How Will the Lightning Pro2 Hold Up to Heavy Bashing?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was thinking about getting a Lightning Pro2, just for heavy bashing and jumping. I called a dealer and he told me that the HB Lightning Pro2 had brittle plastic parts. He said the Kyosho and Mugen had a lot better parts.

Well, I'm planning to get a Mugen or Kyosho for racing, but also wanted a less expensive buggy for just bashing hard and JUMPING HIGH. If the Lightning Pro2 is going to be brittle, maybe I should skip it.

Can anyone give me some feedback on it?

Thanks for any help,
Southern

If your just looking to bash,maybe look at the Xterminator buggy. Dont know all that much about the L2's

Everything I've heard about the Lightning says they are durable and make excellent bashers.

I think maybe your LHS doesn't make as much on an L2 as the others he mentioned ..not only is it as hardy as anything else he mentioned, the parts are also in my experience cheaper....all of which adds up to less $$$$$'s or £££££'s for him......I never reply solely on advice from LHS they are all biased...i wouldn't expect them not to be. Its their job to sell stuff.

If your wanting a basher, you can't beat the XTM X-terminators. E-bay has the best deals on these. Have one myself, durable as he**!!!!!

Ryan with savage said:
I think maybe your LHS doesn't make as much on an L2 as the others he mentioned ..not only is it as hardy as anything else he mentioned, the parts are also in my experience cheaper....all of which adds up to less $$$$$'s or £££££'s for him......I never reply solely on advice from LHS they are all biased...i wouldn't expect them not to be. Its their job to sell stuff.
Ryan are all Brit shops just out for the almighty Dollar errrr I mean £?......Or do they just switch into screw the yank mode when they hear the american accent? seems every time I've been there I get the sneaky feeling that I wouldn't want to turn around too long in any shop I visit...and no I'm not trying to bash on the whole country I guess I've just seen some pretty shady parts of it.. :shrug: ....Anyway as far as a basher goes where do you buy parts from If it's an LHS then consider what they stock first....if it's the internet you shop, then I say the GS pro models or the OFNA PBS buggies take a beating....I switched my 9.5 to PBS suspension and I can pound the snot out of it now.....it doesn't seem to handle as well as the C-hub steering did......... :cheers:

Yes, unless you smack it into a tree at 40+ MPH it is one tough buggy, and parts are alot cheaper than Mugen. I have both, and I've smashed them both. LOL!!!!!!

I am also selling the Lightning Pro 2 if you are interested in a used one, so some would also say I am a bit bias. Anyway, here is a link if you want to look.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26749

Plaidfish said:
Ryan are all Brit shops just out for the almighty Dollar errrr I mean £?......Or do they just switch into screw the yank mode when they hear the american accent? seems every time I've been there I get the sneaky feeling that I wouldn't want to turn around too long in any shop I visit...and no I'm not trying to bash on the whole country I guess I've just seen some pretty shady parts of it.. :shrug: ....Anyway as far as a basher goes where do you buy parts from If it's an LHS then consider what they stock first....if it's the internet you shop, then I say the GS pro models or the OFNA PBS buggies take a beating....I switched my 9.5 to PBS suspension and I can pound the snot out of it now.....it doesn't seem to handle as well as the C-hub steering did......... :cheers:

No they don't just switch to "screw the yank" mode......they screw everybody!!! I've found the best way to deal with shops it to know what you want before you walk in....and not get distracted by shiny new stuff....its difficult sometimes but you have to be strong!!!!!! But to be fair there are some good ones but you could make the point about any type of shop. Furniture, clothes, appliances they all want to sell you what they want you to buy, not necessarily what you want to buy?? Does that make sense??

Surely shops the world over are pretty much the same??? Aren't they????

Sort of...I mean there are plenty of selling motivated shops everywhere, I just seem to ONLY find shops like that overseas...My LHS will tell me if something is crap even when they carry it...or even go a step further and reffer me to online sites that sell what I want even when they can't sell the product themselves.....When I find shops this honest about products I tend to stick w/ them....and I'm lucky enough to always find "pro Shops" for whatever it is I'm into.....and I guess you're right about the "screw everbody" part. My friends (from London) were getting the same treatment....they just knew how to react.....I get irritated w/ pressure sales people and speak my mind instantly.....it didn't go over well in some shops I was in.....
sorry for derailling the thread......get the buggy you like and can get parts easily for is my advice to you......

Maybe i'm being a little harsh, my LHS does give me 10% discount each time i'm there!!!

What i have found a lot though is that if you ask 2 shops about "x" you will get 2 different opinions...

One will say "its utter cr@p try this instead its only £20 more" and the other will say "no they are great we've got 3 of 'em"

I think loyalty comes in to it actually...if you know the people in there and have spent ?????????'s you probably get better service and advice than you did on your 1st visit.

DarthRacer said:
Everything I've heard about the Lightning says they are durable and make excellent bashers.

I owned a Lighning Pro (1st version). It was indeed a great basher. I later purchased another one for racing and found out that they do indeed brake. Another sad fact is once they do break, parts are hard to find. I ended up selling both lightning buggies for $100 and getting an mbx5.

Anyway, that's my Lighning Pro story. I know they made a ton of changes to the front end on the L2P. I donno if it's as strong as the old original Pro.

bigfreak said:
I owned a Lighning Pro (1st version). It was indeed a great basher. I later purchased another one for racing and found out that they do indeed brake. Another sad fact is once they do break, parts are hard to find. I ended up selling both lightning buggies for $100 and getting an mbx5.

Anyway, that's my Lighning Pro story. I know they made a ton of changes to the front end on the L2P. I donno if it's as strong as the old original Pro.

bigfreak,

Have you found the MBX5 to be a lot stronger than the Lightning Pro?

Honestly, the stock mbx5 broke pretty easy for me. The front lower suspesion brace broke two weekends in a row. This year I've got what's pretty much a prospec mbx5. Well see how that does. Too much power + newbie driving skills = ultimate endurance test. :D

EDIT:

Also, the reason I switched is because 1) all buggies break, so if you can't get parts, what's the point? 2) if you need help, it's nice to have a community of folks around to help instead of a handful. I couldn't get enough steering on my Lightning Pro (close tight track). When I went looking for answers, no one was around to help. With the Mugen, there are droves of people with the buggy. I could just read other folks posts to figure out my own problems.

Don't take me wrong. I'm not knocking the Lightning buggies just cause I switched. If you're an old hand at buggy setup and you can round up the spares, the original Lightning Pro was a great value. After you sold the RTR engine, it only cost you a song.

Last edited:
Back