Servos for buggies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Some of you guys know I have a TTR S3 ordered. This is my first buggy so everything about them is very new to me. I do intend on getting into the racing scene a little. What I need is some opinions on what type of servos to run. I just don't know what is necessary for these things. I have already decided to take the Futaba HRS receiver out of my Maxx and put it in the S3. I was also thinking about swapping the Futaba Digi's as well, but I'm not sure if high torque is necessary for buggy applications. I have a S9350 and a S9451. What do you guys think?

skip through the other threads there are already many posts on this topic

Lesson,

I Run an Airtronics 94359 Steering, In which cost me alot of money to buy. It's one of the best I think for servo's on 1/10 or 1/8. Throttle I have the Hitec 645MG. The Steering is sooo Responsive and I can't move the servo arm by hand when its on ( I Mean I can but i will break it ) Because of the Torque. It was 124.99 at my LHS. I dont recommend the Hitec, Because it lacks power. If they had the New JR out back then I would have gotten that, I believe it is called the 650? I recommend that for either steering or throttle if you dont have the money for the Airtronics I mentioned above. Well I hope this post was helpful. You will love the 1/8 Buggy scene, Very durable, Quick/Fast, And has a nice sleek Look. Have fun man!

-Skyline

mike is right, but I'll regurgitate some info for lesson.

The servos you have should work fine. You may, however, find that some day you want to buy a dedicated set of servos for your buggy. When I'm at the track, everyone runs an Airtronics 358 for steering and a 357 for brake/throttle. The reason is reliablility. The airtronics servos are built very well and the worst damage they suffer is a $3 plastic gear that is designed to fail when the poop hits the fan.

Here are the specs and some links to tower so you can see the exact model numbers and crap:

Airtronics "358" (steering)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTT13&P=7
Torque: 200oz (@ 6v)
Speed: 0.10 sec (@ 6v)

Airtronics "357" (brake/throttle)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTT12&P=M
Torque: 125oz (@ 6v)
Speed: 0.07 sec (@ 6v)

Your servos are something like this:
S9350 111oz & .12 Sec (@ 6v)
S9451 97 oz & .10 Sec (@ 6v)

They will probably work just fine. If you ever want to get into racing, the extra speed and power is needed.

Oh and this is a real good tip. I know a lot of guys that adjust their steering end points while the buggy is on the starter box (or jacked up in the air on wheels or something). If you do this, you will be cheating yourself out of a lot of steering. Always put the buggy on the ground and adjust your steering end points at ride height I get about 10% more steering when I do that and yes that's a big deal when you're racing.

Welcome to 1/8th scale buggies Lesson! :cheers:

BF, That Throttle will be a tad to twitchy, I Think a .11 would be better.

Airtronics 94358 for sterring and 94357 for throttle are the only ones I'll own. Way worth the money.

Brandon

Thanks for all the info guys, especially those links Bigfreak. I'll use what I got until I need something more competative.

Last edited:
your current servos will work fine. the recommened airtronics will NOT! heads up on futaba stuff for guys who dont know. the HRS system requires 6V digital servo's. the airtronics 357, 358, 359, and 360 are NOT digital. one of the benefits of the HRS is built in failsafes on all 3 channels. i love this setup in my buggy, and run hitec 5945mg and 5925mg servos. the faster throttle you can get the better with 80+ torque, and the fastest steering with 125+ torque the better. they must be digital though.

ahh, that's right. i had the intentions of using my digi's for exactly that reason. I didn't know those Airtronics were not digital... I was thinking "damn, my servo's are overpriced" but not too bad considering they are digital. So easy to forget details sometimes, hehe. The S9451 and S9350 are 121 and 139 oz/in. and .10 and .12 sec. respectively. Seems like these will be good to go.

I apologize for starting a new thread on this topic but I wasn't finding the general information I was looking for when I did the search. Like I said, I'm totally knew to buggies so I didn't know what was necessary for these lighter (vs. MT's) vehicles. Everything I was seein in the search was detailed stuff about what specifinc modles of servos people were using. Seems like the stronger and faster the better. It's kind of ironic though... there are so many knowledgable people here that it is a little dificult to find general information w/o uncovering tones of detailed stuff. Thanks for everybody's input.

CorradoPsi said:
the HRS system requires 6V digital servo's.

doh!! I didn't know this. My bad lesson. I know the airtronics servos aren't digital. I've own two digital servos. I had a hitec 5945mg in my buggy. It started sticking at full lock (wabbled out holes in the case). After I bought a new case, I found out the brains were fried too. Buying a new case was dumb 'cause I found out soon after you can send them to hitec and they send new ones back. They did this for me and I promptly sold it new on ebay. I said I've owned two. My son has a 5925mg. WHEN it goes, I'll have an airtronics ready to replace it.

I've lost all faith in hitec, but if you MUST use digital servos, they are the way to go (price vs performace).

I just bought a Air 94358 servo for my buggy this next year. Going with the Mayhem PRO! Should be a upgrade for a HB PRO I ran last year.

Back