New to the 1/8 scale buggie world have many ?????????????????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperMaxx83

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i bouht a new ofna ultra lx comp all stock but i put in a fuel filter and i have broke it in as they say to do so and i am still having problems with the top end of the rev when it almost hits top speed it starts to POP and it wont go away and i even took it in and they said its because the motor isnt totally broken in yet but i have 5 tanks through it plus the break in tanks and i think it is broken in just fine. if you have any answers for me please post them and if i can't get it fixed i will just stay with my supermaxx and my rustler. PLEASE HELP ME

thank you
john a.k.a. SUPERMAXX83

it sounds as if you may be getting a lean bog. try richening up your hsn and let us know how that works.

i have tried about everything with the needles that you can do witout hurting the motor but nothing has worked any other sugestions?????????

being more descriptive of what you have, and havent done would help. exactly what is the "popping" sound? do you know what an engine that is too lean or too rich sounds like? also keep in mind it takes about 1 gallon to fully break in an engine. what fuel are you running and what plug? are you sure your not hearing detonation. you can check for it by pulling off the head and looking for pit marks on the head and piston.

well i run 20percent traxxas top fuel and i think its the stock plug and i do know wut it sounds like when its too lean or too rich i have other motors and wut i dont understand is i called ofna and asked them and they said they have no clue and i can't send it in because they said theres no problem

Simple solution, reset your needles to factroy settings and retune from there. Do you have something to measure the temp? IF not I suggest you get one.

From what you explained it does sound like a lean bog. Remember you want to have a good amount of smoke comming out of the exhaust all the way through the powerband. Try that and see what happens.

I would rather have the HSN set too rich than too lean!!!!Yup,find the factory settings and use them and go from there.

i have a venom on board temp gauge and it runs at about 230 to 250 and it still does it i took it to the lhs and they tried tunning it for me and they said it might be that the motor isnt fully broke in yet but it only does it when it hits high rev but if you let off the throttle and puch it again it seems as if it doesn't do it as bad but ti rocks all the way through throttle untill it gets to top end????????????? heip me please anything helps

DID you richen the hsn like suggested. just because your temps are within range doesn't mean your settings are right. if you have an overly rich lsn it will keep the engine cool and mask the fact that the hsn is lean.

you must have a good steady stream of smoke at full throttle ALL THE TIME it cannot fade the longer your on the gas. to set your lsn, clear out the engine by blipping the throttle, then pinch the fuel line at the nipple on the carb. count the seconds until the engine dies. your goal is 4-5 seconds. if it runs longer then revs up and dies, lean your lsn 1 hour at a time until your at your goal. if it just dies in less than 4 seconds richen the lsn until your with your goal. ALL ADJUSTMENTS MUST BE MADE WHEN THE ENGINE IS UP TO TEMP! start it and drive it for 3-5 minutes until its up to operating temp, then you can start adjusting needles. this appears to be your first big block, keep in mind that they make a LOT more smoke than your small blocks, so look for it.

you havent told us how much youve leaned or richened it, how it behaves at part throttle, if its boggy down low, etc. if you had anyway to video it doing this that would be great.

well it does seem to smoke alot all the way throught the throttle but it kinda doggie off the line so when its nice out tommorrow i will try to do wut you said and sorry no way to video it at all

Check your fuel filter. I had one of those little Du-Bro joints that gave me fits. A large 1/8 style filter fixed me right up.

Back