Off in the water

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannarunem

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well,,its been a while since i last drove my Storm. I fired it up and started driving it. I stopped it at the end of the driveway to make sure no cars where coming before proceeding across the street..i took my finger off the trigger...to tell my buddy something...and low and behold...my storm decided it wants to drive itself!!!! It did several 360's...and ran off the side of the driveway into the ditch with a foot of water in it. It landed upside down!!
I freaked!!!.... I ran to rescue the beast..pulled it out of the water and started pulling it apart. Its in a million pieces drying out as we speak. I hope for the best. Got a fan on it helping it dry out. poop what a wonderful day this has started to be.!!!!!!

take apart your drivelines and engine to make sure no water settles in the bearings. I had that happen to me kinda..when I had my NTC3 went into a puddle and the water creeped in everywhere. The Pillow balls were the worse as they rusted just replaced them.

Good luck man!

Jon

as long as you let your electrics set awhile before plugging them in you should be ok....i know guys who do that stuff o purpose.....take it all apart and soak all the bearings in 3-in-1 oil overnight.....keep the spur from rusting with wd-40....clean er up and she'll be just fine.....just give it a few days for moisture to get outta the servos and reciever....or bust em down and use a hairdryer on them......

I was doing drifting in the driveway after it rained, lost it and it went into the creek. Major teardown. Spray everything with an air hose if you have one.
Then spray everything with denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol and hit it again with air. The alcohol combines with the water and will evaporate quicker. Then spray everything with WD-40 and blow it off again. Dont forget to open the reciever case. Leave everything in front of a fan on 'high' overnight.
You also need to take apart any plugs or connections in the system and clean them.

The WD40 is a good idea as it's original purpose is "Water Displacement".

Anyway, after you get your buggy runnin around, you should check into two things. 1.) fail safe 2.) throttle return spring.

A fail safe is cheap like ~$25 and for a throttle return "spring" I just wrap a fat rubber band around the slide card so that it's held closed when the reciver is powered off.

These two simple add ons with not only keep your buggy dry but also keep you safe from run aways.

Fail safe is a good idea. Make sure you open the reciver and servos a little so the water can evaporate.

..after doing the things mentioned above looks like everything is gonna be fine. Cleaned everyhting..motor..bearings...u name it, i cleaned it. Thats the second run a way i have had. Heat stopped beating both times.

..i have a fail safe and a TRS. Both are set up properly. Even with both doesn't protect from run a way.. it will prevent it.

After spending all day in the garage babysitting my Storm...Hopefully the weather will cooperate tomorrow so i can bash..

Thanks for all the help guys!

I'm glad to hear everything worked out fine, but you need to figure out why you had 2 run aways. Make sure you have GOOD batteries in the reciever. The radio batts have a good life, but the car batts are moving servos, and running down a whole lot quicker.

I'm thinking it was the batts in the RX. Wont happen again!!!!

Back