Question about fuel ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dje

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ihave just broken in my new rb s7motor and am going to use dynaglo 25% fuel which has 8% synthetic and2%castor oil in giving a total of 10% oil is this amount of oil going to be ok , as the fuel i have always used in the past has had 15% oil in ? i have been told that it will run cleaner on this and give slightly more response any thoughts would be appreciateded

This fuel in considered a racing fuel.
If you are confident in your tuning skills it will be just fine. If you are struggling to learn how to tune or would like to be more cautious then you may want to use a 20% with more oil content.

i find o'donnells 20% fuel excelent for mine, i dunno if it will work on your RB because of it being a higher level motor?

I am confident in tuning it to run on this fuel as i run my engines a bit on the rich side anyway . Just wondered if it would make it run a bit hotter ?
Thanks for the advice

it will run cooler actually because your fuel has a 5% higher methanol content.

Correct,
Rule of thumb, Higher Nitro will run cooler.
If you have the same settings for the same fuel one being 20% and the other being 30% the 30% will run cooler. Its easy to push an engine past its limits if you are tuning by temp alone. Racing fuels have a much smaller window of error.

dje, I see you're in the UK. I've heard that some shops there mix their own fuel. This is something we don't do in the states. We have brands like Odonnel and Sidewinder who make it their business to give us the best stuff for our engines. I think Byrons is available over there and that pretty good stuff (branded a lot of times as Mugen fuel in the states).

The guys over here that run RB S7 (and WS7) engines run 30% nitro. The oil content is a tricky thing. Our racing fuels use synthetic oils which are greatly different the the traditional castor oil. So can't compare precents.

The best advice I can give is to look around the UK and try and find some serious racing folks. What do they feed their RB engines? Buy whatever they use. That will be your best bet.

u want to run the highest castor based oil/fuel mix you can find, engines are designed to run on castor not full synth, castor penetrates the steel, especially on run in, ensuring esential cold start lube, also gives alot better compression seal than a synth fuel

all my RB engines i run 20% with 10% oil. also less oil content will make it run cooler and be more responsive. also 30% nitro is a little harder on the engine, so if wear is a concern stick with the 20, it will run just fine.

low10s said:
all my RB engines i run 20% with 10% oil. also less oil content will make it run cooler and be more responsive. also 30% nitro is a little harder on the engine, so if wear is a concern stick with the 20, it will run just fine.
less oil makes your engine run cooler???????
were did you get that idea, the oil is what cools your engine, you need to run a high castor oil not 50/50 oil fuel mix, your motor may appear to run cooler with less oil but it is causing serious wear inside

My previous post makes it sound like racing fuels are 100% synthetic oil. Sorry for the misinformation mikeburgin is right with them being mixed.

any racer i have ever talked to. run a fuel with 18% then go down in oil content and you will see. there is a point when not enough oil is bad. most racing fuels have no more than 12% oil.

low10s said:
any racer i have ever talked to. run a fuel with 18% then go down in oil content and you will see. there is a point when not enough oil is bad. most racing fuels have no more than 12% oil.
yeas i agree with that, i run 10% but what i was talking about was castor % to synth the higher the level of castor in the oil mix the longer and stonger your motor will run, like i said I'm not talking about oil to fuel I'm talking about castor to synth mix!!!!!

no prob man i did not take it any other way, i agree with ya totally. just alot of newcomers think more oil to nitro percent is better. i started of thinking the same thing but i was told and showed different LOL. peace

Back