odd problem with rb s7II ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dje

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I used my buggy this afteernoon in quite cold damp conditions so it required richening up about 1/4 turn on the hsn. Half way through the first tank it suddenly went very rich and would not clean out then as if by magic it cured itself !This continued to happen during the next tank aswell to the point where it would run very rich and then very lean to lean in fact so i switched off to avoid damage. All this was happening without me touching the needles . Once at home i checked allfuel lines etc for holes i pressure checked the tank checked the motor for air leaks all seem fine. The only thing that did not seem brilliant was the plug (rb # 6) could a plug cause this problem ? any thoughts would be much appreciated

a plug could definatly cause that problem. Change your plug and try it again, if that doesn't help try taking off your carb and back plate and sealing them with some silicone sealant, and that should do the trick.

Just to be safe I would switch plugs and make sure the plug is screwed down tight and see if the problem comes up again

I have fitted a new plug but have not run it yet so hopefully that will cure it apart from this well pleased with my first proper engine ! Thanks for the advice

Yup checked all those type of things

Clutch not dragging?? It can sometimes have a similar feel to tuning issues.

vbgagnon said:
try taking off your carb and back plate and sealing them with some silicone sealant, and that should do the trick.

The RB engines are notorious for air leaks. A lot of guys use a product called "airseal" to seal the engine before firing it. You need to be very carefull and apply it sparingly with the end of a wooden match stick. You need it on the surface where the carb body meets the case and where the backplace meets the case. Try not to get it on the o-rings.

An airleak on the backplate will cause the problems you describe (seal is breaking from time to time).

Also High Temp Silicone will also work.

bigfreak said:
The RB engines are notorious for air leaks.

Who said that????

I've never heard that and theres at least 40 people in my club running RBs and I've not heard a single person complain about airleaks and RBs.

I think "notorious" is a little strong. I have talked to 2-3 guys at the track that say they seal all their RB engines because of troubles in the past. Maybe it's just a thing from the past. I know some of the HSN assemblies from way back used to have a problem where you had to change an o-ring (not the case anymore). People have one small problem because of a silly factory mix up and they freak out. Maybe someone gave me slanted info. sorry.

Last edited:
Ok sorry to jump on you!!!

I do know that it is recommended to seal up all engines from new, regardless of manufacturer.

Back