anything i can do with this buggy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdie_in_texas

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i am newb to 1/8th scales..but i traded a couple of airplane servos for a buggy..it is ofna ultra lbx or something..i am sure it is cheap and crappy...but what can i do with it..?

the guy sent me his new motor and everything..it is a ofna hyper something or other..price on the box is $349.95..!

also sentme a box load of parts, it has what looks like new tires/wheels a couple of pipes..the pipe is a bad ass lookin brand new twin stinger lookin thing...anodized blue..one guy told me what it was, but i forget..is someones name..like peepee cepek or something?

anyways...is there anything about htis buggy worth messing with? i have a savage to bash around with...but i kind of wanted to race sportman on the johnny cool-guy raceway...

so..is this just a waste of time?

what would you all suggest? it seems to be in nearly new condition...

If it is your first one I would keep it and learn from it. Learn to drive it since you got it.

They are a good first buggy and for what you have into it you can't go wrong. If you end up getting into 1/8th buggy in a big way you can sell it and upgrade to a better one from there.

several years ago i was racing 1/10th scale impacts, 2WD and 4WD..did terrible at the Texas Biggie..also ran 1/10th scale RC10GT and had a mbx4 XR..had crono 3-port long-stroke..sold it before i raced it...but ran the GT to death then traded it with the CVR's for a 9C...and got into planes...

so i can drive..but have been out of it for like 3 or 4 years...drove the mugen in a circle for about 5 minutes before someone offered me big cash for it..so i never got to race 1/8th scale...

i know this ofna is considered garbage from reading some posts now...but you guys are right..since i have it, might as well race it till it disintegrates..which from reading the posts, should be about 3 or 4 laps into the first heat...

am already reading thru eyeballing the hyper7 PCR...for themoney that seems like something worth looking at...

i do not have funds for big money stuff like a new mugex or X8 or whatever they are...

but maybe this one will actually last long enough to see if i like it or not...i am done forever with on-road...and i love bashing withmy savage..but i think i am gonna want to stick with 1/8th scale and just have some fun...

also..the motor that this guy bought for the thing..it has a damn boost chamber..

last i remember, the boost chambers were more for monster truck type stuff...and guys used to dog on the ofna stuff back when i was runnin...what is the opinion of this hyper motor with i think it says 8-ports and a boost chamber..?

seems like more of an on-road motor with all those ports...?

birdie_in_texas said:
several years ago i was racing 1/10th scale impacts, 2WD and 4WD..did terrible at the Texas Biggie..also ran 1/10th scale RC10GT and had a mbx4 XR..had crono 3-port long-stroke..sold it before i raced it...but ran the GT to death then traded it with the CVR's for a 9C...and got into planes...

so i can drive..but have been out of it for like 3 or 4 years...drove the mugen in a circle for about 5 minutes before someone offered me big cash for it..so i never got to race 1/8th scale...

i know this ofna is considered garbage from reading some posts now...but you guys are right..since i have it, might as well race it till it disintegrates..which from reading the posts, should be about 3 or 4 laps into the first heat......

They aren't garbage just some people prefer certain ones. I have the PCR PRO and love it. THe only reason I am getting rid of it is due to the amount of cars I now have. Your Ofna is a great platform to start on.

birdie_in_texas said:
am already reading thru eyeballing the hyper7 PCR...for themoney that seems like something worth looking at......
They are! They come with PBS and C hub suspension. Beefy towers and braces. Worth the money. TOO much hype on the Bigger name rides.

birdie_in_texas said:
i do not have funds for big money stuff like a new mugex or X8 or whatever they are...

but maybe this one will actually last long enough to see if i like it or not...i am done forever with on-road...and i love bashing withmy savage..but i think i am gonna want to stick with 1/8th scale and just have some fun...

Having fun is whats its all about. Learn and move on when you are ready!.

Welcome to 8th scale it's a lot of fun. You're right about the ofna ultra buggies. My son raced one last year. I didn't put a big enough engine in it for him to do much damage, but he bent a couple of shock towers and broke a few lower arms anyway. I've seen pics of the ultra buggies with the whole front end smashed up making the chassis look like a V.

It might be fun to toss out on the track and see what it's like, but if you wanna get serious, buy something better: kyosho, mugen, xray or even ofna hyper 7 would do fine. The Kyosho "Sports" is a little flimsey though (IMO).

Good luck and again welcome. :cheers:

thanks for the welcome...very kind of you fellas..!

i have spent about 3 hours now this morning (am bored at work) reading and trying to get "caught up" on what i missed while flying planes and trying to re-learn what i knew...lots of changes and LOTs of new companies..

like mayhem..? sportwerks? lightening? rdlogics? all are new since i got out of it...

lots and lots of choices to make...i think i am going to start getting rid of my big plane stuff...if i get rid of one gas plane i should be able to get a couple of new top-of-the-line buggies ready to go...

i am so burned on flying...way worse than i was sick of racing on-road and stuff..just have got to make up my mind..i don't have a trailer to haul my big planes in anyways..let alone a truck anymore...so might as well get something i want to "play" with...

sooo...would the hyper7 PCR version of the PBS actually be competitive in the sportsman/lower classes? there are several full-time year-round tracks here now...and none of them look that hard...but again...i am sure i am thinking i am better than i am after laying out for this long...

