Tips for MBX5 Radio Box

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfreak

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Add a Little Room for RX

The receiver part of the mbx5 radio box is huge. The problem, however, is that I don't know one person who has his receiver in the receiver side of the box. Typically, your normal hump pack is just too dang big to fit in the battery side of the radio box. What we end of doing is putting the RX where the battery is supposed to do and vice versa. A typical receiver fits in the battery side of the box, but there is this 1/4" plastic rib that sticks up between the two sections. It's just a pain the in the butt. If the rib was gone, the receiver would have more room, SO DREMEL IT OUT!!

6075mbx5-radiobox-mod.jpg

Protect your Antenna from being Sliced by the body

The spring-loaded antenna-holder in the mbx5 gives it a lot of bouncy action. This in turn causes the body to work its way through the antenna tube. I take a piece of fuel tubing and work it over the spring and leave a good bit to cover the antenna tube itself.

6075mbx5-antenna-protect.jpg

The idea is that the body rubs on the fuel tubing instead of the antenna tube. Put your body on and make sure it works. I did just that after taking this pic and it doesn't quite go tall enough (oops).

Protect the Extra Antenna Wire That Pokes out the Top

6075mbx5-antenna-end-protect.jpg

On most all radio antenna's there is a bit of antenna wire that sticks out past the antenna tube. I used to fold this piece down and secure with a plastic cap and a piece of shrink tubing. I find that, however, tends to cut a hole in the antenna wire. I like to put another piece of fuel tubing over the extra bit of antenna wire to protect it. I also use a couple pieces of fuel tubing sliced real thin. These act as clamps that keep the fuel tubing from sliding off.

Make Sure your Steering Servo Wire is Routed Correctly

If you look next to the front brake disk, you'll see a plastic hook. You need to tuck your steering servo wire under that hook to keep the brake disc from slicing it into pieces. Each time you have to take the radio off, you have to make sure it's tucked away.

Last edited:
Good tips! Might want to PM Mayhem and see if he wants to add these to our tips page...

Thanks Bigfreak..... This is the kinda stuff where looking for guys... Tips, Tricks, reviews.... Big or small... If your not comfortable with your writing skills, we'll be happy to edit it up for ya... Of course, pics help out alot....
Let's keep this goin...

I've been meaning to write stuff like this since I joined. I took these pics last night kind of on a whim. This was quick and easy to write up. On my camera I have some pics from I took on the weekend, but that topic is going to require a lot of typing. LOL I'm hoping to have it up this week.

Feel free to edit this and do with it as you please. I'll be making several of these kinds of threads and that goes for all of them.

Last edited:
Ooo thats what that hook is for. I wraped my wire around the other side of the servo tray. Worked real well too.

Back