Toner Cartridges

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
Rather than pay the outrageous prices Canon wants for laser toner, I bought a 4 pack of cartridges, 3 colors and one black through ebay. I paid $40 less for all 4 than I had paid JUST for one Canon black at Office Depot.
I've had to replace the yellow and the cyan (red) and now I have a continuous error message that the cyan cartridge has reached it's end. It will NOT reset.

Any ideas?

Sorry, I'm used to working with people who call anything that can print in color a Laser printer. I'm sure that you reseated the toner before posting, so I won't worry about that. Have you tried a hard-reset of the printer?

You'll have to explain that one to me. Individually they just lift out, and drop in.

I've pulled power to it. I uninstalled and reinstalled it.

Our office had a similar issue with an aftermarket cartridge. Nothing would get rid of the error message until the IT guy used the aluminum foil trick. There’s also a fridge magnet trick that apparently more people have better luck with.
There’s a square indent on the cartridge that you cover with aluminum foil or a fridge magnet cut to fit the indent and tape in place. You have to visually keep track of the toner level but it worked for them until the next time when they used a canon cartridge and the error message didn’t re-apper.

I bought a spare Canon black cartridge when I got the printer that cost $118. Each of the color cartridges were just under 100. The set of 4 were $80 on ebay and the yellow works fine. I have a constant error with the Cyan and I have to walk up to the printer and mess with the menu every time I want to print, even if it's just black text.
I know it has something to do with the chip, but I haven't gotten a reply from the seller, yet.

Canon and HP were notorious for using specialty chips in their toner and ink cartridges to prevent users from using any but their own name-branded cartridges.

As far as a hard reset, Rolex, there is usually a setting in the menus on the printer that allows you reset everything to factory settings and restart everything.

I need to replace a developer drum for the black toner on mine and am not looking forward to it.

Well, I just got a reply from the seller and he asked if I'd agree to a new Cyan cartridge.
Fine with me, the yellow swapped out effortlessly.

I've run into glitches here and there, but NEVER had a problem dealing with ebay or paypal. If one didn't take care of me, the other did.

I got the package yesterday. I opened it to install it about half an hour ago. They sent me black instead of Cyan.
In our dispute dialogue boxes there are now words with ALL capitol letters.

Brain dead idiots.

Shouldn't be a problem telling which one is black and which one is a color...

$(KGrHqZHJE8FG498FoFmBRz7z,p0T!~~60_57.jpg

Each "Re manufacturers" address the chip in different ways.
Some reset the chips, some replace them. During the process some ships get disturbed and dont match up properly to the counterpart on the printer. Take a look and see if the chip is seated properly.

You can also look and see if the chip and its counterpart is clean. If there is corrosion on either side you can clean them up and make sure they have proper contact. Also make sure the cartridge is seated properly.

The manufacturers are also combating the compatible market by "Pushing" new firmware into your printer and messing with the drivers. If you get compatible cartridges to work disable any automatic updates to your printer and driver set. (Both Inkjet and toner based printers) You can try to reinstall the ORIGINAL driver you got with the printer or look for an older version and roll back.

Sometimes printers can get confused. This can call for a "Hard Reset" Google your printer model number with the phrase Hard Reset and follow the directions. It can range from holding down a series of buttons and powering up or removing cartridges and powering down. The most common hard reset is to turn the printer on and remove ALL THE CARTRIDGES AND *DRUMS *Drums on a laser that had them separate from the toner cartridges. Once that is done you need to unplug the printer from the wall AND THE USB PORT. Let is sit for 30 min to drain the capacitors. Plug it back in, install the cartridges.

You forgot you had a friend in the ink and toner business didnt you?
www.InkSale.com

-Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for that info Ed. :first_place:

A couple of years ago I had a Canon all in one inkjet printer that NEVER printed again after getting it's first 3rd party inkjet tank. $300, out the window.

Sorry, I thought you gave up the inks for the RC stores. Punish me, PLEASE.

EDIT:
I can't find Canon Image Class MF 8380 listed.

Last edited: