good setup?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmytimmy14

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
-hot bodies lightning 2RR RTR or RD logics SHO or kyosho inferno 7.5 RTR
-switching out stock motor for O.S RG-X w/ pullstart
-switching out stock steering servo with futaba S3305 (RD logics already comes with high torque servo so i wont be changing that out on the RD logics)

leaving the rest alone for now.

i do have a couple of questions though... (questions apply for both buggy's)

-will the clutch parts from the stock motor fit the O.S motor I'm putting in, or will i have to buy a whole new clutch set?

-how does the "jump start" system work with the stock .26 motor? (only for hot bodies lightning)

-is this a reliable buggy or will i have a load of problems?

-is it easy to get parts for this buggy or will i have a major hard time finding parts when i break them? is there a website to get parts easily? if so... can you give it to me?

- is it a durable buggy or will it break when i jump off a kicker ramp?

i am extremely excited to get into 1/8th scale. it is definatley the most expensive one though. as soon as i get enough money i will get my setup. right now i have about 400 dollars. I'm almost there.

also... could you give me a couple more buggy's that compete with these? i am trying to get the best value for my buck while still getting an extremely reliable RTR buggy.

thanks...

Last edited:
rtr, reliable, same sentence
lightnings are reliable for a rtr, but most rtrs on the market are base line copy cat cars, a good way to start in off road, most clutchs fit standard style motors, with the odd exception, the rd logics car is the cheapest rtr around that I'm aware of and is yet to be proven, ask corradopsi about it he seems to know more on this buggy than most, at least about its birthing history anyway:) the lightning or sacker pro 2 is a quick car, its longgevity has a bit to be desired though compaired to the mugens, xb8s,
parts are of realative ease to come by and are dirt cheap which is an up side to them, and they do seem to make and develop upgrades continuously for them, my sacker (lightning) wears very quick compaired to my mugens but, considering you can replace all the wearing parts on it for under 100 bucks its not a bad car,
are you buying the rgx or do you allready have it, if not maybe look at the price dif between the rg-x and a vzb v-spec, see if its in your price range.

Mike

I've been reading up on the Lightning and the RDLogics. So far not a lot of info on the RDLogics but it looks to be an updated copy of the PRP Swift. I myself I'm looking into getting the RDL Sho but am in no hurry and I want more info first. The lightning I have read about on the forums and its known to be a good car. Its is based off the Inferno 7.5 design and apparently its won a national or some championship (I forget which) Only thing though its very tough to get support especially through the Hotbodies website. Parts can be found but not overly easily. The Swift (RDLogics SHO) has good parts support through PRP's dealers. The Inferno 7.5 rtr I dont know much about but of course the Inferno series of cars have been top notch designs for years. You'll have to do more digging to find out more on it.
Overall you can't go wrong with a lot of the 1/8th buggys of today. They all have theyre weaknesses and stong points. To answer your questions individually;

Clutch parts are quite universal as far as I know. You have either 2 or 3 shoe clutches.You may have to cut your shaft on the OS to fit the flywheel/clutch assembly. If you buy from a good dealer who knows theyre product, they will tell you in more detail.

Jump start system I'm not in the know about. You should go with a bump start (using a starter box) if your going to race. Pull start systems can wear out and your motor will have a little less power then if it didnt have one (drag).

All 3 should be reliable with normal operation, (40 foot jumps! LOL)

parts availability.Read above. See your local dealer also.

Another good alternative is to buy a kit and build it up the way you want. This way your not wasting $ on undesirable engines and electronics and you will also learn how your car goes together. Dont forget to look at the Hyper 7. It will meet or exceed all your expectation mentioned above.
I know your probably overwhelmed about the amount of buggys available. Yes there are a ton of them and you probably wont go wrong with many of them. You will read good and bad things about all of them. Some people may have had a bad time getting parts or a diff that would not hold together, ect and they condemmn the car. Others will say nothing but greatness about the very same car. You have to read between the lines if your just going to go by forums comments. Like I said before, go to a race and check some racing out. 1/8th scale is not an easy class to master. It is probably the most demanding for maintenence, parts, driving skill, persistence and above all......$$$$$$$$$$. Do not for one second think you can go buy a RTR and be top qualifier at trophy or regional race. The people up front have gone down a long road of to get where they got.
You have $400? Well keep saving :)

FYI: I may get flamed on this post for stating information I got from reading forums. Actually I bought my first 1/8th back in 1987 (Turbo Burns) and raced with a small group of 6 or so others for about 3-4 years. So ya I've not had an 1/8th for 12+ years but I can tell you from experience the principals are the same. If anything the cost has gone down a little.

Back