Best RTR...Money not an issue.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob968323

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey Guys...

I'm a Newbie here so please go easy. I've been out of RC for about 15 years now and want to get started again. I used to work for Trinity for about five years. I ran lots of 1/12th indoor road and some 1/10th 2WD and 4WD dirt oval and off-road. BTW - Does anyone know if Ernie Provetti still owns Trinity? Does Tony P. still work for him?

I'm looking for the best RTR really with no money limitations. I'd say that anything under a grand is ok with me. I want something that's going to be very reliable that I can play around with and perhaps eventually race. I figure an RTR is the best way to get myself back into the swing of things. Also...my brother wants to buy a car at the same time. He has 0 RC experience so I wanted to get something that's easy for him to learn the ropes on. Like I said...at first we'll probably just be using them at the park, etc. He does have a track close by so eventually I'd like to get into racing.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Rob

There isn't one ride other than the Ofna Hyper 7 PCR RTR.IMO that is rtr and competitive. I have the Pro kit and my Buddy Zandor and a few others have the rtr version. The XB8, MBX5 Kanai and the 777 are all kit form. Any of those with a decent radio will serve you fine when mated with a nice 21 motor for rading . Or you can bash with a bigger block mill.

if money is not an issue then get a kit, a good FM radio, nice strong servos, good rechargeable 5 cell reciever pack. I am lookin at getting the Xb8... if you get an rtr its still like a kit cause you still gotta take a lot of the stuff apart to locktite it...

Is that true that most of the car needs to be taken apart so that everything can be secured with Locktite? So I guess there really is no such thing as an RTR...

well rtr you dont have to brake it down as far... but a kit you get better parts and stuff...

unless you don't care for loose parts then you can have it rtr but for us enthusiasts we want to make sure that the money we spend is not goint to fall aprt or run away from us. LOCTITE IS your friend. You the blue or semi-permanent. I use Loctite 425.

Use is sparingly.A little goes a long way

Kits are the greatest. It's the ONLY way to get a total understanding of how everything works. It's also not a problem to replace a broken part since you know how to get at it.

if i was in the market for a new RTR 1/8th buggy i would go one of 2 ways

either the ofna/hoBao hyper 7 PCR
here: http://www.ofna.com/hyper7-pcr.html

or the ofna/Jammin X1CR
here: http://www.jamminproducts.com/x1rtr.htm

both are truly competitive buggies in todays field....but i do believe it being the newer buggy that the X1cr would be the better of the 2....hope this helps

Last edited:
money isnt an issue. do it right, do it once. buy a kit. some type of ofna. they just came out w/a more budget friendly version of the hyper upon request w/radio or motor. trust me dont wanna go have 2 tear down the car anyway b/c of things that need 2 b gone over. change out the cheap radio system, then be stuck w/the motor they give you til it burns up. kit allows 2 pick the motor thats right for you. they come w/good parts that u dont have 2 break/bend, then buy anyway later. good luck

-Ult

Yeah, if money is not an issue, I agree on getting a kit and have it built right. If it's a matter of not wanting to build it, ask your LHS, I am sure they have someone who will build it for a small fee.

Hi,if I can voice my opinion.I talked to Brandon from Hot Bodies the other day and he says that their new 1/8 Lightning Stadium truck is a bad mo jo with the new .26.I know you probably want a buggy,but thats the cool thing it is a buggy only major modified,wider,longer and everything is laid down about as far as you can go for a really balanced ride.This is a really hot item right now and well under a grand.I think rtr,cost is around $500.00 and they claim it will run between 50-60mph.I hope you find this interesting.Other than that all buggies are pretty good to start out with.I have several trucks and one buggy.The buggy that I run is a couple years old but it has been great and is the ofna ultra lx pro.Well good luck.RUSS

Well, if he really wants an RTR I say go with an X-Terminator Pro. It is 80% built. This means that everything is all built for you, it just just doesn't come with an Engine, Radio system, or tires so you get to choose all of these.

