New Ofna Starterbox

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

I just picked up a brand new 1/8 ,1/10 scale starterbox and I am having a hell of a time getting that thing together. It came with only a schematic and trust me, it is hard to figure out. At least for me anyway. I bought a battery to go in it so I didn't have to lug a car battery around so that is the route I would like to go. The schematic also shows the moter being mounted in there sideways... isn't that for 1/10? I thought I needed to mount it longways.. at least that is what I am gathering by looking at the flywheel orientation on the buggy. I need some serious help with this one. I don't need to electricute myself! :flaming: Thanks guys.

Tom

Is it the blue bottom with chrome top?
If so the schematics suck... The motor needs to be mounted long ways.

Yes it is the blue one with the chrome top. I worked at trying to get that thing together for over an hour and a half and all that I got on were the little rubber feet at the bottom! The least Ofna could do would be to put a parts list in so at least we could at least identify all the screws! I didn't think it was going to be all that complicated... boy was I wrong! Does anybody know where I can get instructions online or can anybody send some pics of theres? I have never seen one together so I don't really know if I am on the right path. I just don't know why Ofna couldn't put some stinkin directions in the box. Afterall we all aren't engineers! :hammer:

Thanks guys,

Tom

I only got 1 red wire w/ mine your ahead of the game....if you don't want to hook up the bannana jacks and switch it's real easy......connect red from + on the battery to the terminal (gold screw w/ the plate) on the lid switch....then connect the smaller red to the + side of the motor......connect black from the - on the battery to the - side of the motor.....make sure the back of the motor is towards the lid switch so you are rotating in the correct direction......this will just leave it sort of hot wired so you only have the lid switch doing the power ON/OFF......

groovy... I will give it a shot. thanks

I have the same one and yes the instructions suck . I had to make some extra cabling as the ones supplied pissed me off. I am able to run the 12V or external one and be able to charge it as well. Pretty cool box.

boy am i glad i played with car audio for a few years. it makes understanding how to wire stuff like this up easy.

from reading i gather that you have the single 12v motor, and a 12v lead acid battery.why dont you give us an inventory of exactly what you have in the starter box kit. ie. any wires, switches, power panel, external power sockets, etc. after you do that, i or others can help you with a wiring diagram.

as for mounting youve already been told how to mount the motor. just attach the mount inside the box and strap it in with the big zip tie, but leave it lose until your done in case you need to make any adjustments. its also easiest to losely mount the chassis alignment pegs and place your chassis on the top of the box before you screw it into the switch. line up the flywheel and duct tape your chassis in that position. then you can secure the alignment pegs and know they are in the right place from the start.

yeah godale the way I told you to wire it you won't have the bannana jacks accessible to recharge the battery....you'll have to open the box and clip your charger to the battery.....I use the jacks on mine now because I went to a marine battery and it last's WAY longer than the gel cells....and I run 3 boxes off the battery all day long.....the plugs are easy to add later but the way I mentioned earlier is good to get you up and running real quick....the wires they give you suck anyway...your better off getting some good wire from the LHS or Electric Suppliers......keep spare wire, or loop about 2 ft extra in the box now and tie it down in the box for when you want to add the plug jacks......

jon2 said:
I have the same one and yes the instructions suck . I had to make some extra cabling as the ones supplied pissed me off. I am able to run the 12V or external one and be able to charge it as well. Pretty cool box.

Hey Jon,

Just curious as to how you wired them both at the same time. I like the idea of having the option to use both style connections.. gives you some flexablity. How did you set the box up so you could charge it. I am having a heck of a time trying to get this thing up and running. I can't start my buggy until I get this thing going. Thanks man.

Tom

CorradoPsi said:
boy am i glad i played with car audio for a few years. it makes understanding how to wire stuff like this up easy.

from reading i gather that you have the single 12v motor, and a 12v lead acid battery.why dont you give us an inventory of exactly what you have in the starter box kit. ie. any wires, switches, power panel, external power sockets, etc. after you do that, i or others can help you with a wiring diagram.

Cool. What I have is just the single motor, 12V Gell battery, the external battery clips, the Y harness, the external switch, the two red and black external recepticals, the lid switch and all the associated hardware. You think it would be easy to just put stinking instructions in the box. I hope this is all the info you need. Thanks again. Guys

Tom

External posts
- +
- +
- +
battery
- +
- +
- switch
- +
- +
- lid switch
- +
- +
motor

hope you can kinda understand that " - " is where neg. wire goes and "+" is where positive wire goes. with it wired like that you can use the external posts to either charge or power the box, the side switch turns the box on and off to prevent if from running continuously in your trunk, and the lid switch turns on the motor when you press down on your car.

if anything is unclear just say so.

yeah I just dissconnect the internal battery plugs and cap em....then I have bannana plugs w/ clips at the end for the Ext batt......plug the bannana plugs into the jacks on the box and you are ready to rock..hey did you test the box Power supply thing yet?

Plaidfish said:
yeah I just dissconnect the internal battery plugs and cap em....then I have bannana plugs w/ clips at the end for the Ext batt......plug the bannana plugs into the jacks on the box and you are ready to rock..hey did you test the box Power supply thing yet?
Got to take the P/s supply from work.

Sorry for the delay guys, yesterday was a bear at work and was away from my desk most of the day. You know sometimes I have to actually work!

Hey corrado, plaidfish, and others thank you so much for all of your help. I have not had a chance to wire the box up yet but I have gotten all of the parts in and the motor installed. The only thing I have not yet figured out is the wiring which I am going to take on this weekend thanks to your help. The other part I am having some difficulty with is the pegs.. man getting those things to line up right is a you know what! Anyway I think I should be able to handle this. I will keep you up to date. Thanks again guys...

Tom

Hey Plaid...

Just curious as to how you charge the internal battery? The only charger I have that will work is the one you plug into the wall and wait 12 hours... will this charger work with this setup? Or do I have to seek other means to charge? Thanks man.

Tom

I used to just take the lil aligator clips and crimp down on the bannana jack...just make sure it doesn't get knocked around while it's charging cause they do come off easy.....and when you dissconnect the clips from the box unplug the charger first...I've seen my friends just unplug it and let it dangle and then blow up the charger and throw the breaker in their house....or you can just lift the lid up and clip them to the battery....

Back