Mugen Vs Kyosho VS XB8 Vs Mayhem Vs EB4 S3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeburgin

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
alright give us the dirt on these 4 top speck cars

The Mayhem kicks major butt! I'm new to the buggy scene, but from doing my recon at my local track and gathering intel, it seems that Ofna and Mugen are the main contenders. However, the Sportwerks Mayhem (RTR version) was able to keep up with the big dogs mentioned above, and that with a stock set of tires! It took the sweepers like it was nothing. The .26 was making plenty of power @220 degrees , it had plenty of power to clear the big doubles and triples and blast out of the corners.
I love it! I'll be looking for two more to buy for my sons.

Lessen said:
an interesting thread coming from someone who's obviously familiar with the search.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26009&highlight=servos+buggies

he asked about the buggies, whats the point of showing him a thread about servo's.

whats the harm in striking up conversation about different buggies in the buggy forum?

mike, i would not consider the mayhem to be in the same class as the mugen, K car, or Xray. its nice, but no out of the box racer like those are intended to be. the thunder tiger would be a better choice to compare.

and on that note, the thunder tiger is a very good design but has some teething problems, like weak plastics and shocktowers. the mugen is great and current world champ, K car is a multi time world champ and great car, Xray is comming along very well, had a few problems early on, but should have a very good season this year.

u must be running in an open class or else the engine would be disqualified
IMO the mbx5 prospec is the leading buggy on the market, with is reputation for reliability and backup, then the xb8 would have to be a close second light weight and very nimble but maybe not as reliable as the mugen, K cars i have not heard much about on this forum, which is one of the reasons for starting this thread,, so any of you k777 guys out there, give us some unbiased feed back on them aye, not i brought it so its the best there is stuff but real feed back on likes and dislikes, same with the rest of you mugen and XB8 drivers

actually out of the k cars the Kanai III seems to be the best. The 777 is nice but for me the Kanai III just handles better and comes more race ready out of the box........

At the major events in Nor-Cal the Kanai III is usually in the winner circle but the "popular" choice or must have car right now is the MBX5 Prospec but this appears to be a passing fad.........

I agree i have owned kanai 2 and 3 both were good cars but the parts cost way to much, funny part is sacker parts fit the kanai 2 and 3

the mbx, xb8,and K seem perhaps more planted solidly on their 4 wheels and they have more tuning possibilities on board

but the mayhem definitely is at the same level
it has better suspension geometry, better droop, better play/fits, definitely better gears, better rodends as the xb8 and as good as: shocks,
springs and driveshafts are better on xb8

its' like a wolf in the hide of a sheep, it's certainly much better than the Swift
once you put your mind to it, you are in the same league as the other 3
the quality of the parts, plastics and aluminium and gears, and the sheer dynamic properties make it a very good buggy, it drives and jumps great,
I should say like a xb8, the precision fit of all parts like the steeringrods is fenominal....
I don't like ==the diffs seeming to drop their oil through the gaskets,
the special bodies needed,
the flex of chassis at the limit

I have a xb8 too, it is really a topnotch kit , everything fits like it should and you don't have to buy anything else if you want,
and I state ; with all that's in the box , it's infact a cheap carkit !!
it drives and jumps great and you have all the tuning abilities, mechanical it 's great...it stands like a rock, the freewheeling inthe gears on this kit is fenominal it just runs off by itself if you don't take care...
I don't like ==the play of the bearings in my front steeringblocks!
I don't like the tank having no overflow spillingsystem at all!
+ the front steeringrods jumping of their balls so swiftly in some positions ...

I notice mbx prospec is the car everyone seems to want but in europe not much people in fact buy it
but they should, it's a beautifull and efficient buggy and a sure winner...

the new TTR S3 is on the same way but I find her not so well finished standard, the plastics neither

about 777 I don't know much but I think everybody is so exited by the new cars, that it's logical the old brand is a bit disappointing
but still if they put it on the market after the Kanai III it should be better !!

