Xterm Diffs are ticking me off

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

I am trying to get rid of the grease that came in my Xterm Pro's diffs and man what a problem I am having. I can't even figure out what I need to take off of the center and rear end of the car to get to the diffs. Then on the front once I had the grease out I don't know how much silicone to put in so i just guessed and I am not even sure I filled the right side of the diff. IT will not go back together. This was supposed to be an easy job. Why in the hell didn't XTM put silicone in there to begin with. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tom

Hmm most rtr Buggies come with grease if not all I think. Check your gear locanted underneath the Main gear. Is it sitting on the pin? Are your cross pins that hold the bevel gears sitting on each other where the notch is? I had that problem as well.

Jon2,

That is just it... The X-Term Pro is not an RTR, it is not a full kit it comes like 80% assembled. I guess you can call it an RTR. I was hoping that this buggy was a little better than RTR. Guess I was way wrong. Should have gone OFNA. I am still learning and I am thinking I made a big mistake getting an X-term Pro. Not to many people run one and I have not gotten good feed back at all.

I thought I had the bevel gears and pins lined up right. I will have to recheck the notch to make sure. After thinking about it that is probably the problem. Do you know what I need to remove to get to the middle and rear diffs? Thanks for your help. I will check the alignment with the notch as soon as I get home. Thanks again.

Tom

Do you have the manual?

Yes I do. I have been looking at the exploded views and I thought I was seeing them correctly. There are no words in the manual however.. just pics

Tom

sounds like a parts blow out not a manual, Jon2 is right if it wont go back together you can't have all the locator pins lined up correctly,
as far as the middle dif goes, every car i have ever had comes apart the same, undo the brake assembly on the top of the center dif, un do the four screws that hold the dif down to the chassis, pull diff out and the mounts should just pull off the dif. what the exact name of the car and i will try to find you a manual or at least some one else that has one

Thanks I would appreciate all the help I can get.

The Buggy is an XTM X-Terminator Pro. It has never been run. I just got it about 3 weeks ago. I am thinking I made a poor choice in a buggy. I didn't get alot of positive feedback. Once I get the diffs apart and the grease out, which side of the diff do I fill with Silicone and how much. Thanks again guys I am just really frustrated at the fact I should be able to do this, and that I believe I made a poor choice in a buggy. Thanks

Tom

I have a friend with two. It is a pretty cool buggy. Same as yours. I think you need to step back and look at the diff again. check the assembly. make sure the gears are in properly and the cross pins are sitting on each other.

there is bugger all of a manual for this car on the net, just a basic rtr style manual is all that there seems to be, fill your diffs with silicone oil so the oil covers the spider gears, do this while you have the main drive gear off, best weights of oil are 7000middle, 5000front, 3000-250 rear, i would asume that your difs are of similar design to the others, if you have been running grease just check that there is an o-ring seal at each end of the dif, or all the oil will fall out :)
looking at there web site, take the ring gear off pull the dif to bits clean grease off dif, reassemble leaving off top plate 3/4 fill dif with silicone oil and put top cap and ring gear back on,
Must admit that there difs are not up with the play

not sure if using silicone oil will actualy make any difference to your difs, they do not us a tapered spider gear, more the old barrel style diff

Last edited:
Thanks Mike and Jon,

I will take another stab at this. I just need to take a step back like you said have a beer and just relax... this stuff is supposed to be fun right? :shrug:

Thanks again for all of your help. I will keep you up to date on the progress.... if there is any. :hammer:

Tom

If I were you, I'd strip down the buggy and check everything out. You don't have to do it all together. Take apart the rear end, put it back together, etc. You'll figure out how everything goes as soon as you do that. I got my Storm RTR in the winter time and I knew nothing about these things. I didn't know anyone with an R/C car. I was surprise how big and heavy it was! Before I even put it down on the track, I took the whole thing apart and put it back together. I was lucky; the Storm RTR comes with an excellent manual. But I didn't need it very much, there's not much to these things when you get right down to it. You have the advantage of already being into R/C, so you know more then I did.

I think your buggy will be fine; you can make almost any buggy drive nice and handle well if you put enough time into them!

ps. You'll have to change out the diff fluid periodically as normal maintenence, so I guess it's good to know how to do it now. Don't be worried when you pour out black diff fluid the first time you change it, it's normal =)

Thanks Cbreaker for the encouraging words. I have been into RC off and on my entire life, from electrics, to planes, and now for the last year nitro. The T-Maxx so far has been a breeze to work on. The Xterm has posed more of a challenge. I guess I was expecting a little much and not giving myself enough time to just relax and figure it out. That is the whole reason I bought this buggy in the winter... so I could spend the winter wrenching and adding hop ups here and there. I really appreciate all of your help. You have given good advice in a couple of my recent posts and I can't thank you enough. Just relax and have fun right? Well I will let you know how it goes. The rest of my diff oil should be in Friday so we shall see. I should also be getting the RPM A arms for my Maxx on Friday too along with a set of Ti pins. This weekend is going to busy. Sunday is a wash cuz the 500 will be on but I have Monday off for a holiday. Take care and maybe I will catch on the track one day.

Tom

I sent a step by step tutorial to mayhem the other day, its a step by step diff build. It should be up in a day or so.

vbgagnon said:
I sent a step by step tutorial to mayhem the other day, its a step by step diff build. It should be up in a day or so.

XTerm Diffs or just diffs in general? Either way I appreciate your help. My LHS gives advice however they would charge me big time for the amount of info I have recieved from all of you guys. Thanks a million!

Tom

Diffs in general, the one I did was from a hotbodies Lightning Stadium truck, but the internals are exactly the same as my hyper diffs.

Back