did i hurt my motor??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmytimmy14

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
my LHS told me that if i break in my motor when its cold outside that i can hurt the motor. they said that if i break in the motor when its cold that when its warm out again i will have problems. I'm not sure if this is true because i have never heard this before. he also said that the cold air automatically leans out my carb mixture, so i have to make it richer, which could potentially damage my motor. has anyone heard this before. if these problems can be solved by simply adjusting the carb again, then I'm not worried. but I'm worried about my motor in general. i thought that it didn't make sense. but has anyone heard this before. i live in jersey and i broke in the motor when it was about 30-35 degrees out.

do you ruin your real car engine by running it in the cold ?????:
some of our racing in wintter starts while there is still a frost on the ground, as long as you richened it it shouldnt really be a problem, I've heard people on here say that but never heard it over here, you do have to make sure you warm it up properly before you rev the crap outta it though

Do a search for cold weather running and you will find a lot of different theories on it.

Personally, I will run them in the winter, but I won't break them in unless it's above 50.

BTW, a 1:1 car has rings, oil pump, oil pan, valves... RC Nitro has a tapered sleeve that expands as it warms up. If it doesn't warm up, the theory is that it wears the piston down and the sleeve down prematurely because the sleeve didn't expand to it's optimum size.

olds97_lss said:
Do a search for cold weather running and you will find a lot of different theories on it.

Personally, I will run them in the winter, but I won't break them in unless it's above 50.

BTW, a 1:1 car has rings, oil pump, oil pan, valves... RC Nitro has a tapered sleeve that expands as it warms up. If it doesn't warm up, the theory is that it wears the piston down and the sleeve down prematurely because the sleeve didn't expand to it's optimum size.
well duh
your talking a difference in 12 degrees cent from optimum running temp down to 0 degrees cent that is , yes if it was a block of ice out side i would agree, but is also damaging to a normal car as oil goes kinda like chewing gum at low temps, not to mention that much colder and why the hell would you drive your rc any way, if you are using a heat gun like your sposed to before you fire it up the first couple of times the temp contraction should not be an issue as it should have already have reduced the taper on the sleave prior to starting.

My 2 cents is that I wouldn't break in an engine unless it was at least 50 outside. Break in is most important time to not run it lean, and the only way you can get the engine to proper operating temps so that the clearances between the piston and sleeve are correct when it is cold outside is to lean it out. Thus lowering the amount of oil in the engine to a possibly unsafe level. Did you ruin you engine? Probably not, but running it to lean so that it doesn't get enough oil, or to cold so that the piston and sleeve clearances aren't correct can deffinitly lower the life of the engine. So, like I said, I wouldn't break in an engine in those temps, and if you are going to run in those temps I would suggest a higher oil content fuel like O'donnell, ar Trinity Monster (the purple one), and not a "race" blend such as Trinity Platinum. That way if you lean it a bit for temps you still stand a chance of getting enough oil. Also, I wouldn't lean it to peak power, I would keep it just over 200.

wrap your cooling head up in foil and secure it with a rubber band. this keeps temps up for cool weather running. i highly doubt you did any damage to your engine.

ok thanks guys. on my buggy i did wrap the head in tin foil.

Back