new ride than to buy something used. You never really know exactly what it has been through. I personally recomend going with an XTM or other comparable buggy. The XTM comes hopped up right out of the box as well. I have no problems hanging with the big dogs, and if you are an experienced racer you will have no problems either. Having skills behind the wheel will get you farther than spending 700 bones on a high dollar ride. The XTM Xterm Pro w/ OS RG X P and Hitec 645 Servos, and Proline Knuckles tires, cost me $400 on the dot. Now I only had to add a new reciever since I owned my radio already. You could always use the radio that you use with your savage, just add a new reciever. Oh the reciever was part of the $400 dollars. My LHS cut me a huge deal since I bought everything there and bought it all at the same time. Good luck... just my :2cents:

Tom

Last edited:
I could probably get a deal at hobby people, if thats who ur refering to. Thats where i do all my shopping. I always liked the look and thought that the pro deluxe xterm was nice, but havent hurd anything for it on the racing side. How good is it out on the track?

Mayhem!

I recently bought the Mayhem and it rocks. The .26 engine is nice and it comes with a great controller (if u can ever figure it out). Also scence its a fairly new buggy upgrades will be coming out soon. The steering is the only week point....but other than that it rocks!

:llama:

mxboy100 said:
I could probably get a deal at hobby people, if thats who ur refering to. Thats where i do all my shopping. I always liked the look and thought that the pro deluxe xterm was nice, but havent hurd anything for it on the racing side. How good is it out on the track?

It rocks on the track. Handles great, flies even better than that. Nice and level, hugs the ground. I am not the greatest racer, and my track is not located in Cali so my competition is probably not the best, but I hang right with the big boys running that high dollar stuff and in fact I have actually run better than most. Like I said earlier, it is not that my buggy is faster than the rest but as long as you keep it on the track you are right in the middle of it. Great racer.

Tom

Last edited:
If you plan on racing it you better check with your local track. In most cases you will not be able to run the mayhm with the .26 engine. Most tracks limit you to a .21 engine. So the last thing you want to get is a buggy that is not race legal if thats what you want to do with it. If you are only going to bash with it, then you don't need to worry about being legal.

lets see,... mayhem rtr with .26 engine = excellent bashing, now if you want to race then, mayhem rtr w/.26 + $200.00 for a not top rated .21 engine = too much $.

p.s
my cousin got a mayhem rtr w/.26 and just got a new .21 h8 port race engine w/jp-2 pipe and i still kill him @ my track with my hyper 7.

** driver skills will rule over a top $ buggy ** my :2cents:

Last edited:
As your looking at the budget, dont forget to add an additional $100-300 for support equipment.
Starter box, temp gun, glow stick, fuel, tools, fail safe. It ads up quick.

Back