TRX 2.5 vs Epic 18

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsonoma

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a trx 2.5 engine in my onroad car, but i'm thinking of getting an epic 18 for it. So i was wondering if anyone could give me an HONEST opinion on whether or not it's faster than the 2.5. The only reason i say honest is because i've noticed not a lot of people like the 2.5 around here, so i didn't want people telling me to buy the epic just because they hate the 2.5. But that aside is the epic a better performer? I'm mostly looking for higher rpms, but more power all around would be nice. I know there are better 18's out there like the OS, or the sirio, but those are kind of on the expensive side. Just curious what everyone thinks. thanks

I think the 2.5 has higher rpm range than the epic 18, but the epic has a higher hp rating which means it will pull you out of the corners and off the line harder.

I had an orion wasp 18 (the block looks identical to the epic) and it would pull my maxx around pretty good. It did better than the OS 15 cv-r(x) in my maxx. Although, the 2.5 is rear exhaust and I believe the epic is side exhaust. So it may be cheaper for you to go with a sirio or fantom 18 since if you buy the epic, you'll need $40-$60 worth of exhaust to install it. With the sirio and fantom, they are both rear exhaust engines that should bolt right in. Hell, I think they can both use the roto start as well off the 2.5.

Thats kind of another reason why i wanted the epic is because it's side exhaust. I have a hpi rs4 3, and right now the header from my 2.5 is just about touching my rear turnbuckle and it's starting to wear on my recoil. I'm not using the stock t-max header in case you were wondering why it's rubbing on the recoil, i didn't like how that header came down on an angle and i couldn't run a lot of pipes because of it. But anyways, anyone else have an opinion?

I for one have no issues with the TRX2.5, I think it's a good all around mill with an excellent price tag (just got a fresh one last week from tower $119 less the current tower special would have been $10 if I only bought the engine, but I pick up a couple other things to get to $150 for free shipping and that put me in the $15 discount range).

I have an old style Maxx, this thing is solid Aluminum and weighs in around 60-70 pounds (J/K), that has the Epic .18 in it. This set-up will pull away from my lightened 2.5 Maxx. The Epic is truly an under-rated mill. This thing will wind out...wind out some more and then keep winding. For the money I would rank the epic with any of the high dollar .18's out there.

There is a good reveiw of the Epic at Beatyourtruck. c o m

Someone commented on the EZ-start, I know you aren't using it in your car, but thought I would address it. The EZ start almost fits...you have to put the traxxas one way bearing in place of the Epic, then the EZ slides right on and the holes line right up. The problem is it falls about a 1/16 of an inch short of seating against the block. I thought about cutting a gasket from some heavy material, but opted for the pull-start instead.

Mr T