HPI-Killers "In Loving Memory" 1.9 Spec Wraith*UPDATED*

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay folks, I have had this kit for about 4 days now, building it up and taking a heavy amount of pics (as usual) but cannot upload any right now for my camera is at my house and I am starting this thread at my parents.

So for those who are wondering why this is going to be an "In Loving Memory" build, is because I recently lost a real close friend "Mad Mike" to suicide. Mike was the ONLY guy that got who I was for my love of RCs(besides my good friends @ RCNT). I started him off with scaling and crawling and he naturally loved it like I do. After he passed away, I was so torn up inside to know that my only RC buddy that I run with, is gone. So I wanted to do an RC build in his honor, and what better way to than to buy a crawler and dedicate it to him. I have a bunch of upgrades that I picked knowing that "Mad Mike" would have picked out himself.

This is what I have got going on for now, and since there is no pictures I have to entertain you with reading for now :D.

-----
Axial Wraith Kit Version (Mike loved crawling)
Black 2.2 Junfac Murdock Beadlock Wheels
2.2 Rockbeast Pitbull II tires (Scale version)
RC4WD chassis mounted servo/panhard kit
Pro-Line Jeep Rubicon Wraith Body (Mike LOVED the Jeep bodies)
Pactra 3oz Outlaw Black (Mike always wanted a black on black crawler setup)
Axial Alloy Servo Horn
East End Machining Inner Sprung 'firm' Springs (Mike loved shocks w/o springs)
Savox 1256TG Servo (Me & Mike ONLY ran Savox & loved them)
Tamiya's Wild Willy Driver Kit (This will be painted and mocked up to look like Mike, so no matter what he will be with me in spirit, and in the seat driving.
---
Now I know this MIGHT belong in the crawler section, but I am putting so much effort into this rig that I consider it more of a scale truck than a crawler. And I dont get traffic in the Build section, so it will go here like the rest of my Axial builds :hehe:

Now I am open to suggestions to what else I can add to this kit as I build it to really honor my friend the best and funnest way I can think of.

---
I am looking to get a paint mask cut but cannot find anyone with the means to make it small enough to be a paint mask, and the same time have words that are readable.

Pain Mask Thoughts
"Mad Mike"
1983-2013
---
In Loving Memory
Mad Mike
1983-2013

Or something along those lines, if ANYONE knows where I can have this mask made, PLEASE speak up, it would mean the world to me.

Other than that, pics are coming tomorrow. Lol now I have to start building so I can get happy again because starting this thread made me kind of sad.

---------
Totally Off Topic, but for those who are interested in informing themselves on my friends death I will post a link to the thread.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103595
---------
And I have to have a pic of Mike in here so he can see what I am doing. (Stupid maybe, but deal with the way I setup my threads)..
I love you Mike!!
IMG_20110207_142132.jpg

(The SCX10 on the right, used to belong to SMaxxin, then he sold it to me where I was bitten by the bug and then was traded to Mike for a beat up AX10) Lol makes me smile to think I made him happy by trading a nice used SCX10 for the AX10 that was comepletly garbage just so I could get him into it... Sorry I will shut up now..

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to the build bro.

Re: Killers " In Loving Memory" Axial Wraith Build Thread

Try stopping by a tattoo shop,I would bet that someone would like to help you out with your rip masking,good luck bro

transmited from a mobile communications device

Re: Killers " In Loving Memory" Axial Wraith Build Thread

I know someone that can make the mask for you. Please send me a pm.

I think Mike is really going to enjoy this build, VP has lots of more scale stuff that has been coming out lately and I don't think he would object to some VP parts on this memorial build.

Yeah i usually buy Axial alloy but i am with you i should deck it out with VP upgrades. I love their new scale items. Thanks for the kind words Curtis i hope he enjoys it.

album.php

Last edited:
have you got a printer? could photoshop em and print it on sticky paper. or just make the file and take it to kinkos... then take a exacto knife to it.

anyways sorry to hear about your friend mike. the build looks like it will be a good one. is that him in the pic you posted right? maybe use that same red.white.black paint shceme if so, even down to the same pattern?

Update! Dont have my own PC so I rely on my parents for updates now... Been awhile since I have posted, but here is what I have got going on as of now. Its been hard for me to get motivated because after 3-4 Axial kit builds, I am getting burned out lol!

Here is me in total wacked out foggy drunk brain build mode
DSCF0110_zps5ce93e8f.jpg

Axles done (AR60s are so much more of a pain than the original SCX10 axles..
DSCF0112_zps60e68d26.jpg

Shocks built and beer vented for easy drunkability :hehe: (Yeah they are not 100%) I had a hard time keeping with the build after so many beers..
DSCF0113_zpsb21be8a1.jpg

Axles assembled with the shocks & links
DSCF0116_zps3d5c3f5a.jpg

Took the powerhouse out of my EXO since I lost interest in fixing it. So now the Wraith gets the Velinion brushless setup. Stock geared tranny with 20t pinion(is that a big enough pinion?)
DSCF0118_zps3d79c5c4.jpg

Everything assembled on the skid with MIP shafts from my SCX10. Lol I didnt have a tool lon enough to assemble the stock shafts, so it gets MIPs..
DSCF0120_zps83b078be.jpg

DSCF0121_zps44d966e9.jpg

Cage partially assembled and mocked up on the rig
DSCF0122_zps2b9e94ba.jpg

Mad Mike painted up, paint is a little ruff for I have not gone back in and touched up whats messy (I will touch it up, no worries on the noob paint..)
DSCF0123_zps65f60a60.jpg

DSCF0124_zps8146a2ff.jpg

And apparently thats all the pics I have for you... I am stuck between making the drivers helmet have a mirrored lense over the face or make some scale mirrored Aviator style shades for thats all Mike wore :hehe:

As far as paint, I am so lost on what to slap on her, whether to paint the inside or do the scale silver inside and blacked out on the outside for a scratch and show effect...

More to come soon, I promise :hehe:

As of this morning, getting ever closer to fiunishing.
DSCF0148_zpsc3a0d6f1.jpg

DSCF0149_zpse87408c8.jpg

DSCF0150_zpsf73a5e29.jpg

oh man that's looking good. I just got back from a week in moab. actually was quite a few wraith looking "creations" down there. I wana see your jeep body on there already! its what I always wanted on a wraith, if I had one.

Okay after a few months being totally bured out on kit building I finally got my crap together and plunged back into it and got it completly done minus to hinge setup on the hood.

Enjoy fellas!
DSCF3002_zps8410f548.jpg

DSCF3003_zpsb6573416.jpg

DSCF3004_zps39186f13.jpg

DSCF3005_zps91377c1b.jpg

DSCF3006_zpscfe8d1e8.jpg

DSCF3007_zps577d4ece.jpg

DSCF3008_zpse2655851.jpg

DSCF3009_zps47433767.jpg

DSCF3010_zps07809b72.jpg

Need to get some ideas on a hinge system for the hood that can be either sleek or visible and can take some hits without worry of breaking off.

I think best lookin upgrade on this baby is the RC4WD chassis mounted servo kit, makes the front so scale!

Almost missed the update, came out nice bro.

Almost missed the update, came out nice bro.

Thanks man its been fun. Hope I can get a good season with her soon and some videos up. I didnt think anyone was going to chime in lol.

Um, your tire is flat!! :D

Sent from my Pipboy-3000

That came out sick, I really like the color and Rock Beast tires.

Sent from my LG Motion

Nice work man!! I love the look of the Wraith, and have been tempted so many times. I just fear I'll build it and be bored with it like my crawler that's been run 6 times in 6 years. LOL

Back