New Hyper 7 PCR owner with questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CANLOGIC

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
After weeding through this forum for a few weeks I have decided on the Hyper 7 PCR pro kit. I ordered it with the OS vspec motor and the JP-2 pipe. Questions are what weight oils do use in the diffs? I assume neither the kit nor the motor come with a clutch, what should I get. I already have a decent JR fm radio so will just get a reciever for it and will use the airtronics 9435pZ servo. Does the kit come with wheels and tires if not what do I get? Any other parts I should get? Any other tips would be welcome as well.

Thanks for all the great info!

I use (r/mid/f) 1000,7000,5000 for diff oils

I'm not sure what's a good set of diff oils for the PCR Pro, but a common place to start is (5K/7K/1k) (front/center/rear). Maybe you can find a setup sheet from one of the OFNA drivers or something.

The kit will come with a flywheel and clutch this is the standard. If you want to upgrade, you could check out the Mugen clutch it comes with aluminum shoes and a lot of guys run that setup in non-Mugen buggys. You just have to careful about the flywheel diameter.

You do have two servos right? A good set of servos is the Airtronics 94358 for steering and the 94357 for throttle/brake. I donno what the spec are on the 9435pZ. It may be good for one of those applications.

Other parts you'll need are fuel filter, air filter oil (I think the kit would come with at least one inner foam). Some people might say you need a temp gun, but I find mine kind of useless these days. Oh yeah, did you buy a starter box, battery and a charger? Another thing you can get is a hump pack rechargable battery pack for your receiver. It's not 100% needed as you will probably be able to fit AA's in the battery box, but it's something to think about.

I'm not sure on the tires, but I think there is a good chance the kit comes with them.

I don't have a PRC Pro so maybe some other folks in the forum can help you with the specifics on what other upgrades and mods you might need.

Thanks for the info on the diffs etc. I have a starter box etc as I have an rc10 also a Tmax and a Revo. Never owned a buggy before so it's all new to me.

Sounds like you're ahead of the game. On a buggy, the flywheel sits 90 degrees different from the stadium trucks. As long as your starter box can be changed over, you're good to go.

I will have to check the starter box, I think it is an offna so hopefully it will work. Thanks.

Canlogic, I've been looking at the ofna forums and they are saying to run 3k,3k,5or7k wight diff oils. That is what the Wheeler brothers were running. Yanik Aragon (sp) was running those weights at the worlds and tqd.

Thanks for the info. I have ordered a bunch of diff oil 1000 to 10000 so I should be set to try the recomendations.

put the biggest restrictor in that motor and dial back ur throttle on ur radio. it'll be way too much for to start out with. make laps and get faster b4 u think of unleashin that motor.

-ult

A big thread on the OFNA forum has developed on diff oils. I beleive the thread is under the "Hyper 7" section. As vbgagnon said it mentions 3,3,5. I ran a more traditional 5,7,1 in my PCR RTR but was unhappy with the amount of understeer. I am rebuilding and trying the 3,3,5.

I Just Picked up a new Hyper 7 PCR RTR with a Hyper .21 turbo yesterday and bought the traditional 5,7,1 For it. I will try it but keep the 3,3,5 setup in mind. The kit included everything except batteries and glow plug. This is my first buggy so I hope I made a wise choice.

I think I will start off with the traditional diff ratios and go from there. I think I will build it with the PBS instead of the c-hubs as that is what I am used to. Once the snow leaves and I can get the motor dialed in I will start playing with the different setups.

Hey Slip, welcome to the club. I just bought my PCR RTR about an hour ago.

Dumb question, but being RTR, it is loaded with diff oil, right?!? What weights from the factory?

Hey revo rancher I'm not sure about the diff oils but am woundering were you purchased your PCR RTR? I myself am also in the market for a hyper and am simply searching for the best price? have fun with that beast
:cheers: Thanks in advance.

OFNAbb:

I picked it up today at NitroHouse.com. They are located in Irvine, California and allow showroom sales. Irvine is the next town to mine so I ran down there today.

Their everyday price is 474.00, and 511.00 out the door with Orange County taxes. No too bad. They give you your choice of Hyper bodies as well, but I stuck with the PCR colored body. Everyone I talk to tells me this motor, if broken in correctly, screams. The suspension is upgraded from the regular Hyper 7 too.

Thanks revo rancher. I can't WAIT TILL I GET MINE! I ordering the pbs version.
Whats the difference between the two i just dont see it?

OFNAbb:

As far as I can tell the PBS stands for 'pillow ball suspension'. I thought that that was the only way the RTR came?!?

In the Pro kit you can get C-Hubs.

Hope it gets to ya early!!!!

Alright thanks alot. Ya i hope i get it early 2. Although theres snow on the ground right now so i wount be able to use it anyways :hammer:

Revo Rancher said:
Dumb question, but being RTR, it is loaded with diff oil, right?!? What weights from the factory?

NO the diffs on the rtr's come with grease in them, you will need disassemble them, wipe them out and fill them with your desired oil weight.

I guess it wasn't a dumb question, because I knew my Revo came with grease, but I did not expect a quality buggy to come only with grease. Now I know.

I'm going to run back to OFNA today and get a failsafe and diff lube. Looks like 1000, 3000, 5000 is what I need.

Back