Last edited:
Alright guys enough blah blah, what faults do each car have and what are there good points, even if its just observations from the track on others cars, lets make this thread so people who are looking for top line cars have an easy place to see where each car falls down or rises up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mbx5 Prospec is a great car, build is beaut, all goes togeather well, standard setup is a good starting point, but definatley needs some work to get it competetive, specially for NZ tracks, car seems to be the most reliable car I've owned, plenty of parts out there from various sources, alloy rear uprights seem to wear very quickly specially in muddy conditions and there not cheap to replace, damn cnc machinists (corrado :)
looked into getting titanium balls for front end, at about 60 buck nz per ball i thought id give it a miss, one peice engine mount is a great idea for strengh

Parts I've broken so far Ummmm
front shock tower (yes i broke my shock tower), front arm
bent several shock shafts
bent chassis
replaced rear uprights due to wear ( sanded down past the top arm screw) Shrug
Broken front knuckle

Car has hadt alot of abuse over the last 3 months and 2 real major crashs into the barrier covering pit lane, nothing like getting the tail knocked out at 80km into a wall, other than the rear uprights wearing i have no real complaints about this buggy.

New body styling would be nice

maybe this car needs to be added as well
EB4 S3
Admin can you add it to the thread heading please :)
dont know if i can

Lessen
The coment in that thread was to tell you there were already a heap of threads with info in them on that subject that you may want to search, not a go at you for starting that thread, and anyway this is an info page for others specially newbs that want to know all the goods and bads of these cars
but nice try

I just purchased a Mayhem RTR and it is my first 1/8th scale buggy. I haven't fully broken the engine in yet, but from what I can see from watching other drivers it is a competitive buggy. I can't wait to get it running and start racing it.

Travis

mikeburgin said:
Lessen
The coment in that thread was to tell you there were already a heap of threads with info in them on that subject that you may want to search, not a go at you for starting that thread, and anyway this is an info page for others specially newbs that want to know all the goods and bads of these cars
but nice try

sorry, I just figured there was a lot of stuff on my most of those vehicles already on the boards.... but most likely not in comparison form. Sorry bout that. I just got my S3, I could give some info eventually when I get it all runnin but I don't have anything to compare it to cuz I've never had a buggy before. Someone else here has one also and probably could give more accurate info. however,there is talk already about the front brace being kinda weak.

I'm putting my :2cents: in as a newbie to buggies....I've had an OFNA 9.5 pro w/ every CNC or graphite option you can get....I like the way it steers compared to my friends MBX-5 but I'm always tinkering w/ some kind of adjustment and it seems I suffer from weaker parts on the OFNA.....Now I'm running the PBS conversion and it steers poorly but takes much more abuse.....the CnC stuff holds up well but the graphite towers were a poor waste of cash.....the toe/camber adj. are limited until you buy yet another upgrade part...after all is said and done the money you spend getting this buggy comp ready you can buy a prospec.....I just bought an XB8 from another friend adn I havn't run it w/ my stuff yet but I definately liked the way it handled....seems much more stable even though we run the same suspension and diff setups......turns awsome and holds track at WOT great......the MBX I think is the best al around driver / abuse taker...if I didn't get a good deal on the XB8 I was leaning more to the MBX-5 but then I'd have to upgrade some of the stuff to beef it up a little....the Mayhem (drove one for 2 laps) seems to be fine but I think most of the guys bitching about how it's crap is because it's an entry level buggy and most newcomers don't realize the maintenance involved w/ these things...so theylet stuff slide and the buggy falls apart.....this has just been my observation of the Mayhem.....No comment on the TT haven't seen them yet.....the Kanai 3 IMO is the only K-car to get.....the 777 special still needs upgrades to race it and you're shelling out around a grand to get the kit to race level?!?!?!?! WTF........Prospec IMO is the nicest all around buggy but I like the steeering on the XB8 a little better.....toss a friggin coin and hold your breath when you go to the LHS to buy one.....

RustlerDood said:
At the major events in Nor-Cal the Kanai III is usually in the winner circle but the "popular" choice or must have car right now is the MBX5 Prospec but this appears to be a passing fad.........

RD,

Care to elaborate? Why is it a "passing fad"?

Didn't the 777's recently sweep 1,2,3 at the recent big race at Hemet? That has to say something considering every company had their big guns out.

I guess if I was a factory sponsored driver and had endless supply of spare parts laying around for my ride I'd get the 777...but everyone of those guys I see at my track are wrenching them just as much as I am on my OFNA.....they drive great but they are lacking in the strength dept, IMO...seeing as how I'm not the best driver in the world I need to consider that in my decision for new buggy.....

big guns mean nothing, specially when you got half the feild under your name, it like saying that race dosent mean squat because kyosho didnt win the worlds, but i hear what your saying

Well, at the Worlds Kyosho took 2,3,and 4. Not too shabby either.

Back