Jammin X1cr

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyosho138

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
:shrug: hey lets get some talk and pictures about this buggy... :smoke: :cheers:

I been looking at the review on TWF8 here
I like the way the knuckle arms are fitted with a bolt from the inside with a nut on the outside. This should cure the problem of king pin bolts coming loose once & for all!
picsstep8-005.jpg

picsstep8-006.jpg

Tim.

Does not seem to be alot on this buggy yet. Had only 1 show up at a local indoor track with 55+ entries.

we have a few of them over here, i would rate them form low to poor, from what I've seen they are not that strong, the guys over here have broken arms blown difs and all sorts in them already :(

Hong Nor, not Ho Bao. Nuff said...............................................

what are you implying there?... i got confused from the talk about that other buggy...

Hong Nor is one branch of ofna (imo the bad/dark side of ofna) and Ho Bao is the better, more race oriented buggy. The ofna MBX/Violator lines are hong nor. they are ok bashers at best, where as the hyper line has a better parts support, and is a much more race oriented buggy. It can take the beating from a bad assed basher too.

Bottom line, If your going ofna go Ho Bao!

oh.. yeah i know all that.. i wanted to see more from all this.. hongnor might have had a brake threw ya kno? just wanted to see more from it..

the Jammin

I have this car and the parts fit/quality and finish is second to none on the market. Every piece of metal is hard coated. The car has some minor problems (which is normal for a new car) but each time I called Ofna they corrected the problem. I had the tank blow out and they sent two for free. I also had a hinge pin that didn't have the groove for the e-clip. Ofna sent a new one free. This car handles awsome. I will put it to you this way. My MBX5 is now the back up. I dropped 2-3 seconds off lap times with the Jammin. I have had no other problems with the car and it is solid.

I will also add this buggy is Hong Nor/Ofna, but it was totally designed in the U.S.A. by Jay Halsey, Adam Drake and some other team drivers.

Last edited:
While I can totally agree the design is well the manufacture still leaves question of quality in my head. I know who designed this buggy. The problem I have is with Hong Nor's history. They make a different kind of buggy and it is not race bread (historically). Now while Hong Nor might have fixed all their QA problems and this might be the next best inexpensive racer, but in my mind it will take time to prove. To think Hong Nor changed years of the same with just one model is hard for me to swallow. I have NO first hand experience with this buggy so it is entirely speculation. Although I have been reading up on it and users experiences and it seems to have about as many failures as the Swift did. Now this isn't Hong Nor's first buggy so to have the amount of issues that a start up company had makes me wonder why? Godd luck with the model and I wish you the best.

For me it will be the TTS3 or a XB-8

Hmm

This is the first thread where I've heard this much negativity about this buggy.

Although I have been reading up on it and users experiences and it seems to have about as many failures as the Swift did

I would appreciate it if you could point me to where I could read these people's experiences. Apart from a couple of minor things, I've neard nothing but good about this buggy.

Every time I've heard it mentioned in race results they have been doing very well. Here in Aus, in Indonesia, and in the US.

Comparison with the Swift is actualy hilarious as the RTR Swift retails for HALF the price of the X1CR kit and is basically a total piece of crap.

It's inconceivable that an MBX5 owner would retire that buggy in favour of the X1CR, and be regularly 1-2 seconds a lap faster with it, if it was even remotely like the Swift.

Also - for a decent view of it's quality and design there is a TWF build here:

TWF8 Build

It's not complete yet but from the steps posted so far the quality seems as good as anything, and there are some nice new features that seem to be a step ahead of kyosho/mugen/xray. I.E. the kingpin design, the z-brace, etc.

The only weak point seems to be the use of e-clips, which is a bit weird, but there is a clip-less option that costs $30.

I also don't think the diff housings look all that strong but seeing as nobody who has seen the buggy has complained about the drivetrain I assume that's just the photos.

Last edited:
I said I have had no experience with the buggy but with Hong Nors long time reputation and it speaks for itself. I know the buggy was designed well and I think I admitted that. You obviously sound like you have some interest in this buggy if you are defending it when I obviously just stated my opinion of Hong Nor's quality. So to sum this up I think it looks like a great buggy! Hong Nor in the past has been sub par quality in a lot of peoples minds. I hope this buggy changes that. Don't take it SO personally and I will find you the feedback of which I speak if you really need it. From just one persons opinion I sure get a lot of peoples feathers ruffled.

Last edited:
Not really taking it personally, but I've been looking at a new buggy and between the xb8, ttrs3, and x1cr, I think it's about even.

xb8 has the advantage of coming with all the various toe blocks, shock pistons, tools, etc. Also top-notch quality.

I haven't heard of any real race experiences with the S3 yet but the front shock mounting looks intriquing.

And the X1 just seems to be winning a lot. Throughout Asia there have been a lot of TQs and 1st places, even 1-2-3 finishes.

I realise you were only talking about the Hong-Nor aspect of it. Maybe I should have quoted Mikeburgin's post instead...

I guess in a year we will all know for sure...

tomoko69 said:
I guess in a year we will all know for sure...

Sad thing is...at the going rate..... all three of the aforementioned buggies will probably be discontinued!

tomoko69 said:
And the X1 just seems to be winning a lot. Throughout Asia there have been a lot of TQs and 1st places, even 1-2-3 finishes.

Who is driving it? I can't find any of the big name guys with that buggy.
Where in asia are these races? Show us some back up of this stuff!

