lookin for a good basher buggy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OFNA buggy basher

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey all I'm was just searchin the web and I'm lookin for a really good basher buggy with good high speeds? I'm farely new to 1/8 scale buggys (and this forum) i currently own a Cen Mt2 but am looking for more speed and durability. I've found the Ofna Ultra Lx Comp and am woundering everyones thoughts on it?

id look at GS storm... they got a new one commin out and its looks very durable

yup, GS Storm, Sportwerks Mayhem, and Ofna Hyper 7 RTR, are what id consider great bashing buggies with great durability, and raceworthy if you should ever get the itch.

How much does all three of those buggys top out at cuz I've seen a stock ofna ultra comp hit 56mph! The hyper7 is supposably not as durable as the ultra comp. I'm looking for a quick high end basher that reaches top speed rather quickly. Is there a way to make the ultra comp steer like the hyper? cuz the ball stearing is muchbetter than the knucles. :shrug:

reaches top speed quickly, but ur lookin at top mph. complete opposites.

-Ult

oh ya sorry about that I'm eant to say has a high top speed. So anyways wat do you think about the steering convertion from hyper to ultra comp? is it doable?

OFNA buggy basher said:
How much does all three of those buggys top out at cuz I've seen a stock ofna ultra comp hit 56mph! The hyper7 is supposably not as durable as the ultra comp. I'm looking for a quick high end basher that reaches top speed rather quickly. Is there a way to make the ultra comp steer like the hyper? cuz the ball stearing is muchbetter than the knucles. :shrug:

What mill was run on this buggy, I don't see that top end speed happening with a stock Ofna buggy (unless maybe they were running a 2 speed tranny).
I run a Hyper 7 PBS with WS7 2 mill and it would be hard pressed to hit that top end. Were do you plan to run this buggy if it is in the dirt with some bumps and such you would not be able to use all of that top end any way.

Ya i plan on running it on a bumpy dirt surface and just all around bashing. I thikn I'm gonna order it. Its such a low price and my lhs carrys all the parts. unless you can tell me a better buggy for the 300 dollar range i think ofnas gonna have my buisness. :cheers:

For $300.00 you can't go wrong and you can always hop up and do a mill swap later if need be. I would do the hyper 7 pbs or pcr personally, but that would boost your bugget up a fair bit.

the money u spend later 2 keep that ultra comp goin will put u in hyper territory. bite the bullet now and end up w/a better piece

-Ult

Whats the difference between the pcr and pbs plus what do the hypers have that the comp doesn't? also i dont think I'm ready to jump from 280 all the way to 500. also can you send me some links on the lowest price you have seen on the hyper. i just dont see the advantage of the extra $220? thanks alot you guys have been a real help.

The hypers hold up a lot better, the pbs and pcr are very close to the same buggy. The Pcr is a Pbs with the Paul Coleman upgrades, lay down servos and the front and rear diffs may be diffrent but other than that they hold up the same. I have not priced them lately but I can do some checking. You may want to check the for sale forum there was some used ones for sale awhile ago.

id rather have a new buggy. I dont really get used things ecpecially nitro. so your saying you would get the hyper because its more durrable and has the pivoit ball sterring or what i still dont see the big adavantage :smoke: . i hope i can get a brand new one around 430 then that would seal the deal. I no that wouldent happen in a million uears but still. Do the both come with a starter box or electric start. Dont forget about those links. Thanks again for all your time.

well I found this pbs at a good price, and yes you would need a starter box, the hyper is a tight mill.

hyper pbs

which hyper are you talking about the pbs? plus it looks like a starter box comes with it and i heard to take the plug out and crank it over to loosen it up. will that work? if your talking about the pbs its only 409?!? thats a great price. i hope that i can talk my parents into it. plus isnt the engine smaller i dont get that at all the hyper has a 21 but the ultra comp has a 26?

who said used, i didnt.

21 is the rulebook size for racing. but those 21s make as much but most cases more than those 25/26/27 sport motors.

-Ult

Yes the Pbs is the one I was thinking of. The .21 hyper is much quicker than the .26, I have some buddies that ran the 26 and have both converted to the hyper. The starter box that comes with the pbs is an entry level box, I had trouble with mine and picked up a better box. A lot of people have had no problem with them, the word is that Ofna beefed them up some since I got mine. Yes you would want to losen the plug and put some after run oil in it, also use a hair drier to heat up the block. They are a very tight mill but boy do they fly.

UltegraSTI said:
who said used, i didnt.

-Ult

I did :)

go to ultimatehobbie.com they have the pcr listed for 479, if you call them you can get it for 440. This thing is a tank, I raced all of last summer and the only thing that I broke was a front lower arm. This was my first 1/8 scale, and I'm glad that I went this route. Its fast, and durable what more can you ask for?

oh ok, thought he was talkin bout me b/c i had a hyper for sale, well now sold.

if i wasn't mired down in GS parts, i'd prolly stuff the truck motor in it and just run it. the SUT is really gettin on my last nerve, wish i bought the PRO. the chassis was the latest thing to go b/c of the stock cast kingpin holders b'g lil loose from the factory and always loosening up during a run. the holes in the rear are oblonged so it wont keep a toe setting. now i have 2 buy an 75dollar chassis 2 make the truck go again. or build up a storm pro w/all my parts includin the storm pro chassis which sadly wont work for the truck b/c of motor mount slots for taller gears not b'g there.

ARGH!!!!

go w/a hyper. if u get a RTR, try and score an OS 20e carb for it. much easier 2 work with. if u buy a hyper kit, dump a OS RG in it for a starter motor, great motor to learn on.

-ult

UltegraSTI said:
go w/a hyper. if u get a RTR, try and score an OS 20e carb for it. much easier 2 work with. if u buy a hyper kit, dump a OS RG in it for a starter motor, great motor to learn on.

And when the RG dies, you can sell the OS 20e carb on it on ebay for about $30 to the guys that have the hyper .21 engines.
icon10.gif

EDIT: if you want speed, get one of the buggies that come with the Hyper .21 engine. From what I've seen. that's the fastest RTR engine out there. It's not perfect though. It will be frustrating to adjust the carb. When (if) you get it tuned, it'll have a mid range bog in the power band. The 20e carb UltegraSTI mentioned will fix all this, but it adds $30-$70 to the cost of the RTR depending how you go about buying it.

Last edited: