Is the Mayhem the best?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt Blamo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm getting rid of two of my Ofna MBX buggies and was looking at a new buggy. I was going to get an Ofna, Hyper 7 PCR, RTR, but was told to forgo that and buy the Sportwerks Mayhem. Is it worth the money? My LHS told me $440.00 RTR. I was told that it's the best kit you can buy in the 400.-500. price range. Any thoughts would be great.

you get all midgrade buggy w/ a much better radio than most RTRs......everyone I see w/ one at the track is saying they were great for about 3 months and then crapola....everything started breaking....get the OFNA instead...better customer service too...

Still TOO new to really tell. Things can break due to Driver error. Sounds too vague.I still give the Mayhem a nice vote!!!

I own a Mayhem Pro and a XB
and I like it so much, I am selling my xray XB :p:

the mayhem has better gears, initial suspension geometry, all around fits....as good as : shocks, materials, attention to details.....

it drives like the xb8, it's us, it's original, you don't have to master that much set-up features,
or if you like: with the xb8 you will be occupied changing the inserts , with the mayhem you will play more with the regular tuningaids like, different antiroll barrs or oils
but as the original conceptional setups are good , with the same results in the end but less work

all gears and outdrives are milled/hardened: solid
all steel, aluminium and also the plastic parts have a very nice finish and are sturdy, spare parts are cheap too
just check/change diff oils (5000/7500/1000-2000) , mine in the middle came almost empty (had probably leaked slowly because screws were not 100% tighted down as it should)
and shock oils (40/40) before driving

and see all metal to metal screws are all locktided
if you check regulary your buggy all over, there will be no problem
you have to do this anyway with any brand of car or after a few gallons they will fall apart and leave parts all over the track

440.00 is a very good price, my us based lhs asks 495.00/525.00 w.radio

Last edited:
its a good buggy for the money, also look into the GS Storm RTR+ its in the same price range and also a nice buggy. these were the 2 i was looking at while deciding on a birthday present for my brother. I'm getting him the GS because it has better parts support here, they were close enough, that the LHS's parts supply was the deciding factor.

The buggy I was looking at originaly was the "Hyper 7 PBS, RTR",NIB, for $390. shipped. The guy confirmed that it comes with a radio,hyper .21,8 port and starterbox. It sounds like a good deal. It seems that the more I researched, the more the Mayhem was recamended. I was also told that the Ofna starterbox was a joke.
What I'm looking for is a buggy that I wont have to mod to drive well and can run it as is. When I asked a guy who repairs all the R/C vehicles @ the LHS and runs the track for the best buggy for the money, he highly advised the Mayhem.
Your comments

I would go hyper 7 pbs! all you have to do is get a new started box. figure 390+65-80 and you got yourself a killer buggy at low cost.

the mayhem pro chassis will be competitive as it comes
no need for the many tuning parts really
just good oil in diffs and shocks
and later a mugen carbon or metal clutch

I am actually in the market for the RTR version of this buggy and it does look very promising. Ofcourse like anything else it does require loctite. It is new, but I haven't heard anything terrible about it. Infact I have heard a lot of good things. The only trouble with the RTR version is that it comes with a .26 size motor and if your track regulates the motor size you might have some issues..

Travis

I'm not worried about that at present, if I get serious about it and there's an issue with the .26, I'll just slap it in another vehicle and install a new one accordingly.

I am more than likely going to purchase an O.S .21 RG for a backup motor for tracks that have regulations. My local track does not regulate engine size, so the .26 is ok to race.

Travis

I just bought a used one off of RCUniverse. It should arrive on Wednesday.

BTW,
I was at our local track last week. the guy next to me was running an O.S.21,VZB. He told me NOT to buy that motor, as they tend to loose compression very quickly. He also said that OS had replaced that same motor twice within several months. This doesn't mean that they are all bad, but I will strongly consider it when looking at a new motor.

I have heard the VZB had some production issues which made it less than favorable which is a surprise for OS. That being said, I hear that the new V-Spec from OS is just the poop. I think there's a few guys here who run them and I've seen some very favorable reviews of that one.

I'd like to know which ones are good and which one to avoid.

The O.S .21 RG is a popular engine at my local track and I hear its very easy to tune and quite reliable to boot.

Travis

I've heard good things about the OS RG motor. It's cheap and from what I've seen, it's pretty quick for the price (about $100.) A few of the guys at the track picked these up when all their Hyper 8-port engines died.

I might get one if I see it for cheap on eBay or something. It's good to have backup engines. Especially if you're about to put together a whole other buggy because you realized you have almost all the parts to do so in your parts bin =)

Most places have the .21 RG for $109 and its not a bad deal.

Travis

am putting my mayhem pro "together" now...it is top-notch..i had crappy mbx and there is just no comparison...all milled parts, precision fits...very nice...

now if if i can just et my freakin 8-port hyper installed...:(

Back