which buggy... I'm a noob to 1/8th scale.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmytimmy14

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey guys. i have been racing 1/10th scale touring cars for a couple of years now. and i want to get into the 1/8th scale buggy class. I'm not sure which one to get. price is not really a factor. i was thinking about getting a hyper 7 pro. i also need help with what kind of motor i want. i need a motor that is extremely reliable and easy to break in and fast. i hear good things about the wasp .28 motor. also, when i buy a motor for my buggy does it come with a clutch and a clutch bell and all that stuff. if it doesn't then which ones should i get. help me out guys...

Last edited:
I like the wasp .28 also but if your into racing its out of the question. :devious:
I also like the hyper 7 pbs and hope to get one for my b-day :hammer:

You might want to try the search function as this subject has been discussed in great detail over and over again.

goin buggy, go underpowered. big motors will only mess u up and thus break.

-ult

Timmy, I assume you want to race, well check out what other cars are running at the track. Ask the owners about what they like/dislike about each one. Also ask them about motors. From the "locals" I've talked to, the hyper 7 is a good choice, and so is the OS RG 21 engine. The OS is reliable, smooth power and economical to buy and run.

kamlooper. see that is the problem. i dont have a track anywhere near me that i know about. i live in central jersey. i have been trying to find a track but have had no luck.

I picked up a Hyper 7 PCR with a .21 engine. It is a really nice buggy for the money. A lot of the guys around here were telling me that at some of the races they frown on having anything bigger than a .26 in your chassis. Something to consider. The Hyper 7 8 port really screams, though.

timmytimmy14, there is a massive 1/8th buggy track just east of the PA/Jersey line near Philly. It's called Hobby Hut.

Be prepared to spend a lot.

The most popular buggy has to be the Kyoshos. They have the 777 Special 1 or whatever it's called. They also still sell the kanai 3 buggies too.

Next if you want to spend a little less, but have a little harder time finding parts, there is the Mugen mbx5. The prospec version of the mbx5 is nice. One of the advantages over the K cars is that the parts are cheaper when you break.

A new comer to the 8th scale buggy world is the Xray XB8. A lot of folks rave about the thing, but I donno much more than that.

As with all 8th scale kits you'll have to buy en engine seperately. The RB WS7II engines are popular. Also, the O.S. VSpec engine is real popular too. A little off the beaten track, but my favorite is the Novarossi engines (P5 and 412B).

You'll need good radio equipment. You TX/RX may cut it, but you need some good servos. The Airtronics 358/357 work good for steering/throttle respectively. A lot of 8th scale buggy racers use the 358/357 servos.

Anyway, that's a real quick answer to you question. If you'd like further info, search the forum like NCNitro said.

Back