Lubing my PBS

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayhem

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I don't know if I should put diff lube in it or not, I have not had to with any other RTR, Is this a good idea. If so could you point me in the direction and is it hard?

It is not hard, yes I would do it. Sponsored racers by ofna are running 3kfront 3kmiddle 5or 7krear. All you need is some automotive cleaner to clean the grease out.

Do I need to remove all the grease? Wow I have a feeling I'm going to loose some screws knowing me. So I take it there's different types of lube?

Yeah you have to take all the grease out. Different companies make different lubes, ofna, mugen, kyosho, assioated, and the list goes on. I've only had experience with ofna lubes and they work great. They are also the cheapest for the quantity.

Diff oils go from 1000 wt on up, the highest I've seen was something like 200,000. IMO at that weight just lock it up, but what do I know.

Use 5000wt in the front diff 7000wt center diff an 1 or 2000 rear
If you put 7000 in the rear your ass end whould be trying to pass the front end LOL

The classic set up which is what i use in my PBS is 7000 MID 1000 REAR and 5000 FRONT

Also dont take ALL th egrease out, just take out most of it coz it keeps the gears from weargin down more. :2cents:

lol so many opinions.

vbgagnon said:
Zandor check this out...its from Josh wheeler a former ofna driver.ofna link

Thats not josh wheeler Its a kid talken about what he had read..

no were did i read makes mention of running 7000wt they were talken about running 3 , 3 ,5 but that is running a Torsen diff in the rear and spiders front and center.. the torsen diff IMO spins a hella lot smother then a spider.
useing a torsen diff will indeed let you run a higher wt oil.

I tryed to run 5000wt in my PCR and it sucked bad now like I said this is IMO

Well I have no idea what I'm doing in the first place so this is gonna suck and I don't even know what oils to use now JEEZ!

You will be safe to start out with 5,7.1 front to rear you can go up or down from there. after some time you will be able to take out relube and reinstall your diffs in an hour or so get your self a good set of hex drivers w/ball ends makes it easyer

I have some HEX Drivers, just have to find them. Zandor and everyone else thanks for your time. Of the top of your head what do I have to dissassamble to get to all 3 diffs?

Mayhem, usually the standard starting place for diff oil is as ZANDOR says, 5,000 K in the fron, 7,000 in the center, and 1,00 in the rear. This is a good place to start and you can try it and see how you like it.

Thats what I fun in my Inferno and it works great for me.

Thanks AC know i know what lube to get i have to figure out how to get it there.

To get your front and rear out disconnect the chassie braces from the diff housing and then flip the buggy over and remove the 4 screws holding the houseing on and pull the hole assembly out from there disconect the shock tower from the housing and pull it apart your diff will be in your hands at this point. I do belive that there is 6 screws holding the ring gear to the cup.
pull all the gears out and clean all the grease out and reinstall all the gears and fill with diff lube. when you fill the diff just fill to the point were the spider gears are covered.. make a not as to witch way the diff came out of the housing..