Gasoline powered HPI Savage XL Octane

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hpi-savage-xl-octane.jpg

It's been rumored now for sometime but it looks like HPI is finally putting this together. The new HPI Savage XL Octane is a 4x4 monster truck raised to a whole new height with it's gasoline powered 15cc engine. Could this be the beginning of the end for "nitro"?...

Click to continue

hhhhmmmmmm? I would have felt better about this if they had used an engine that is known for durability instead of creating their own. The motor in the 1/5 scales made by CY or other brands run great and I think that's what they should have used. I would hate to see that we spend a large amount of money on this thing and find out that it has a crappy engine. And we're not going to have many options of upgrading it to a better engine.

I think it's pretty interesting. I know I'd have trouble moving my 19 Lb. Bling Thing Savvy with the 5.6 and the 22cc gas engine would be much too big even with the extended frame.
I'll be waiting for some more testing and info on this one.

As many times as they've pushed the release back on this thing, it better be the cat's meow when it hits shelves. I'm very interested to see how it performs, and more importantly, how they price it.

@mrbones you have a very valid point but even a step further - even if this engine is a "great" engine I don't know very many people that are ever happy with a "stock" engine regardless of how well that stock engine might be. Most of of are all looking for bigger and better and just as you've pointed out the early adopters will certainly be limited to just one engine.

Then again if this has the success as past Savages have or the HPI Baja then I think it's just a matter of time until we not only see more gasoline engines available but also other manufactures making gasoline powered cars and trucks!

I can't wait to see what the future holds not only for the Savage Octane but also R/C as a whole!

Well I just might be getting a savage after all....just not until late summer.

I hope nitro never goes away its really why i joined the hobby noting beats the smell of nitro fuel lol i think the 1/5 scale trucks are cool but way out of my price range and i dont think you can do as much to them motor wise dont really know though. 1000 for just a truck and then all the goodies to go with it over time would add up to my 1986 jeep wrangler build to me takes alot from the hobby. With me saying that i hope i dont up set the guys that run them just something i can't t really afford to get in to.

I am interested in seeing how this engine will be off the line. If it has the acceleration that a nitro can deliver, with top speeds in the same general vicinity, I am sure this will be a hit, providing it doesn't carry a Baja size price tag, and even if it does there are many die hard hpi fans that will buy it no matter the price. Personally, I'm going to wait a bit on this one. But to all who do get one please post your experiences :)

i am rather curious as to what other changes they did to this chassis that will work with my X type chassis. i will probably never have a gasser, i think they are way to expensive. wish there was a way to mount a walmart weedeater motor in a savage :)

I don't know. I feel like it is going to be extremely over priced. But I guess that's how everything is when it is first released. I am and always will be a electric guy. But this does very much make me want a gas truck with out a 1/5 price tag. :D

While I’m not very interested in the Truck, I have been waiting on this engine for a couple of years.
Hopefully the chop shops will have the engine and associated electronics for sale shortly after the release of the truck so I can get my hands on them. I have a chassis just waiting for it

I am with everyone else on this,interesting to say the least.I have had my eye on an 1/5 scale gaser.FG,MCD.But to darn expensive.It would cost $5,000,maybe more to have one tricked out and bulletproof.I could have a nice used car for those prices.I think nitro will always be around for true diehards,I love nitro.the smell,everything about it.

I got my 5sc for roughly 1300 and all I've done to it is install a pull start filter and an upgraded outer air filter. The truck has been bullet proof to date and I've got a few more upgrades on the way. So for around 1500 or so I have a dependable large scale rc. Yes they're expensive but not that expensive to maintain. It will probably have a price tag of around 750 or so considering that the xl is around 6. I do have a question though: when we first seen this awhile back, wasn't it just 2wd? Kinda smart of hpi to release a gas rc but with 4wd on a proven platform.

I hope nitro never goes away its really why i joined the hobby noting beats the smell of nitro fuel lol i think the 1/5 scale trucks are cool but way out of my price range and i dont think you can do as much to them motor wise dont really know though. 1000 for just a truck and then all the goodies to go with it over time would add up to my 1986 jeep wrangler build to me takes alot from the hobby. With me saying that i hope i dont up set the guys that run them just something i can't t really afford to get in to.

I'm not going to get upset for you saying that cause I'm one of your nitro brothers! I have a room full of them and even though I have a gas truck, I'm not going to stop doing nitro. I traded 3 of my nitro's for a 1/5 gas truck made by FS. I was not going to up and spend $600 to get it but it's the same price as a new Revo. Almost all of the parts for it are dirt cheap. You can buy a new engine for it for about $120. The engine for the Revo is at least $130 new and it's junk to start with until you put a Davis rod in it. You don't need to modify the engine because it is already a monster and has unreal power. AND it runs on fuel that cost $3.25 a gal instead of the $38 that I spend on nitro fuel. I fill the gas tank and grab my transmitter and go. It starts right up every time. It runs for 1/2 hr on a tank. Don't have to tune t every time I take it out. Don't have to be concerned with a dead glow plug ignitor or dead glow plug. But you need a lot of room to run it because it's huge and weighs 38lbs. And I can run it in the winter without concern about damage to the engine from the cold. So the cost is about the same that people spend on a high end nitro truck or buggy. I just bet that HPI is going to want at least $600 for this new gas truck. For the same price, you can get a 1/5 scale with a 30cc engine that will eat that thing up.

Last edited:
I don't know. I feel like it is going to be extremely over priced. But I guess that's how everything is when it is first released. I am and always will be a electric guy. But this does very much make me want a gas truck with out a 1/5 price tag. :D

Recently I've been bitten by the brushless bug, and I am really debating switching to all electrics. I have always loved nitro, but with the instant torque, and ease of programming that bl offers, it had turned me away from nitro a bit. plus I want a Tekin powered XL

Recently I've been bitten by the brushless bug, and I am really debating switching to all electrics. I have always loved nitro, but with the instant torque, and ease of programming that bl offers, it had turned me away from nitro a bit. plus I want a Tekin powered XL

You can't scare people and annoy the neighbors with an electric! And you'll miss the smell of burning nitro fuel.

You can't scare people and annoy the neighbors with an electric! And you'll miss the smell of burning nitro fuel.

I will miss the sound, but as far as neighbors my closest ones are 5 or so acres away, and they dont care if i go out shooting everyday .. much less an rc car. (sorta nice not having to worry about butthead neighbors) Plus the only real track near me doesn't allow nitro :-/.

This will be a basher like the baja was until other people buy one. Until then a nitro powered r/c will out run it. If you have ever drove an 1/8 scale and turned around and drove a 5 th scale there are a world of difference in the handling of them. Initial cost, weight, option parts and development of a class to race it in should be factors that you weigh before buying one. If you have the money to spare and just want to bash then please get one so us other r/c guys will know what we are looking at before we drop a large coin on it.

[ Until then a nitro powered r/c will out run it. If you have ever drove an 1/8 scale and turned around and drove a 5 th scale there are a world of difference in the handling of them.

Not in tall grass it won't. The nitro will get too hot running in grass. 1/8 will out perform a 1/5 in dirt and hard top though. BUT I think if you have the opportunity to run over a cat with a 1/8, it would probably make you crash where as a 1/5 scale will just keep on going! The problem with that around here is that the coyotes ate all the cats.

Back