best buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beason

Bash, Fix, Repeat..
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i know you guys have prolly answered this a hundred times but I'm thinking about getting a buggy.. i already own a savage 21 and am in the prosses of selling it and getting a 25... but resently one of my buddys sold me his "smartech speedy car".. i know its not a high end car but i got it for 50 bucks and at that price i can play with it a bit and not worry if i have to put a few bucks in it.. but i wanted a 1/8th scale buggy the smartech just "came along" now my question is.. what is the best buggy for the money.. keep in mind i have a savage and its like a tank.. and i would expect nothing less from the buggy.. i dont race (at least not yet) so i mostly bash.. debating on putting a track behind my house so this would be where the buggy gets used most.. would like it to be fast but is doesn't have to be balls to the walls top end i would rather have a tough car that is a bit slower than a 80mph beast that explodes a the first flip.. planning on selling the smartech later for some money for the 1/8th scale.. and i have the savage so i can save a bit befor getting it.. looking for maby under $350 rtr if this is high or low let me know.. would also be interested in a rolling chasis that would work well with a .15 motor (off the smartech) then i would just scrap the smartech.. thanks for all your time buggy guys.. hope to hear from you soon.. Later

To me rtr in the $400 price range ofna is my only option. I would pick up a ofna hyper 7 pbs for 389 at www.donalds-hobby.com and forget about it. It has super durability and can keep up with the big boys on the track. Even if you do break something replacement parts are everywere. the hyper 8 port engine has super top end and average low end. its built for the track. Now if you want a kit which you will end up mid $1000 range i would go for the kyosho k3, mp777, mugun xb8, or mugen prospect. but those are top of the line and not really nececary if you just plan to bash or go to the local track. The hyper 7 is good for all of the above and i thik its the best rtr on the market period :hammer: hope you understand all of that. pm me if you need anything. Also ask around the forum i can name of the top of my head at least 7-8 peope with the hyper 7 on this forum alone.

(W0w longest post I've ever done and its feelin good guys.....)

hi i have the hyper 7 PBS and it is a tank, and its very reliable and the hyper 8 port is probably one of the nicest motors that you can get in a rtr from my experiences. it is very easy to tune and it holds its tune very well. the hyper 7 PBS is very tough and if you do manage to break it parts are everywhere and the parts are not that expensive. there are some things that you need to do to it if you get it though... you need to locktite all metal to metal contact screws and tighten all screws and you may have to adjust the throttle linkages, and you probably have to rebuild the diffs and shocks as they are probably not filled properly from the factory. you dont NEED to do the diffs and the shocks though. but if you want the best performance out of your hyper, then i highly recommend it. if i were you i would get the hyper 7 PBS. if you do happen to get the hyper and have any questions then pm me or OFNA buggy basher and we will gladly help you out.

Thats right I'm here to help and i have a 24 hour pm return gaurantee. Hey timmy i wouldent mind asking you a couple of questions myself...

For a NIB buggy,in the price range you mentioned, I would have to agree with "buggybasher" on the Hyper 7,PBS,RTR. I was going to buy that exact buggy from the same place, but I got a slammin deal on a Sportwerks Mayhem. You can pick up a NIB Mayhem RTR for about $400-450 if you look around enough. I did a lot of researching before deciding on the Mayhem and am VERY happy with it and highly recomend it or the above mentioned Ofna. either one you wont go wrong, but I like the Mayhem better, and I've run and raced both on my track. Just my $1.25 worth

thanks for all your info guys.. ill look around and see.. this will be a secondary ride to the savage so it wont see a whole lot of run time.. but i dont want to be fixin it all the time ether.. hopefully ill be in the "buggy" section more in the near future.. thanks again guys keep the info comming

well since all you've had thrown at you so far is Ofna's, ill offer up the GS Storm RTR+. i just got one for my brother and i have to say I'm really impressed. I'm one of the guys that has one of the $1000+ race rigs (Xray XB8) so i know a good buggy when i see one. its very well built and a few of the guys i race with use them successfully too. for where we run, there is better parts support for this buggy than the ofna, which helped with my decision.

other buggies to consider as well are the sportwerks mayhem, and Jammin X1 RTR. just go to your LHS and ask if they carry any 8th scale parts, and if so what brand. if they dont, then find out what is easy for them to order.

the hyper 7 looks damn nice... but the price tag is a bit high.. all I've seen is like $450 up... the storm seems to have all the same highlights as the hyper 7 plus a better radio system and its like $325.. I'm guessing the reason everyone is banking on the hyper 7 is because its a proven model and the gs storm is newer.. from the looks of it its down to these two buggys.. anyone have $0.02 on it or another contender?? thanks for all your time guys.. it really helps..

the GS is nice but around here we get spurts of part supplies for it.....one week the distributor has them the next you're S.O.L....same w/ OFNA for some reason.....the mayhem is definately the RTR of choice around here......

RustlerDood said:
used Kanai III

what does this mean??? is this an offer to sell one of your used buggys to help a fellow rcnter out?? interesting....

OFNA buggy basher said:
Thats right I'm here to help and i have a 24 hour pm return gaurantee. Hey timmy i wouldent mind asking you a couple of questions myself...

send them right over bro... i will answer them as soon as i can

will do my man will do. Was it hard to get your pbs to turn over for the first time? does it come with a pullstart from donalds hobbys?

This is just my take,
As much as I like to try and support my LHS, I find that I can get parts at a better price from E-bay and other various sources on-line. I'm also big on buying used VS new vehicles, as I feel you can get a better deal if you know what to look for. Ofna's were the primary buggies at my track, that is until the Mayhem arrived. Now quite a few Ofna guys are looking at the Mayhem. My friend who has a pretty penny tied up in his PCR buggy, was very immpressed with how well the Mayhem did it's 1st time on the track. Not only did it handle exceptionaly well, but it has proven very durable, as it took quite a few tumbles. I was amazed that I spent 3 hrs. racing, with the only down time being between fuelings, not one time did I have to mess with it. The highest temp was about 225-228, and it was making more power than I needed!
BTW, I paid $340.00 shipped, it was used but in great condition, came with a nice JR,XR3i FM radio, & a Sportwerks .26 motor that kicks butt!

beason said:
the storm seems to have all the same highlights as the hyper 7 plus a better radio system and its like $325..

if your looking for an RTR...I'm not so sure the storm comes with the JR Racing XR3i radio anymore...you may wanna check on that...but if it does for $325... that is a great price. I paid $499 for mine in nov 03' ...

Other than online ordering ...there are 2 hobby shops that carry storm parts that arent to far from Baytown. One is off of I-10 and Normandy and the other is down the street from there on Wallisville Rd.

The one on wallisville has a track. :buggy1:

yea I've been to both of those... but i dont go to the track i like bashing better.. i will look into the storm.. maby when we get together you can bring the storm and i can have a look at it to see if i like it.. let me know

yeah sounds good....I'm waiting for my cvd's to come in fron ebay..then will be good to go.

I just bought another Mayhem off Ebay. You can find some slamin deals if you look. I picked it up for $300. shipped! I'll probably pick up an Ofna Hyper 7 Pro,PBS. However, Be advised, the Ofna Hyper 7 comes with a total piece of crap radio! If you buy it, you will need a good quality radio. That's why I like the Mayhem, comes with the JR FM.

I like the mayhem. The storm no longer comes with the jr. It comes with a crappy radio now.

Back