Tire Issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

Well, I just got finished glueing my first set of tires on my X term. It was a set of Proline wheels and Proline Road Rage rubber. I figured this is a piece of cake right? Well I got the foam insert in the tire and the tire on the wheel. I thought wow, that wasn't so bad. Then after glueing, I sat the car off of its wheels long enough for the glue to dry. I have noticed a little flat spot on each tire a couple of days later. Is this normal from just sitting or am I screwed? I went online to look and sure enough you are supposed to trim the foam before you insert and glue. Can I run my buggy like this? These tires are for breaknig the buggy in on asphalt, not for racing. I really don't want to try to remove the tires at this point. Thanks guys

Tom

Where is the flat spot? Is it in the middle of the rubber or on the sidewall? Does it take the tire out of round? If it does, then you're better off trying to unmount the tires and remount them. Any flat spot on the surface will cause the tires to hop and that will kill handling. If the flat spots are in areas that don't make contact with the road, you may be ok.

my tires get flatspots on them when they sit too. its not a big deal. just drive the car for a bit and they will come out. however try to find a way to store your car so that its not sitting on its wheels. you can hang it by the wing, keep it on your starterbox, put a set of wheels underneith it, whatever. but leaving it sit on the wheels will constantly flatspot the tires, and cause your springs to sag over time.

Candyman and Corradopsi,

The flatspot did not develop until the buggy sat on its wheels for a couple of days. When I put the tires together the flatspot was not there. I have it sitting off the ground now. The flatspots however did not go way. It is in the middle of winter here and its not even warm enough to break the buggy in so I have not driven it at all. You say the flatspots will go away after I run it? Like I said I didn't trim the foam at all when I put the tires together, I didn't know until afterwards that you were supposed to do that. I just shoved the foam in the tire straightend it out the best I could an then mounted it on the wheel. Is it ok to do it that way? Thanks

Tom

i never trim my foams. i just shove em in there so there is more material in there for a firmer tire. they will come out when you run the car. I'm sure in a few days they might even come out on thier own if its sitting in a warm house. i have a set of slicks i use on a clay track that get flat spotted all the time. they are always fine after my first 5 minute heat.

Back