Nitro RTR Off-Road???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsukdeo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey I'm a newbie, lookin for a new buggy. I've looked thru the forum, and compiled the opinions of a few people from a few different threads. I've narrowed it down to these choices: Ofna 9.5 MBX, Jammin X1CR, Ofna Hyper 7 PCR, Kyosho MP7.5. These are all RTR, within my price range. I am shopping on Tower Hobbies. I'm looking for reliability, easily upgradeable, fun to drive, possibly competitions in the future. Which one would you pick?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Jay

I sderiously think you should take a look at the Mayhem buggy. It is rtr and runs about 500(you apperent price range).

PiErow said:
I sderiously think you should take a look at the Mayhem buggy. It is rtr and runs about 500(you apperent price range).
I agree...amazing machine for its price! <----From a Mugen fan. Though to answer your question the Jammin or the H7 PCR would be my choice.

Last edited:
My choice would be the Kyosho Inferno MP7.5. You can upgrade to alot of the Kanai parts and it handels amazing. I have the Inferno MP7.5 kit, not the RTR, but they are pretty similar.

Thanks for your responses... the MP 7.5 has a plastic main gear and 2-shoe clutch, while the others have a steel main gear and a 3 shoe clutch. Will this make a big difference?

Thanks again for the help,
Jason.

jsukdeo said:
Thanks for your responses... the MP 7.5 has a plastic main gear and 2-shoe clutch, while the others have a steel main gear and a 3 shoe clutch. Will this make a big difference?

Jason.
I would upgrade that part regardless but CHeck into the OFNA PCR PRO.
THe Sportwerks Mayhem seem to be nice rig but no one here has said much about it. The Ofna Hyper 7 PCR PRO RTR is a kit a few of us here have. I have the PCR PRO KIT. LOVE THAT THING!!

I would go to ultimatehobbies.com, get their phone number, then call them and tell them you want a hyper 7 pcr. It will be shipped to your door for about $440.00, I don't care what these other guys are telling you, but you will not get a better rtr vehicle for that price. Towerhobbies is a great place to buy parts, but to buy kits or rtr vehicles they are sooo much higher than everywhere else. Just my .02

jsukdeo said:

Jason.
Oh, I didn't know that. I have the Kit which came with a steel main gear, but a 2-Shoe clutch. I think that these won't be that big of a problem, but like others have said the Ofna Hyper 7 PCR and the Sportwerks Mayhem are good oes to look at.

Mayhem

Thanks again for all the input... I think I've narrowed it down to the Mayhem or the Hyper 7. I've only heard good things about both these rides. I'm leaning more to the Mayhem. It comes with a .26, a nice steering and throttle servo (I think!!) and a nice radio (I think!). I'm kinda interested in having something that not everyone has too... "blazing my own path" so to speak... Looks like a good deal from horizon too. Am I missing anything on the comparison between the 2?

Thanks again,
Jay.

Well I think that 26 in the sport werks is similar to the Force 26 engine but not too sure. I can give you experienced opinion Hyper 7 PCR but the mayhem would be just straight opinion. As for and RTR I would do a thorough check on all screws metal to metal and loctite em down.

Let us know what you get and post pics!!!

Jon

i just got my mayhem and i love it...but at my sea level 300 ft above sea level my setting were so out of whack i coudnt start it.frusterated i took it down to my local hobby shop racers haven and i had them tune it up 4 me and then it was a sweet peice of rc machinery. we bought 5 of them total and 1 out of the box had a throttel servo failure and hung wide open when we first fired it up and took off at full speed into my roit iron fence in font of my house but no!!!dammage. my cousins part right off the crankshaft keeps getting oil locked so they techs have to replace the engine but lemme tell u when the guys got mine running i took it to the track behind there store and drove it on the track it had such broad power range and was looking good until i hit te wall at full speed and broke my lower unviersal a-arm. but thankfully i had enough cash left over to go and get replacements which i found out were only like 7$ so i got lucky sorry for jabbering on but this car will not let u down i wish i had my digital camera to take a video of it in action but i dont have anywhere to host it

sorry for the double post but only use 20%nitro when ur breaking it. in and also buy 3-4 xtra glow plugs until u get a couple tanks threw it? but the sportwerks.26 motor is fanominal

I would go for the mayhem if I were you
it a well build car, drives great and it is created in the usa
like you I want to have something different but nice but also best value for money

I apologize to the Hyper fans, but I'm going with the Mayhem... after long hours of researching, that's what I'm buying... I'll post pics as soon as its in my hands...

Thanks for all your help again!

-Jay

Don't apologize Bro. Your decision. No offensive comments made. I am just curious to see what the Mayhem is all about.

Post pics asap!!!

Jon

Purchased!!!

Done deal... from SouthEastRC.com. They had the best price... so hopefully it'll be here in the New Year. I'll post pics as soon as I get it. Thanks for all the help and advice. I bought 5 xtra plugs too to take me thru break-in. I can't wait!!!

-Jay

Back