$400 for a Buggy but which one

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarant

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys I am a Maxxer and I dont have a buggy.
I have never seen a buggy in action until a few days ago. I was at my lhs and they had a 777 something on the desk and it was awsome it was big and powerful looking then they took it out in the back ally and let it rip and damn it was sweet all I can say is I want one I wont be getting one soon if ever but I would like to know what a good RTR buggy would be for a first time buggyer for around $400

I was looking at those I would also like somthing with alot of aftermarket stuff not like a tmaxx but still have a good touch of am

FLEA BAY would be your best bet for something like that....I see OFNA 9.5 pros w/ B-I-N options under 400 all the time....most people here seem to like the Hyper-7 PBS and they go for less......just use your head when bidding, check FB and how long they have been selling.....

Take a look at the Hyper 7 PBS or PCR, they are a great buggy.

Here is a great price on a PBS Ofna PBS

I though I might warn you about the financial pitfalls of owning a buggy. Buggys are not cheap and they suck you in. That Kyosho 777 that you saw at the hobby shop is a great example. The 777 is a kit and it probably runs $500-$600 and that's with our an engine, pipe, radio and servos. How much is that other stuff? Well you gotta figure $300 for a good engine. And two good servos will run you a bill per, so that's $200. Radio will be about $250. Pipe can run you 80-100 clams. Now you've put 1.5 grand into a buggy and we didn't even start on the hopups!!

If you're headin down this road, remember years later I told ya so. :p

bigfreak said:
I though I might warn you about the financial pitfalls of owning a buggy. Buggys are not cheap and they suck you in. That Kyosho 777 that you saw at the hobby shop is a great example. The 777 is a kit and it probably runs $500-$600 and that's with our an engine, pipe, radio and servos. How much is that other stuff? Well you gotta figure $300 for a good engine. And two good servos will run you a bill per, so that's $200. Radio will be about $250. Pipe can run you 80-100 clams. Now you've put 1.5 grand into a buggy and we didn't even start on the hopups!!

If you're headin down this road, remember years later I told ya so. :p

Remember though, engines can be had for down to $130, pipes $60, Servos $50 a piece, radio $100. It won't be top-of-the-line but you can still run a buggy spending a little less cash. Don't get me started on tires though. This is where your pocketbook is going to take a at least a $60 hit a few times a season if you are racing.

Here are a few links to peak your interest, and let you know what you are getting into with a buggy.

Here is a heck of a deal on an engine that probably has way too much power for your first buggy.
http://rushrc.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/25_295/products_id/6531

The Hyper 8 port listed here for $120 is IMO about the best bang for the buck.
http://nitrohouse.com/eng,_ofna_hyper_21.htm

You are going to want an FM radio, so here are a few options from $96, and up with servos, but you'll want to upgrade the steering servo asap.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVSEARCH=FM+radio&FVPROFIL=++

I use this for a steering servo. It's not the best, but it does the trick pretty cheap.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUZ89&P=ML

Some buggies come with pipes, and the JP-1 pipe I have wasn't really cheap, but there is what $120 for an engine, as low as $100 for a radio w/ servos for $220 +shipping, and if you can afford another $40 for a steering servo we are at $260. That is assuming you buy a pull start capable buggy, and you get don't have get a starter box, and you are ok with AA's instead of a Rx pack, and charger......

So there you have it. You can spend as much as you like. From $290 to what ever you want.

well when u got your first car did u drop huge amounts to buy it. I am not new to nitro and I wont be racing in high class with pro racers I just wont something that can be a good first buggy I dont wont to drop a grand just to get started.

The OFNA 9.5 PBS is a nice starter buggy with decent factory upgrades offered for when you get more serious. In RTR I have seen it for way under 400.00. Great deal and you are ready to break it in day one that way. You can upgrade the radio, Rx, and servos later, then get the cool suspension pieces and a new pipe later.

you can find good deals on lightly raced buggies such as Kanai III or 777 and the engine will run in the $200-300 range so you can get a great buggy for well under $1k. You can use Hitec servos and you are ready to ROCK!

revo rancher I'm not sure what this is "The OFNA 9.5 PBS is a nice starter buggy with decent factory upgrades"? Did i miss something or is that a combo of two ofna buggys? I have done this research my self and have came to the conclusion thats the ofna hyper 7 pbs is the best buggy under 400 for me and a large number of people on this forum. I fell it is very tough and handles nicely on the track. If you looking fo a ready to run i would take an ofna over anything in that price range :dance:

OFNA buggy basher said:
revo rancher I'm not sure what this is "The OFNA 9.5 PBS is a nice starter buggy with decent factory upgrades"? Did i miss something or is that a combo of two ofna buggys? I have done this research my self and have came to the conclusion thats the ofna hyper 7 pbs is the best buggy under 400 for me and a large number of people on this forum. I fell it is very tough and handles nicely on the track. If you looking fo a ready to run i would take an ofna over anything in that price range :dance:

Yeah what is that? There is an Ofna 9.5 Violator with the kingpin suspension and then there is the Hyper 7 PBS. Did you just upgrade the kingpin set up to a Pillow Ball Suspension set up?

Ah, yes, I did type a little too quick. The model I was referring to was the Ultra 9.5 "MBX". Anyhow, OFNA buggy basher , you quoted my statement out of context. Be more careful as you removed the basis of my meaning by changing the context severely. (never mind the poor English skills to go with it)

Jon2:

Not sure where you are going with your statement. Maybe you want to read too much into things...

Tarant said:
well when u got your first car did u drop huge amounts to buy it. I am not new to nitro and I wont be racing in high class with pro racers I just wont something that can be a good first buggy I dont wont to drop a grand just to get started.

First car? Nitro Rush. I bought it off of my buddy for $20. He needed bar money. Then I bought a T-Maxx. Already had a JR XS3 befor I bought the Lightning, but to answer you question, yes. I paid $469 for it when it first came out, and $300 for my OS MAX VZB. It came with a pipe, and if you include the radio that at the time I bought it was $239 I think we are up to $1008, and that doesn't include a starter box. I replaced it with my Mugen MBX-5 Prospec one because the Prospec is a bad a$$ buggy, and two because the Lightning was hard to find parts for every time it broke. That is why I ended up buying spares when I found them. Don't know if it still is hard to find parts for, or not. It hase been sitting idle for some time. Also along the way I bought a MTX-3 from the F/S F/T forums on this site, but I really haven't had the chance to mess with it much. :2cents:

I owna lightning and the parts used to be hard to find but now they are all on tower just type in lightning in the search and brows through the pages they offer aluminum a arms and shocks i recently broke my tanks and bought it at tower just hte other night Yeah the lightning is a great buggy i have the lightnig tahts 289$ and i put a nitro star .25 in it i tell ya it screams like a bat outta hell it sreally fast jsut take your time and look around and try and find the best buy. Good Luck

anybody buy your car when u were 15 cause here u can't have a job that young and the only $ i got was from well, I never got $ i had to pass a christmas and b day and do yard work to get my maxx and even then it was a sportmaxx.

the lightning seems to be pretty pop do u guys agree or not. what do u think of the L2 and is it much better then the L1

save your money, even if u can get a buggy at 400, u wont get all u need to run it right or u'll get a 2nd class buggy which isnt what u'll wanna have.

-Ult

Back