New 2.4ghz for Airtronics M8 ( DSM )

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfreak

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I thought this was pretty crazy:

SPM1002-450.jpg

What is DSM?
DSM is Digital Spectrum Modulation—a purely digital RF link between transmitter and model that is based on Direct Sequencing Spread Spectrum technology. It operates within the ultra-high 2.4GHz worldwide ISM band, provides unequalled signal resolution, and is immune to the most common forms of RF interference. It will even allow your model to “talk” back to you. It requires no crystals and completely frees you from ever having to monitor frequency usage again. Best of all, with Spektrum’s DSM System you can literally plug this phenomenal technology into existing transmitters like the Airtronics M-8

I got the pic and the text from www.nitrohouse.com I donno how old the news is but it wasn't on their site a week ago. It's cool stuff though.

That is a nice little setup, thanks for the link. May have to look in that direction for the next radio. I saw the m8 somewere with that already installed, the price was around $350 or so.

It's kinda old news but pretty exciting in the racing world. Somebody posted it quuite a while back. I considered getting for a while for my 3pk. There is a good interview concerning it in the newest issue of RC Driver magazine,definately worth a read.

Someone told me that 2.4 ghz cordless phones mess with it, but it sounds awesome, and I'd like to try it out anyway.

Well it depends on how good the software, or the modulation is. My microwave is old as dirt and interferes with my internet access.. of course I don't have a hard line to my isp, its a 2.4 gig link.. also my antenna is in the same room as the micro wave..

2.4 gig is the microwave band.. however low the wattage, you're still getting nuked by that transmiter, your phones and your wireless cards lol but it's like 1 millionth of a watt, versus 500-1000 full watts for a micrawave

The thing with 2.4 gig technology though is that it does not travel well out of sight, like behind a berm, behind a wall, or people (water absorbs microwaves) You might have issues if you bash in a spot where you go behind walls, or a behind a crowd of people. etc. I know my wireless also acts up when it rains or snows.. course technology could be a 100% better than it is for isp/networking stuff... a lot more data to get right with a PC too.

We are talking about RF energy modulated! It will go through normal walls and give you amazing range due to the fact it is less susceptible to low frequency noise and atmosphere. Also, a plus with this system is that both modules are tranceivers which means that it when the transmitter talks the receiver will then answer. This type of technology is being used in lots of today's electronics. It's only right that we have it in RC.

2.4Ghz is a very high frequency. You can pass a lot of data through it at long distances.

Unfortunately, as someone mentioned, water interferes with the dignal. It refracts the signal all over the place - this is why those WiFi things you can build with a pringals can only work with line of sight; trees have lots of water and the signal won't pass through the leaves. But 2.4Ghz will shoot through almost anything else without trouble.

Also, 2.4 Ghz is a "free" zone - you can do whatever you want with it for the most part. That's why cordless phones, 802.11, and just about anything else wireless uses it these days. This can cause lots of interference on the band but most devices using 2.4 have limited range.

For an R/C vehicle, these problems can be mitigated by the fact that you don't have to receive data at a very high rate to turn the wheels and change the throttle. You could probably miss 80% of the packets and still control the vehicle just fine. And, we're not using a directional antenna, we're using an omni directional antenna, so your chances of getting enough packets is pretty good.

I think it would be pretty good for R/C!

When I needed a new cordless phone, I had to stay with the 900 Mhz, since my alarm system is on 2.4 Ghz. They would interfere with each other.