What tires to buy for dirt/clay?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throttle

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm going to start running my buggy on my track this year and I'm wondering what tires give the best grip on a dirt/clay mix? I will have some loose dirt also. I'm looking at the Proline mugshots and needed some input.

Thanks guys

Scott.

I run komodo dragon II 's. Med compund.

Hey I'm really not trying to derail your thread but I'm kinda wanting the opposite cuz i would like some for onroad cuz the off road ones just wear down to easily. I'm wanting a set for on and one set for off road. Really sorry to interupt your thread but didnt want to waste starting up another. Hey iv looked and I'm getting the badlands for mine and i run in clay and dirt all the time. Heres the ones I'm getting for off road
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHAF4&P=ML

I looked at the badlands and the knobs are too close and the dirt/clay will get packed. I've read the badlands are good for high grass and heavy loose dirt. When you dealing with a dirt/clay mix, I need a tire that won't build up.

Scott

Proline makes and onroad tire for buggies called road rage or something like that. They wear real well. I disagree with the badlands as they are one of the few that have a wide spacing for a buggy tire. If it was a sticky damp type clay then they would do good but a hard pack dry they are not soft enough to give great grip. Hard pack I run the komodos dragon II's and softer sticky light muddy type I run something like these.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCMT8&P=0

if it's wet clay get pin step style if it's dry clay I use crimefighters or komodos.....if it's really dry bulletproof clay cellblocks but you will eat them up....the tire you get really needs to depend on the surface yuo're driving on....

Guys around here were staying away from the crime fighters because they were building up. These are the mugshots and have great spacing between the knobs.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDVB7&P=7

What I'm dealing with is packed surface in some areas and loose dirt/clay in others. And if I'm running when it's muddy somewhat,I may have issues with build up. So that's why I'm leaning towards the mugshots. I will look at the others you guys have stated and see.

Scott.

best advice, look at what every1 else is runnin. what people say online that havent seen ur track and live in all parts of the country/world w/different types of earth can't really help you.

-Ult

get a box and start collecting wheel sets....you will need a bunck of different treads if you're getting into racing anyway.....try as many as you can and get your freinds to let you test some of their shoes on your ride......I have 5 different treads and a set of road rage tires for the buggy.....

The buggy class is just starting at the local track this year, so I can't ask until they start racing which is why I'm asking here. I'd like to order now and be ready when the snow melts. I see your point ULt and thanks for the info. I will just have to do some more reading on the tires and go with what the reviews say.

Scott.

Hey Scott, check out some of these tires... I ran a set of the "Grip" treadz, & they were incredible on loose dirt. You might want to try out the "Bulldog" tires... There damn good quality tires too...

http://www.treadztires.com/Tires.html

I almost bought the grips from RushRC when they were on sale but I didn't have any info. What did you use last year at the ECB and did they work?
I'm right around the corner from that track and that's the dirt I'll be dealing with on my track. DarthRacer bought the mugshots and I can't wait for him to run because I'll be the one he's racing against. Let me know what you ran last year?

Scott.

I ordered the Mugshots in M2 BTW because Proline discontinued making some of their tires in the XTR.

Scott I had Proline Knuckles on my Storm at the ECB and the grip was pretty poor. I could not nail the throttle out of the turns for fear of fish tailing.

I'm also going to test to see how the stock L2P tires hook up and maybe experiment with cutting the treads down. They are like the Crimefighters but the blocks seem to be a little taller.

scotthg1 said:
Guys around here were staying away from the crime fighters because they were building up. These are the mugshots and have great spacing between the knobs.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDVB7&P=7

Scott, first you can't pick the tire and we can't pick the tire. The track must pick the tire. I've been at some indoor tracks where it's solid clay that's a bit damp. Running mugshots on this stuff would be like putting your buggy on an ice skating rink. I've also been to some other tracks where the dirty is so loose and floamy that the smaller pin type tires load up with dirt and cause basically the same effect.

How the track is mantained, what dirt it's made out of and several other factors dictate which tires will "hookup" best. How do you know which tire to use? Go find the track vetrins. Who wins the races? Who comes in a second and third? What tires are they using? In short, talk to people at the track.

Hope this helps.

for instance (and thus i said what i said) the indoor track i run at, i ran the buggy there 4 the 1st time last wk for fun. tried a friend's knuckles after seeing my CFs wouldnt work. they were even worse. this track (sticky sprayed hard clay) needs slix and no exceptions.

now my local outdoor track is dirt w/high quartz and mineral content. hard dusty and ripply. nothing has shown to outdo the CFs or similar style tires.

gotta let the track tell you.

-Ult

Last edited:
Well then I will probably have to wait until they start racing. That won't be for another two months. Thanks for the info guys.

I was actually shipped Knuckles 2.0 in M2 instead of the Mugshots. Oh well. I may just try those. I hope they are better than the original Kunckles in XTR.

I've found that Crimefighters hook up the best on a variety of different track types. Good overall tire if you ask me. If the track is dry/wet/everywhere in between like the track around here tend to be, I'd suggest finding a set of tires with a good range of usability. To me, that's Crimefighters.

Your mileage may vary, and like someone else suggested, I'd start with the tires other folks have been using and taking it from there.

Hey Darth,I thought you ordered the Mug shots? Why don't you return them if you already have a set of the knuckles?

Back