truggy conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC Tmaxx

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was wondering, whats the cheapest way to make a truggy? I picked up a Hyper 7 pcr rtr at a local pawn shop for $350, never run! I was looking for another monster truck but I could not pass that up. After breaking the engine in and playing with this thing, I feel it’s just to low to the ground. I’m not into racing so I just want a basher, but unless the ground is mostly smooth it just bounced around. But its so fast I just can't get rid of it. I’ve seen this truggy conversion and can’t see what makes it worth $150 bucks; you get just a few parts.

Who has make this conversion without paying so dearly for it?

go race it and see what you think, go out 2 local track and just run some tanks for run. the car is a racer and its most fun when u push it (and thus urself).

as a truggy u will likely see more maintainence and more parts breakages. usually the way things go.

-Ult

I would sat your best bet is to sell it, & buy a REVO... Best of both worlds, Speed & Agility Offroad.... My :2cents:

jt racing products make truggy conversion kits that are the best...there are a few different ones...150 is usually the cost...it includes all necessary hardware except the wheels and tires....well worth the 150....if i was you i would check ebay...there are severa hyper 7 conversion kits i have seen on there....

peace

bigfreak said:
I've seen some pics where guys just put MT tires and MT body on a buggy. All you need it MT tires with 17mm hex hubs (Monster Pirate wheels do it) and you'll need MT body posts and a way to mount them to your buggy.

That being said, however, this is not the right way to go about things. When you put bigger tires on something, you screw the gearing over. You'll be too high geared and probably just burn up the clutch. To compensate for this you need to remove that whimpy 41-42 tooth spur and and put like 55-60 tooth spur gear in there.... No problem... right? Well, how much bugger is a 55-60 tooth gear from a 41-42 tooth gear? A LOT!! Now your gear is so damn big it touches the diff brace and it hangs below the bottom of the chassis!! You can't put it back together! So you have to 1.) put the diff assembly on blocks (raise it) and 2.) make a new diff brace with a keyhole design that allows the spur to pass through it. Now, what about that radio tray? 10:1 odds are that the spur is now going to touch the radio tray. Time to bust out the dremel or fab a new radio tray.

NC Tmaxx said:
I’ve seen this truggy conversion and can’t see what makes it worth $150 bucks; you get just a few parts.

That's what you're paying for. All the extra parts needed to put a bigger spur gear in. Gearing is the biggest problem with truggies after you put those big wheels on.

I say if you really want a truggy, get the JT kit. It's too much work to do on your own.

they do know truggies....I know I'd like to try their Havoc kit....that's bout 300 bucks...so just think your getting off cheap w/ 150

Either way you look at it that is a good deal to find and the truggy kit would be a cool rig to build. I personally like to have the best of both worlds. The Revo is a great kit but you would have to sell the buggy. Depending on your budget, I would keep it and get a Revo too.

I think the Revo is way cool on the track they rock, but I like the beefy A-Arm design of the T-maxx and all those MTs that are similar.....the newer MT's seem to be lightening things that need to be strong...not an easy thing to do when sacrificing weight......I just bash w/ my stuff too much to go the light weight route.....

I don't mean to start and arguement or knock truggies, but is it true that they handle like crap after being converted from buggies? Specifically I heard they don't jump as good. I've never converted one of my buggies, but when I heard that on the track I kind of lost all interest in making a cool looking buggy-truck. Maybe that's just BS though?

I do mine the other way...I make an MT more like a buggy......from what I've seen in articles about truggies is the JT Havoc is the baddest one out there...and it takes a T-Maxx and changes the Chassis and Center drivetrain......I think these kits make a better truggy cause you still have the same front & rear suspension setup as an MT...I would imagine this gives it the MT feel that we all like...otherwise your just making a buggy w/ big tires and lower gears.....

Well, I have decided to sell the buggy to a guy at work. Since I already have a REVO I might look into a different monster truck, like the savage or lst. He will give me my money back for it so I'm not loosing anything. Thanks for all your input.

Back