Its like a mix lol, you get to choose that stuff like in a kit, but the chassis comes prebuilt :D. To me it sounds like the way to go for him.

Oh yeah, it comes with all sorts of Aluminum and Carbon Fiber hop-ups so its race ready. Maybe not as competitive as a Kyosho or Mugen but I think it'll hold its own for a new racer. Heres a link: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145603.asp

AC48 said:
Well, if he really wants an RTR I say go with an X-Terminator Pro. It is 80% built. This means that everything is all built for you, it just just doesn't come with an Engine, Radio system, or tires so you get to choose all of these.
Its like a mix lol, you get to choose that stuff like in a kit, but the chassis comes prebuilt :D. To me it sounds like the way to go for him.

Oh yeah, it comes with all sorts of Aluminum and Carbon Fiber hop-ups so its race ready. Maybe not as competitive as a Kyosho or Mugen but I think it'll hold its own for a new racer. Heres a link: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145603.asp
Ok that sounds like an assembled pro kit not a rtr as the rtr have an engine radio and tires. My PCR PRO kit came with tires.

I still think the PCR PRO is the best. THe xterminator sounds ok but not rtr

Jon

Your right it isn't RTR, but what I was saying is its the best mix. The Chassis is pre-built but you still get to pick your engine and radio.

I have seen the Pro and RTR in action. RTR was equipped with the stock 24-7 and the Pro with a Picco 26. Both were impressive but I would still have to buy so much stuff to get it running. I like the PCR PRO. I am not trashing the XTM buggy but I am just saying that RTR kits the best bang for your buck is the PCR PRO RTR. I would almost say the GS Storm RTR Plus but haven't seen one in action.

Thanks for the info guys.

There are so many opinions on this subject. It seems like if you want a car that's built like a tank you're better off building the thing yourself. The reason I didn't want to do this is because my brother has 0 RC experience and I have not been in it for about 15 years. This means that I will most likely end up building two cars. I figured a RTR would be a good way to break back in. So for a killer car it seems like the best are the Kanai and the Mugen.

Has anyone seen the Jammin in action? How does it hold up against the Mugen and Kyosho?

Thanks again.

Rob

rob968323 said:
Thanks for the info guys.

There are so many opinions on this subject. It seems like if you want a car that's built like a tank you're better off building the thing yourself. The reason I didn't want to do this is because my brother has 0 RC experience and I have not been in it for about 15 years. This means that I will most likely end up building two cars. I figured a RTR would be a good way to break back in. So for a killer car it seems like the best are the Kanai and the Mugen.

Has anyone seen the Jammin in action? How does it hold up against the Mugen and Kyosho?

Thanks again.

Rob
if i were you you theres only one choice in kit form MUGEN MUGEN MUGEN PROSPEC MBX5 if you want the best there is, there results in the worlds speaks for itself, I've got a kanai III i had a xb8 I've got a prosec mbx5 mugen and a sacker pro 2 and the mugen kicks them all, it handles it durable the build was so easy and parts a readily available almost anywere in the world, ask anyone who has one if they think theres anything better, if you want to bash, ask skymaxx what he thinks of his, watch some of his vids and you will see what i mean :)

Hey I know one everyone has forgot. CRONO!!!! If money is no issue then IMO Crono is the way to go. They sell a RTR Combo of their RSO1. It is truly ready to race. It comes with Airtronics Fm radio, battery back for radio and car, Nova Rossi motor, RB pipe, starter box, Ergal chassis,CVD's and more

Plain and simple there is no better RTR kit on the market if money is no option. The RSO1 is a race proven car, nothing cheap on it. I have driven this car and it is awsome. Not saying YOU should buy it but it is what "I" would buy.
http://www.svmcrono.com/#

Last edited:
I have no experience with Crono with the exception of their engines.. Though I must admit...thats a nice looking machine.

this guy will want something that he can go 2 his LHS and get parts for when he needs. what do ur LHS(s) stock car and parts wise?

i vote 4 OFNA (have 1-i've been out for 8yrs). most places carry them.

-Ult