well..thanks for your comments and suggestions....i look forward to getting to know the guys on the boards and getting back into the "swing of things" in off-road...

please keep the thoughts/suggestions flowing...

thanks again!

birdie :)

Good luck with your research. From what I've seen my two or so seasons at the track, a buggy is a buggy. It kind of comes down to personal preference (at least at the my level of driving). Myself, I don't like to pay the Kyosho prices on parts. $10 bottle of diff fluid... yeah right... I however can't walk into the Hobby Shop at our track and expect to find anything but Kyosho parts on the wall. I have to special order my stuff through my hobby shop, but I'm fine with that. I like Mugen, you may like Hyper and yet a third guy may like Kyosho. When we all get up on that driver's stand, however, it doesn't really matter. A buggy is a buggy and who ever can make the most laps wins.

Anyway, just my :2cents:

There isn't anything bad about the PCR Pro though. My LHS owner races one and seems to like it.

Poeople tend to say that what ever they are driving is the bees knees, more because if it isnt then what they have brought was a waist of money, every buggy on the market today is capable of winning the A main, just some of the buggies are a little less prone to breakage than others

Mike is right....I just got an MBX-5 and I'm double thinking going prospec instead, B4 I run it......I've been running a OFNA 9.5 pro and it seems pretty good for me....but it's the little things like having to order replacemnet parts all the time......Mugen is well stocked at my LHS aswell as Kyosho and X-ray......w/ me I tried the 9.5 to see if I liked buggies and HELL YEAH I DO!!! I had a bunch of MTs before and I thought those were the shot.....buggies are way more track oriented for performance........I still bash w/ my maxxes but I want to get into racing 1/8 scale fo sure.....

i definately need something that is supported locally with parts, as i fear that my driving abaility on the track has suffered...!:)

i am gonna see what all i can find and start lookin up ole "racin' bud" and see what all they got or try to find a deal...there are some good lookin deals here on this site...

yea i had an ofna ultra LX pro. it was my first buggy. the chassis is pretty sturdy and stiff, but at the same time it felt kind of flimsy. the diffs were always having problems, i would always have to change my diff gears and it was a pain. eventually i figured out what was wrong and put really thin shims in until the gears meshed good. well... i solved that problem... so now i have motor trouble. the .25 motor that some with this buggy is very bad. i had all kinds of problems with it. I'm not even gonna list all the problems becuase there is so many. you wont need to worry about that though because he gave you a new engine. i am telling you this becuase you are probably talking about the ofna ultra MBX. the 2 are very similar, their are only minor differences between the 2.

it was a good starter buggy though and it taught me alot about how to take the buggy apart and stuff. i had fun with it and i think that you will also. good luck!

birdie_in_texas said:
i definately need something that is supported locally with parts, as i fear that my driving abaility on the track has suffered...!:)

i am gonna see what all i can find and start lookin up ole "racin' bud" and see what all they got or try to find a deal...there are some good lookin deals here on this site...

Yeah man. parts, parts, parts head out to the LHS and see what they stock.

Also, a racin bud is key so you don't have to walk down off the driver's stand every 7.5 minutes to refuel durring the A-Main. :)

i gots ta find me a "Pit Bitch"..!! :)

I play pit bitch every time I go tto the track on race day...I haven't entered yet but when I do everybody better remember all the pit time I've put in....

Rolex said:
I've got planes, jets, cars, boats and a heli. It's easier to fly than to drive.
gotto admit your not right there, except when your 5000 dollar heli fallls from he sky it kinda makes you wince :)

I had a chance to buddy pilot a heli and was asked "isn't this fun? Isn't this relaxing?"
F#*K NO.....it was the most stressful 2 mins of my life knowing that I had some 7500 dollar toy just a slit second away from being trashed......why anyone would want to do that to themselves is beyond me.....Rolex you must either have nerves of steel or pockets like the Grand Canyon.....either way congratulations.....

Last edited:
Plaidfish said:
I had a chance to buddy pilot a heli and was asked "isn't this fun? Isn't this relaxing?"
F#*K NO.....it was the most stressful 2 mins of my life knowing that I had some 7500 dollar toy just a slit second away from being trashed......why anyone would want to do that to themselves is beyond me.....Rolex you must either have nerves of steel or pockets like the Grand Canyon.....either way congratulations.....
learning to fly a heli is an exsperience yes
but once you can fly its great
i rebuilt my robbie about 5 times before i got rid of idea of fllying, the heli itself is not that exspensive, its all the damn radio gear that goes in them that is

i was dumb enough to learn helis on a FP Hornet...ugh...what a squirrel that little micro POS was...the zoom 400 is much better ...and i have a friend here..12th in the world..that is a JR pilot and he has offered to letmehave his venture to "really learn" on..but if i can;t afford to fix it, i ain't flyin it!

i got rid of my 35% Carden and also a 28% extra that was gonna be my imac plane for this season....:(

one of these days i am gonna get lucky at lotto and have a big trailer full of 40%'ers..! hahahaha

flew a turbine maverick..whew..!! $12000 and clocked at 280mph straight and level..i think i sweated about 15 pounds on that flight! only and last time i ever fly something that expensive..!

Back