my radio antenna is cut in 2 pieces!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pissant

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
well i just got the xs3 pro a couple weeks ago and somehow i cut the antenna into 2, its cut pretty close to the reciever! is it fixable if i took it to a lhs?? please tell me it is :dumb:

If there's still some wire coming out of the receiver you can strip about 1/2 inch of insulation off both ends and twist it back together. It will work, but I recommend you solder it also. Then cover the splice with shrink tubing or electrical tape. Shortening it by only 1/2" won't be a problem.
Before you drive it, turn the Rx and the Tx on, and walk away from it and range test the signal. That's just to make sure you didn't pull it loose from the board inside the receiver.

Personally, I'd order a new antenna wire and de-solder it from the circuit board instead of splicing it together. Splicing it will get you by, but I'd replace it for a permanent fix.

Here's a link to the antenna wire. Just make sure to cut it to be the same length as what you had in order to keep the antenna tune correct to avoid messed up range.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRPA170

the thing is i have never solder my whole life and dont even own one of those tool, well iam going to call my lhs and see if they can do anything about it, if not i going give rolex idea a try, maybe the lhs could solder it

My suggestion was for a 'quick fix' just to keep you running. It WILL work, soldered or not, but in any case, don't leave it like that. Have the LHS replace it for you.

ok i am taking it in tom, same with the v-spec engine i got for x-mas, i can never get these shoes on, lol

thus let it be ur 1st lesson in learning how to solder. use old pieces of stick battery cable or old motor/battery connectors and practice solderin w/the flux, solder etc in makin good joints. then take the Rx wire. splice off some sheath leavin a bare end, very very short, just enuff 2 poke thru the pcb (board). get a swab of flux on it. burn it w/the iron. u might even have some solder on the tip of ur hot iron alreay. so u might see it coat silver around the copper wire. if not, add a lil, i mean a LIL. take the point of ur iron and heat up the hole (w/solder and old wire in it, get that out w/tweezers or needle-nose. then slip the new wire in. touch it w/the iron til its all molten. then pull iron away and let set to u see it all go 2 a satin like/brushed color. ur done. snap the box 2gether and go.

its easy w/an iron, any over 30W will do. if i can change an old futaba mc10 esc from futaba G (yes there was somethin else b4 J) to J w/a weller solderin gun. then u can do this.

-Ult

A timely tip on soldering. Use ONLY an electronics soldering iron (the kind you get at Radio Shack) around a receiver. The strong magnetic field from a soldering gun, such as Weller, can cause problems in the receiver circuitry.

Rolex said:
A timely tip on soldering. Use ONLY an electronics soldering iron (the kind you get at Radio Shack) around a receiver. The strong magnetic field from a soldering gun, such as Weller, can cause problems in the receiver circuitry.

That's the first time I've ever heard that. I took electronice in high school, and the standard soldering gun was a Weller. Granted I have yet to solder a Rx antenna, but will be soon, but it hasn't ever given me any problems on various other electronics. What makes a Rx so special?

I just caught that on a video tape about R/C airplanes, from a guy who really knows his stuff.
I worked in electronics for several years, and everything was done with an iron, not the gun.
Electronic circuits are very sensitive, but we overlook that since they are usually very stable.
In any TV, VCR or other circuit boards, certain components are shielded to protect those components from electrical, radio or magnetic interference.
There is no shielding in a Rx, and the transformer in a Weller or other 'instant on' gun gives off a strong magnetic field. It's one of those things you might or might not get away with, but once I know it's a potential problem, I won't do it for any reason.

I guess I didn't know the differance between an iron, and a gun. Mine is a Weller, but it is an iron. Non instant on. I just wanted to be sure, as I will be trying it out soon. Like you said if it is a potential problem, then I will try to avoid it.

Okay. The Weller gun is just that......a big gun. Heavy, with a handle and a 2 position trigger with a light. Anytime I hear the name Weller, I only think of the gun. These things actually buzz when you're holding the trigger. That's a strong transformer in there.

go spend 5bux and get a 30-40W iron.

-Ult

Great advice rolex. I now can say I learned something to day.. thank you

Rolex said:
I just caught that on a video tape about R/C airplanes, from a guy who really knows his stuff.
I worked in electronics for several years, and everything was done with an iron, not the gun.
Electronic circuits are very sensitive, but we overlook that since they are usually very stable.
In any TV, VCR or other circuit boards, certain components are shielded to protect those components from electrical, radio or magnetic interference.
There is no shielding in a Rx, and the transformer in a Weller or other 'instant on' gun gives off a strong magnetic field. It's one of those things you might or might not get away with, but once I know it's a potential problem, I won't do it for any reason.

Back