Advice on filter oiling

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt Blamo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I need to get some factual info on oiling filters for my trucks and buggies. I have two types, one is the "motor saver", of which I had been using K&N spray on filter oil(red spray for the gauze filter elements). The other is the stock foam filter that comes on most buggies, I started using Associated green foam filter oil. So here's my question: Is it OK to use the K&N filter oil, or is it too thin? Someone said they thought I shouldn't use it for that reason.
The other question is on applying the thick liquid type of filter oil. I was told to apply the oil to the outside either by rolling it in some oil poured in a dish or by spreading it over the foam directly from the bottle, working it into the foam evenly, then squeezing out the excess oil with a paper towel. My concern is that I would then have oiled the entire foam element wich I would tend to think is bad. I figure you want the outside of the element to be oily to trap the dirt particles and the inside dry to flow the air.
I'm a little confused as to wich method ore oil is best. I want to protect my motor as much as possible with restriction. I'm in South FL. and we have a lot of sand. :hammer:

what i do is i clean out the filter with soap and water first. and get it nice and clean. then i take after run oil (yes that is my air filter oil also) and i put it in a little ziplock baggy, and then i put my filter in, then i squish my filter around in the baggy for a little bit so it gets all oily and stuff. then i take out the filter and put it in a paper towel and squish all the excess oil from it. then i put the filter back on my buggy.

i would stick with the associated filter oil as it is thicker then K&N filter oil. it will protect your motor better.

Last edited:
If u just clean it with warm water and soap then let it dry copletly the put it in a bag and oil it up.

not too sure what the K7N is like but I do know that the air filter opil I use is strictly made for that application. If you are not sure then I would not advise on using it. Lots of LHS have their own they go with . The associated is fine as well. too expensive for the little bottle for me. I got a generic one that is 3 times the size about and costs the same, just different color.

Maintenance is like this. After younotice there is some dirt seepin in the inner foam element I would take that as to clean it . I like to use warm water and dish soap. Prior to any of this I use some fuel to get the majority of the dirt out and then use the water and soap. after the foam is dried, use a little sandwich baggy or a baggy that was used for packaging a part and stick them in that. I apply oil to the inner element only. Drop a few drops and let the foam absorb it by squeezing it in the oil. do this well. Then place back in and assemble your filter and you are set.

I figured that if you oiled the outside, it would clog up very quickly. I'm looking for tried and proven methods thet work for racing on the track.

Back