Diff Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigboi11

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
How Do Is Set Up All Three Diffs? The Major Thing I'm Looking For Is I Want A Little More Power Going To The Rear Than The Front So That I Can Kick The Back In Out Some When I Need To. What Fluids Should I Go With?

I would go with 5k front , 7k center, 3k rear that should give you plenty in the back, if it isn't then throw some 5k back there. The heavier in the rear the harder its going to be to control.

you want the front to outdrive the rear...if not then it goes all over the track and it's real hard to accelerate quickly.....3k will definately be driving from the rear more than I like it to....try it and you'll see...I had to do the same thing before I understood the issues....

Hey Guys,

I run 3k front, 7k Center, and 5k rear in my XTerm Pro. Is this a decent setup? Thanks

Tom

I've never run the xterm, but typically that seems like a thick fluid in the rear, but if it works for you then its a good setup.

Different fluid setups work in different situations, different track layouts and terrains. If you like the way your ride handles then its setup the way you want it to be!

do you find it spins out on turns alot?
does it give you the traction to dive into corners and pull out of them?
or do you just like going really fast in a straight line and blowing by your friends in a drag style race?
VB is right but that seems a little heavy in the rear.....try switching your front to your back and see how you like it...if not you can always switch it back

5k (front), 7k center, and 1k in the rear would be better.........

rd that is best for your situation and driving style. If his setup works for him then what he has would actually be best.

diff fluids can be confusing. i am still learning what does what. i run 5/7/2 in a mugen with a RB ws7II. this setup allows me to steer the car with the rear. in other words the rear is a little loose, if it was thicker it would want to "push" the front and not turn as good.

You never want to go to high in the rear diff like low just said... you will get push that is when your rear end wants to go around the front.. In a fwd buggy you want the front doing most of the work.. 2k is the highest I whould go in the rear. try the 5,7,1 if that don't work for you go 5,10,2. and go from there...

How would 5 7 5 work could I kick the back end out with that or would it be completely even. I am starting to understand the fluid in relation to front and rear but what is the differenc between front and front such as the differece between putting 3 in the front and 5 in the front not considering whats in the other two.

ZANDOR said:
you will get push that is when your rear end wants to go around the front....

Actually Z, pushing is when the rear won't go around the front. A vehicle pushes when the front tires loose grip before the rear tires do. Then the car won't turn and it essentially pushes through the turn. This is common to FWD cars, also known as understeer. in Nascar terms... it's tight.
Being loose is just the opposite, when the rear tires loose grip before the front tires do and the rear end want to kick out in a turn. Also known as oversteer. Common to a RWD layout.

the part that I'm not clear on so far is what combination of oils gives a buggy oversteer vs. understeer. so..

thick in front, thin in rear= ?
thin in front, thick in rear= ?

Last edited:
LOL my bad eather way its bad you never want your rear end to over power the front... heaver #wt in the rear will cause problems.. Loss of controllabitly in the steering..

ok, so...

thick in front, thin in rear = understeer
thin in front, thick in rear = oversteer

is this right?

bigboi11 said:
How would 5 7 5 work could I kick the back end out with that or would it be completely even. I am starting to understand the fluid in relation to front and rear but what is the differenc between front and front such as the differece between putting 3 in the front and 5 in the front not considering whats in the other two.
the only way some people will beleive it for themselves is if you just try it....if you have the patience try ech diff set up from one day to the next and take not of how differrent the characteristics of the buggy are......do the equal front / rear diff set up the first day...then do the lighter rear the next......BIG difference

Plaidfish said:
do you find it spins out on turns alot?
does it give you the traction to dive into corners and pull out of them?
or do you just like going really fast in a straight line and blowing by your friends in a drag style race?
VB is right but that seems a little heavy in the rear.....try switching your front to your back and see how you like it...if not you can always switch it back

I will try and switch the weights around and see what happens. I have never driven the buggy yet... still to cold. Just got it this winter and still working on the setups for spring. The XTM comes with grease filled diffs and so I wanted to get that stuff out and silicone in before I hit the track. Thanks guys.

Tom

i rn 5-7- 1 in k3 and 4-7-1 in my hb stadium pro.

bigboi11 said:
How Do Is Set Up All Three Diffs? The Major Thing I'm Looking For Is I Want A Little More Power Going To The Rear Than The Front So That I Can Kick The Back In Out Some When I Need To. What Fluids Should I Go With?

do you run on a smooth blue groove style track, were drifting is possible all the time, the more drive you have in the rear the less steering you have in the front, tends to push the front end around alot more than normal, also makes the car snappy when it does finally turn
I run 5k front 7k center and 1k rear

Mike

mikeburgin said:
do you run on a smooth blue groove style track, were drifting is possible all the time, the more drive you have in the rear the less steering you have in the front, tends to push the front end around alot more than normal, also makes the car snappy when it does finally turn
I run 5k front 7k center and 1k rear

Mike

mike- using your car as a starting point: 5000, 7000, 1000

how would your car's behavior change if you changed the rear 1000 to say... 3000?

Back