Mayhem Clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsukdeo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey everyone... my mayhem was running great... but I have a clutch problem. I hit the throttle and it goes nowhere. I've heard that the clutch on the RTR does wear fast, so I am assuming this is my problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a new clutch shoe setup? Or should I just go back to the stock stuff? Thanks.

-Jason.

Are you sure it's not your pinion/spur gear alingment? I had that happen breifly the other day, my motor mount had loosened just enough to let it suddenly disengage, fixed it in about 5 seconds.

I have a mayhem pro. I read an article on rc car action's website that said some of the first Mayhems that were made had the wrong clutch shoes in them. It said to call your lhs or the manufacturer and they would send a new set of clutch shoes. I purchased mine from the lhs and called horizon hobby and they sent me new clutch shoes. You might want to check it out.

just put in mugen clutchsprings of 1.0 mm
and mugen carbon or aluminium shoes
and you will have no problems for a long time
or there are new mayhem alu shoes they should be ok too

oh, and just check if your clutch bearings are still ok

Last edited:
yeah but aluminum shoes need to be deburred every 5-6 tanks or they mushroom real bad and tear up you CB bearings and I've seen it even bond to a Flywheel....use carbon...they bite better than teflon and wear longer than aluminum w/ less maintenance

Yeah I say amen ! to that

Last edited:
yea man i carbon shoes in my 8-port. they work awsome, i would definatley recommend getting them.

Plaidfish said:
yeah but aluminum shoes need to be deburred every 5-6 tanks or they mushroom real bad and tear up you CB bearings and I've seen it even bond to a Flywheel....use carbon...they bite better than teflon and wear longer than aluminum w/ less maintenance

just to play devils advocate.

my xray aluminum shoes have lasted over 2 gallons so far and have yet to mushroom at all on me. I've changed the bearings once. its been a VERY reliable clutch even with a sick motor turning it. i use either .9 or 1.0 springs for early engagement since my motor has a lot of bottom end. this cuts down on slipping and helps shoes last longer too.

I use .95 and mugen/Kyoasho/supermaxx aluminum shoes have all been very good for running but I had to deburr at least once during the day when I run em all day....haven't tried the Xray ones yet...I have a new set and a slightly used set here waiting for me to try.....

try them, you may really like em. like i said 2 gallons and next to zero maintainance.

What motor and clutch set up. I need to rplace mine.
BTW, I noticed a funny noise, so I pulled the motor, you could spin the clutch bell easily, but when I took it off,the bearings literaly fell apart.

I wonder if you let enough play between the gears

Put a strip of paper between the two gears during final adjusting
to leave some micro-mms of play and check also lateral adjustment "hooking"

there should be the minimum of noise when turning the wheels
you should check and readjust till all is ok

Last edited:
I don't know if the xb8 clutch shoes fit the mayhem
because they seem larger ?

Back