Can't get O.S. V-Spec started

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumpy

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I tried unsucessfully for about a half hour the dam thing would get stuck at top dead center. I tried to loosen the glow plug a little bit also. I finally got it to fire but it only ran for about 30 secounds. Any tips? I think I am screwed untill monday, I can bring it in to work and heat the head with a heat gun.

ahh you don't want that engine just send it to me and I'll work it in real good for you.....

Also try a few drops of after run oil in it.
The heat will help.
Even a hair dryer.

I tried the after run oil I think the heat will definatly help. I can't believe how tight this motor is, it's crazy. I can't wait to get this sucker broke in.

lumpy said:
I tried the after run oil I think the heat will definatly help. I can't believe how tight this motor is, it's crazy. I can't wait to get this sucker broke in.
you should try running in a nova, now there a bugger, heat will solve your problem, make sure your starter box it turning over fast before the wheel hit the fly wheel, if it doesn't it wont have enough torgue to turn it over

lumpy said:
I tried unsucessfully for about a half hour the dam thing would get stuck at top dead center. I tried to loosen the glow plug a little bit also. I finally got it to fire but it only ran for about 30 secounds. Any tips? I think I am screwed untill monday, I can bring it in to work and heat the head with a heat gun.
Careful you don't Overheat it. An industrial heat gun can melt a solder stick so hold around 6-20 inches away and be careful..

Did I say be careful?

Jon

mikeburgin said:
you should try running in a nova, now there a bugger, heat will solve your problem, make sure your starter box it turning over fast before the wheel hit the fly wheel, if it doesn't it wont have enough torgue to turn it over

Ya for some reason the itallion engines are tight as heck when new. Afreshly charged starter box battery and a heat gun(or hair dryer) are your friends during break-in!!!! :)

Well I got it going today I used a heat gun and got the head to about 200 and it fired right up. I used the heat cycle method it worked out good. I had to use two socks around the head to keep the temp up. It was like 43 deg out today. I got 6 tanks through it. More to come tomorrow. I also started it and let it cool in the shop so the only time it actually was outside was when it was running. I left the socks on and it stayed right around 210 to 220 and it was running nice and rich. I did not want to break it in in the cold but there is a race this Sat. "indoor track" and they only hold the race once a month for nitro.

Damn. I have been trying on and off since x-mass to get mine going. Over spring break i wont give up...

Keep going you will get it, try heating the head I don't think I would have got it going if I didn't do that. It would not even turn over on the starter box and it was 77 deg in the shop today, but once I got it to around 200 no problems fired right off.

You can also try using Alum Foil. Wrap one layer around the head to keep air from getting though the fins but able to get to the top and bottom.

Be Careful.... might overheat with too much alum foil.

Back