Lance Norrick a team driver posted on the s-grid that Jammin finished 1,2,3 at a race and a total of five finished in the top fifteen out of 60. I tried to look for the post it had the name of the race but couldn't find it. Also Humbolt you had mentioned the S3 and on the S-grid they have some issues with the car also. Don't get me wrong the car looks awsome, but all new cars have some teething issues. Like I said when I had a problem it only took one call to Ofna and they fixed it FREE, how many companies do that. All I know is this car is top notch and thats my opinion. Not to mention parts are CHEAP. $10 for a-arms front and rear, shock rebuild kit $6, just a couple examples. Other then the very small issues I have had with the car (all corrected) the car has performed. Also I know of Hong nors past but I believe this car is more Jammin, designed, tested, and conformes to there standards not Hong Nor. I also remember reading about Jay Halsey flying to the Plant where they are made to check the QC. Don't forget allot of plastic for cars is made in the same place Ofna cars are.

Last edited:
I was searching the net for 'x1cr' and found some asian results on various pages. Here's some from this page:

http://www.hobbylink.com.sg/intro_mainpage.htm

SINGAPORE TURF CITY INAUGURAL RACE

6th Nov 2004

Results

A Main

1st Ah M Team / HMW / X1CR
2nd Danny Teh / Team Toykar / MBX 5
3rd Lee Chih Fei / Team Hobbylink / Xray XB8
4th Sam Cheng / Team Hobbylink / Xray XB8
5th Rudy Lim / Team Chim Seng / Hyper 7
6th Kenny Chua / Team Toykar / MP 777
7th Ryu Goh / Team KK / MP 777
8th Glenn Phuah / Team Hobbylink / Xray XB8
9th Bernard Lee / Team Chim Seng / Hyper 7
10th Chris Sze / Team Toykar / MP 777

and also

1/8 Malacca Cup Open buggy Championship in Malaysia

(4th Oct 2004)

Drivers: 78
Weather : SUNNY
Track condition: Dry and Dusty

A main

1) Andri Hartanton Ind Sacker/RB/ Sanwa 45.06.54 laps 70
2) Mizan JB OFNA XCR-1/Futaba 45.17.530 laps 70
3) Sam Cheng Sin XB8/RB/KO/Tire M.Pro 45.41.240 laps 70

And from an Australian site:

http://ultrahobbies.com.au/store/customer/product.php?productid=16710&cat=0&page=

Jammin X1 CR dominated the recent club day at Rockhampton. X1's qualified 1st, 2nd and 3rd , and finished 1st and second in the A Final. Pretty good considering there was only 3 X1's out of 30 entries.

Admittedly that last one is from a page on a site that sells the buggies but they also sell Kyosho and Mugen. I am also fairly sure the results described did actually occur.

Not sure if any of these are 'top' drivers or not...I do know that Drake and Aaron Waldron are racing these cars, but they are team drivers so they are going to say only good things anyway. Besides, those guys would do well in any old pile of crap buggy so it's probably more useful to see drivers who aren't well known doing well with the car...

Anyway, I'm not some sort of ofna zealot but links were asked for and there they are...

Now in 'beating a dead horse mode'...

From here: http://www.radiorally.org.au/goto/view_messages/catid/15

Congrat's to Ian Haley who TQ'd and won at the recent Kelmscot cup with new Hong Nor X1-CR. Ian was able to win every eound bar one where he missed due to damage from another car during round practice

And the same Ian Haley was recently in Indonesia at the track that will be used for the 2006 worlds. Again apparently he TQ'd and pretty much dominated. I can't find the link right now but you get the general idea...

Thunder Tiger has a long reputation of winning races and quality. These are things I personally look at when scoping a buggy. To each his own and I want to re-iterate that this buggy is of good design but poor craftsmanship imo.

Ask Wagnerov how good it actually does to fly to China to the factory for Q/A. They ignored his input and many things on many models still remain as "known" problems.

Things that specifically have come up about the X1CR is the fuel tank and swivel lid failing and plastic cracking. Diffs are failing quite a bit. The brakes are weak and fade fast (Jay already has an update aftermarket part), hinge pins are not captured and the e-clip grooves are to shallow. Even with shoegoo people are loosing them every tank of fuel. The one thing that rocks about this buggy is it's steering ability. This suits certian types of driving styles. Hence the reason some people are dropping times from their X-5. The X-5 are X1CR are imo two different types of handling in buggies. I have not driven the Hong Nor but only read about it so that might just be my speculation. Go to the startig grid to read about the issues. The only guy that seems to favor this buggy over the X-5 is buggyman. Anyways you can post club results all you want, but until I see some official sactioned "big" race wins I will hold my opinion. I also know people are having hard times with non-blue groove type of tracks where the rear end is too bumpy. There are replacing all the shock parts with Kyoshos. Also a ton of motor mounts are breaking do to metal quality.

I am in NO way saying that all new buggies do not have issues but I know Mugen and Kyosho, and TT to have a lot less, or at least that is they way I see it. I think we all tend to like and defend whatever we bought. :cheers:

Last edited:
Tomoko69 quality is not based on how well it wins or how easy the build is, its based on the quality of alloy carbon and plastics, and how precise the engineering is, the grade of materials used, any good driver can get any out of the box car to win, but will the same car still be winning next season, i run or should i say ran sackers and mugens, have ran an xb8 and kyosho kanai 3,2,1, the sacker is just as quick as the mugen and xb8 and had many a win while it was new and i was paying for its up keep, mugen could win with no parts required and just dindnt wear