Hello Everyone

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrRobot

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi,
I'm a little bit off on a tangent, but I'm hoping you folks can help point me in the right direction...

I'm working on a research project in robotics, and the design calls for some suspension components that can handle some amount of potential abuse.

Searching all over the internet I think the solutions that the RC Rock Crawler community have come up with are probably just about perfect for this.

What I'm looking for specifically are the largest, stiffest, shock absorbers I can find off-the-shelf, or with some simple mods. (i.e. replace the springs with stiffer ones)

From what I have read the closest thing to what I need is probably in the 1:5 scale domain, but perhaps there is something better in 1:8 scale.

Any pointers to manufacturers, online suppliers, or other sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Tony

Something not from the crawler area but from the large scale Baja rigs might be what your looking for. HPI Baja or other 1:5 baja type rigs.

Thanks!
I'll ask the Baja side of the house for advice as well.

The reason I thought rock crawlers would be a good start is the amount of articulation involved, and the relatively slow speeds. That's very close to the design constraints I'm working under.

Would you happen to know of any online retailers that I could start with?

Thanks for the link.

I'm guessing that the 127-187mm in the part description is fully compressed to fully extended length? So, 60mm of travel.

I guess I should mention some of the characteristics of the design:
6 independent axles
Overall weight approx. 50lbs.

I could put as many as 2 shocks on each of the six drivelines for a total of 12.

Is it possible to modify the behavior the shocks by using different oils?

The way most of these shocks are designed is so that you can put different weights of oil, shock pistons, and stiffer or softer springs to help meet the needs of the terrain or use. In your case it sounds like you will need stiffer springs, a heavier oil, and maybe even pistons with smaller holes to slow movement of the shock down.

Back