HPI-Killers AE MGT 4.6 & LRP .32 MGT Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well I have acquired a new/used MT & finally got my hands on what I have wanted for a long time! Team Associated Monster GT 4.60 with a few hopups.

This will be my only primary nitro to drop $ into until I get my busted and bent up MAXX goin.

Here are some pics
P1100091_zpsc1a0d66b.jpg

P1100092_zps9ebc0cbc.jpg

P1100093_zps4c217f2e.jpg

P1100097_zpsa5588586.jpg

P1100098_zpsff1a837c.jpg

I am curious to whats a good "stiffer" shock setup that can take the impact of the weight while jumping?

What are some things I should do right off the get-go for mods?

I am looking at either a .28 or.30 O.S. engine or the Dynamite "Big Red" engine. Any opinions on these engines and what will suit me best? That or I repinch the AE 28 pro already in her.

I can't speak for the OS engines but the BigRed is a drop in with no mods. They are difficult to locate and I believe Dynamite stopped making parts for it so be careful.

There is a FT shock set from Associated for the 4.6 that are super stiff and would work great but are difficult to come by as they stopped making them 8ish years ago. I bought a set and put em on my Tmaxx. Havent broke anything yet and they jump/wheelie VERY well.

There are Dynamite Big Red engines on egay for like $150.00. I would go with either a Picco or an LRP.28 or .30 engine. My MGT has been a great rig. The toe links are a little weak but if you upgrade to the Lundsford punisher they take a pretty good beating. I would do a FOC to the trans if you have not already.

Hmm okay interesting, yeah I hope she stays running and not broken lol.. Thankfully it already has the FOC. Is a single speed conversion a good idea with these? My mgt has a tuff time shifting into 2nd and usually has to be leaned out to get the shifts.

Toelinks on the truck now are a GPM kit. You can still get the BigRed on fleabay but the carbs and P/S sets are hard to come by when you need a rebuild

Wish I could find a set of those RPM arms in that white. All I can find are blue.

I'm actually going to buy black ones to replace them, so when I do and your still looking maybe we can deal.

Whats a good gearing ratio for these? I'm running 16/52 with 30% nitro pushing through her.

Can I use 30% nitro as a degreaser? I'm going to clean the internals of my pull starter and back plate area and can't find any household...

----

On a cordless drill roto start, how long should I be on the trigger tryin to start? I hate the idea of roto just for wear n tear on the block...

Last edited:
I'm actually going to buy black ones to replace them, so when I do and your still looking maybe we can deal.

Whats a good gearing ratio for these? I'm running 16/52 with 30% nitro pushing through her.

I would be willing to deal on the white RPM arms. And I always use denatured alcohol to clean my engines and parts. The nitro would work, just kinda expensive to use unless its old and no good anymore. As for gearing both my MGT's are whatever they are stock.

Okay nice, i have lots of denatured alc around. My anniversery is coming up and requested a gift card to my LHS so I will pick some black arms up and keep the whities for you. What kind of suspension are you running? Soft of stiff springs? I'm going to attempt a truggy setup on this beast and make sure that this MGT will be an HPI-Killer!

Man just great and totally my luck!!!! I can't get it started to save my life and clueless to why. I reset needles LSN, HSN & MSN to factory and ran 2 tanks in her day before last. The last time she struggled to stay alive towards 2nd tanks end muffled buh buh blahhh *died* and that was it... doesn't even act like it wants to turn over, no its not flooded and yes the plug is brand new and glows. Everything is charged up too, I dont get it...

Full operating temps seemed in normal range and a drip of spit would sizzle dry on the head after 4-5 seconds so it wasn't overheated and drew a nice trail of light blue while runnin it

GRRR!!

Last edited:
The only difference for you is I always ran 20% thru her to where you r running 30% so I imagine you had to retune due to stronger nitro content. Hopefully you get her fired up again soon otherwise I may feel a bit guilty about it.

Ya I hope shes okay, I wouldnt think 10% more nitro would kill her, d d do you? If shes toast shell go in the pit bag with the maxx and gt2 untill funds surface..

Okay, I have tried everything I can possibly think of to get her running with no success....

I am afraid with the 30% I ran in her when she always had 20% did something bad and am afraid to find out what...

What should I do next with this truck? I may replace the orange fuel lines with trans blue just to make sure fuel is flowing to the carb, other than that I am thinking I will have to tear the mill down and take a look inside. If the mill is shot I can pick up another .28 pro for $100 or save my pennies and drop in a nice LRP or something along those lines.

Advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Guess thats a good place to start, how old are the fuel lines, tank & primer bulb? Guess that would be a good question for my own sake on this.

Man I had a Savage X that would not start on me one time, I fought that thing. I changed glow plugs fuel tank you name it she just would not start. One night decided well maybe fuel line, installed the fuel line fired right up. If I was you if your taking it apart I would go a head and tear the mill down and clean it and seal it back up just to be sure.

Fueltank is the original stock. The primer bulb is about 3/4-1 gallon old (I did have the original 1 split on me and let air in the fueline) The fueline is only about a qt old

Alright folks I'm getting a hefty tax return that I get 1k to my own doing. I'm lookin for a new powerplant and need suggestions. I want a MONSTER of a powerplant with gearing opinions. I'm lookin for a new tranny setup and need help gearing it all out and bomb proofing as much as i can. Discussion is now open. I am only lookin for pull start units.