Last MBX-5 is mine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plaidfish

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Went to LHS today to order Frt tower and steering knuckle for MBX 9.5 pro and I put some cash down for the last MBX-5 in the shop...they said Mugen is only pushing the pro-spec.....I'll be doing some work in trade for some of the buggy but basically I'll be paying 400 and building some ID10T's E-maxx he had all these aluminum parts polished on.....the buggy is already assembled...brand new never had engine even close to it......Does this sound like good deal???

Hell yes it is! Congrats!

So you're paying $400 cash and doing a little work building something? Yeah that's a good deal man. :cheers:

I thought it sounded good....I think the build is really like an interview to see if they want me to do more wrenching for them....they only have 1 part time mechanic right now......so if I'm lucky this could turn into my supply for the hobby (I don't know if that's good or bad yet LOL).....crossing my fingers.....

hope everything works out for u man, mugens sure are great buggies, have fun with it!!!!

I was back and forth between the XB8 & the MBX-5 when I get my return check and the offer today just sounded too sweet to pass....I'm stoked...I won't be able to wrench until friday night cause I have to go out of town for the ASHRAE trade show.....Now all I'll be able to think about is getting back home and getting the buggy....

Which did you end up with, the mbx5??

My return check bought me a new buggy too. Check was in my account on the 28th (love efile).

I was trying to choose between those 2 but when I got the offer from the LHS it was for the last MBX-5 already built but never run...never had engine mounted.....I'll be waiting to get a V-spec for it now....

I donno if you're just bashin or what, but there are some setup sheets over at http://www.mugenracing.com/ This would be if you're racing. I personally started with Ashton's NAT setup and went from there. Another great resource is twf8. They have a great how-to-build that has all the tips the Pro's use including tips such as leaving out the s3 orings from the diffs. Here's the link:

http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/car/mugen/mbx5/mbx5build/mbx5-index.html

If you're not going to race it, the finer details such as this don't come into play.

Have fun with your new buggy! :cheers:

Last edited:
cool thanks for the tips
I don't currently race but I'm getting this buggy to get into it.....so those sites are a great help....I'm sure I'l be tinkering w/ all the adjustments and I already have a set of Kyosho shocks for it.....I like them and I'll keep the Mugen ones set up different than what i normally run so Ican experiment.......Now I just have to wait for my return to be deposited.....screw it I'm buyin it today......maybe not the engine but the buggy comes home tonite........I'll just put the credit for wrenching towards the engine......Now anyone want to buy an OFNA 9.5 pro w/ all the graphite and some C-n-C upgrades?

ebay it man. Make it stock again, sell it like that and sell the hopups sperately. You'll make the most of your money back that way. Be sure to clean it good too. Dirty stuff doesn't sell well. LOL

Also, so you know the grey mugen shocks is what everone runs - right down to the pros.

everyone near me preffer the Kyoshos.....I've seen the Mugen bladders blow more often than the Kyosho ones.......I wish I had all the stock parts still but I got this one already built up like this from a friend works at my LHS, he got it from an OFNA rep......
it's a pretty mean track machine but it's not really good for jumping....every time I push the limit I break some stupid knuckle or front tower. so I just got the CnC one instead of graphite.....the knuckles are stock......I think your right I'll sell it on flea bay when the mugen is finished......I'm takin off from work now to go git it......nothing like having priorities right?

Thats awsome. I got the last k3 from tower. Sent it back and got a prospec.

I was told to change the towers on mine to the prospec ones...I'm gonna wait til I trash mine first....what other major differences are there between the prospec and the standard?

MBX-5 is a sweet ride..

Stock towers will bend pretty easily.. First upgrade I'd make is the front tower to an aftermarket tower..

Prospec has alot of bling options, but the 1-piece Engine Mount is a pretty critical piece that helps with chassis flex...as do the aluminum chassis braces..

That being said, this car runs great stock, and is durable as hell.. Enjoy!

-Jon

I was just reading the XB8 thread and was getting jealous of everybody getting to build their buggy....mine was already done.......I think I'm doing a full tear down this week just for fun.....and I'm holding off getting a new mill cause I'm torn now between the WS7II & the V-spec.....I ran against an RZ-b w/ my RG & it was really pathetic....I was dogging this guy in the turns and kept up w/ him on the straight.......similar w/ a guy w/ a WS7II until half way down the straight it looked like he hit second gear and took off....that mill was a top end Whore....I think I'm going to be sacriligeous to the mugen and run my RG w/ 063 pipe in it for a while......anyway, I'm not racing......yet!

Plaid fish nice buying, but i would upgrade the standard shock toweres straight away, when they bend, they bend big, and normally break your shocks at the same time, just a bit of advice to take or leave

Mike

thanks for the tip mike....I was leaning toward that as a pre run buy anyway....I'm getting the front one friday and I'll probably get the rear next week when tax return comes.....WOO-HOO....I might splurge a lil more and get the V-spec then but I'm trying to exhibit some self control here......although I just finished a mutant maxx project I've been slowly building for a few months now and might be able to hold off on the v-spec for a while now.....

Plaidfish said:
...WOO-HOO....I might splurge a lil more and get the V-spec then but I'm trying to exhibit some self control here......although I just finished a mutant maxx project I've been slowly building for a few months now and might be able to hold off on the v-spec for a while now.....
HAHAHA sounds like me, i get flustered trying to decide what to buy next :) self control only last while there is no more money to spend, or i already have the best :)

LOL.....yeah I recently discovered the joy of being debt free and I'm actually saving money now...so I'm going to try and harbor the Mr. Scrooge mentality w/ my dough.....I have so many toys I really don't NEED any more......So I've taken to being the master barterer........HAHAHHAHA.....I didn't even try to make that pun......but I am trying to be good so I can go back to wing chun as soon as my knees are better.....I found a great school here and it is VERY expensive.....350/month.....but that is very small classes and open access to the facility.....more like a club than school........I showed the sifu my truck and all he said was "you got fat"......very strict dude.......well anyway I want to just have an MT and a buggy that just kick ass and now I think my quiver is complete w/ some extras I can sell off.....

Back