Hex head sizes for HexScrews GS Storm conversion kit???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

militarymaxx

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm trying to find out what size hex tools I need for this kit coming from Hex Screws. I emailed the company but only got a link back to their website. Looking at the list of what's in the bag, I think I know but want to be sure before I lay some serious money down on some Hudy, OFNA or Trinity tools.
Thanks.

So the rest of the forum knows: www.hexcrews.com good place to get a quality screw set. (12.9 and 10.9 grade screws)

The sizes you'll need are 1.5mm 2.0mm and 2.5mm. 3.0mm isn't a bad idea either. Also check out the Dynomite's tools. Same quality, lower price. I just started a thread today in general nitro (best $20 I ever spent).

Good screws and good drivers, you're on the right track man. :cheers:

Great, Thanks for the info. Now all I need to do is decide on which manufacturer. I've narrowed it down to Hudy, LOSI and OFNA. Hudy seems to be the higher priced of the three, but higher pricing doesn't always mean better. Not knocking the Dynamite tools but have had bad experiences with some of their other products.

Yeah hudy has a sort of bling to the name (but great drivers I'm sure).

In all honesty, I have this theory that all the brands you mentioned use the same materials and maybe even the same supplier. (for the tips anyway) Anyone that I know who has this type of driver (hudy, losi, ofna, trinity, <insert brand here>) swears their's is the best on the planet.

I figure it's all good. Pick the one that tickles you. I honestly wouldn't have picked up Dynamite if it wasn't just sitting on the shelf at the LHS. I've had mine for a year and I'm in boat of people who swear theirs is the best. :p

Last edited:
i have he THS ones 30 bucks very well spent tips look like new after a year of use

now for hex screws, just if u get them wat spray them with a light oil like wd40 or else they will rust up on u

when mine came they had a light coat of oil on them already.

i have sets of both the Dynamite tools and Hudy tools. both are great quality, neither shows any wear. though i do find myself reaching for the hudys more often simply because the handle is more comfortable. my hudys are the ProfiTools with the plastic handles.

flash that coating will wear off after a couple runs

Yeah, my one complaint about the Dynamite tools are the handles. When I do a lot of wrenching, my hand starts to cramp up. Other than that, I do really like my Dynamite tools.

BTW, I really like the HexHead screws.

I got that same Hudy set, but you'll need another tool for the bulkhead screws in that Hexscrews kit. They are larger then the other heads; a 7/64 bit fits perfectly. It could be 3.5mm but I'm not sure, so I just use my 7/64.

The hudy drivers are very nice. I did break the very small one, though, so I need a new shaft for it. It was entirely my fault, I put way too much pressure on it and it actually sparked when it busted.

I also recently got a few GS Racing tools (a hardened flat and phillips) and they seem to be very good quality as well, and they have a flat side so they don't roll all over the place like the hudy drivers, which is my only complaint about them.

I purchased two sets of the Hexscrews when I got them so I'd have lots of screws. It's a good idea because although they give you some extras, there's some sizes where you won't have any extra. Plus, it's nice to be able to give a person at the track a nice replacement screw if they need one.

Even though the Hexscrews are very strong, they rust. Make sure you keep them dry; after running either wipe down the bottom of your buggy with a WD-40 cloth or spray them dry with a compressor or can of air. The RC-Screws are rust-proof, but you pay for that luxery with screws that strip and bend easily because of the higher alloy to steel ratio.

Good luck!

good info CBreaker, alloy bolts are always tougher than stainless. I've never noticed my drivers rolling on me though. probibly because my pitbox has a nice rack on the side of it for the drivers ;-)

mattyk6 said:
Yeah, my one complaint about the Dynamite tools are the handles. When I do a lot of wrenching, my hand starts to cramp up.

Yeah, the Dynamite handles are huge. I enjoy that fact cause I have big hands and I can really get a solid crank on those really really stuck screws.

That's a good example of what I call "different strokes for different folks". What's good for me might not be good for you.

Back