Mugen MBX5 Prospec Thread :)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeburgin

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just thought id start a pro spec thread for any usefull or useless info that ant one has, and start it with a few pics of my beast

Attachments

• 2004_1217_011951AA1.jpg
    2004_1217_011951AA1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 264
  • 2004_1217_012004AA1.jpg
    2004_1217_012004AA1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 2004_1217_012014AA1.jpg
    2004_1217_012014AA1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 175
Nice! Hopfully I'll be able to post some pics of mine after X-Mas.

how do you like that 421b? been thinking about picking one up

Last edited:
Because I'm a post whore and because I can, here's a clipping from one of my other posts about my MBX-5s.

I have two MBX-5s that are almost full PROSPEC via the hop-up method. One is powered by a RB S-7 Europa the other by an RB S-5. Both haul the mail and both fly well.

MBX5A.jpg

MBX5B.jpg

To see them flying, check these videos. Both require Quicktime to view. Short one is .MOV format the long one is .MP4 format.

Short one (1.2MB) with one jump. CLICK HERE

Long one (27.8MB) with several RCs jumping. The MBX-5 is at time index 1:47, 1:49, and 1:59 near the end. CLICK HERE

well mine is in sorta can't ave it till saturday! ahhhhhhhhhh

engine040.jpg

Nobody will know crzy. Just do it.

lol too late everything is open i got carried away now i can't fit it back in the bag ahahahha

Saterday i will post apicture of mine. I know I'm getting a prospec but as far as which mill.........

ok building has started but ended abruptly because i can't do anything lol, waiting for new orings for the diffs, i put the flywheel ont he engine lol

nice guys

Skymaxx you realise that the wings are sposed to stay on the buggy after a jump and i do recomend a plane if you want anymore air than that lol nice work, was it still driving at the end

Kyosho i love the 421 but i only use it when its wet and gluggy, normally run RB WS-7 II for drier coditions, more top end and more controllable out of corners, the 421 is an absolute torque beast, goes through tyre real quick :)

CRZY SVG USR youll love that setup prospec and a rb, really doesn't get much sweeter :) except maybe a reall nice women the mornin after lol

Last edited:
Couldn't get a prospec when I went in to the shop so bought the stand. and all the parts to make it a ProSpec. Only had a day to buy and build and then drive to NC to race. This pic is from Nov. Man don't miss the Kanai no that I drive the Mugen.
rat%20body.jpg

nice paint work on that body, hope its a posser body and you dont race with it ouch if you do :) yeah I was the same with my Kanai as well, thought there was no way a mugen could get better than it, but....... here we are mugen thread and all

Nope it is a race body. A friend paints for me and the track.
rat%20buggy%20ILP1.jpg

think he best start painting bodies for me to

mikeburgin said:
nice guys

Skymaxx you realise that the wings are sposed to stay on the buggy after a jump and i do recomend a plane if you want anymore air than that lol nice work, was it still driving at the end

Yes, I do realize that. That is why my buggies have their wings. The wingless buggy you see in the vid is SkyLine Racer's MBX-4. He broke his wing and couldn't find a replacement the previous bash...and he didn't want to miss out on that one...so he brought it without the wing. Still flew well.

As for the planes...I get to fly for a living...at least ride in the back of them. Fly Navy. So flying cars is great fun for me. :D

And yes, the buggies drove off after each landing except one. It nose dived into the berm on the far side and stalled. Only damages were one sheared shock shaft and a busted lower a-arm. Both repaired in the field. Both survived other jumps of the same caliber.

I'm a basher...not a racer. :D

Looks like the MBX5/prospec thread is getting some action.

I have a regular mbx5. Last summer, I broke the front lower brace twice and bent my front shock tower pretty good.

One can only assume when you upgrade to the prospec, you end up with different parts that break. If I upgrade to the prospec parts, what should I stock up on for spares?

So far the only things I break regularly on my two MBX-5s are shock shafts and lower a-arms.

I have sheared almost two full sets of shocks worth of shock shafts (all on the front of the buggy) and snapped two lower a-arms. Aside from those major parts, I have sheared the heads off a couple of screws that hold the chassis stiffening braces.

So, it might be hard to say as far as what to stock up on. I have a full box of stock parts in case the upgrades bend...so far, no need to use them.

Thanks for the info SkyMaxx. I once stripped the threads out of the nut on the end of the shock shaft. What happens a lot of the time to the mbx5 (what happened to me) is the grub screws in the lower A-arms that limit downward travel can either work out or grind away at the chassis. Before every race, I just tighten those limiters as needed and make sure the shocks aren't able to over extend themselves. After I started doing that, I've never had another shock problem.

My shock problems have nothing to do with over-extension and everything to do with extremely rapid compression. Too many falls from great heights causing compression shears at the base of the shaft where the threads start for the rod end.

Were I purely a racer, I'd say that nothing on my buggies would have broken over the time I have owned them. Since I am a basher and tend to be a bit extreme at it, the fact that the only thing broken are a couple of a-arms and some shock shafts is somewhat of a minor miracle in my books.

When I owned a T-Maxx and a Savage, I'd often find myself spending hundreds of dollars to keep them in running order after a serious bash session. These things (MBX-5s and the Prospec models) are freaking strong and have handled my treatment of them rather admirably.