Need help for Lightning2 setup

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyper 7 pro

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
need help for a good race setup for my lightning 2

many thanks Neil

Where will you be racing it?

My setup which works well is.....

Drilled out to 1.5mm piston holes on shocks front and back
60 weight oil front shocks, 45 rear.
5000 front diff 7000 centre and 1000 rear.
Stock white springs front
Mugen silver at rear (not sure of thickness)
Everything else is as stock.

Handles great....
got this set-up from the guy who came 2nd in my club championship last year with a lightning 2.

I've always ran mine pretty much stock. I don't know what stock shock oil is, but I put in 40 WT, and lowered it a touch. That's about it other than caster, camber, and toe, that depends on your driving style, and the track.

How about tires? What surfaces are you guys running on? How good are the stock tires?

My club track is very bumpy short grass and dirt.

Stock tyres are no good on this surface I use Medial Pro Turbo Rats when its wet or woops in the dry.

The stock tires did ok at my practice track. The surface there is just packed top soil, as we just killed the grass, and weed wacked it down to dirt. Acually in the opposite order. They wore out fast though. Still have plenty of tread, but the lugs are rounded off. I have some crimefighters that are awsome now, but I have a feelin they will do the same thing after a while. You can put them on backwards after the start loosing thier bite for one, or two more days of fun depending on the surface, and how much you drive it in a day. It always helps tires last longer, and you get better traction if the dirt is wetted first. On the clay surface at the local track I use custom tires. Here is a set that are starting to get loose on my Mugen. They have lasted about a gallon +/-. Not bad if you ask me.