Steering servo upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unsavagable

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm seeking opinions from the savage and tmaxx gods on what would be a good upgrade servo to the one that comes stock in the savage? I am working towards never pulling the batteries or servos out of that compartment again. By the way, I hate pull starts. This is my first nitro anything and I pulled on it like I pull on my lawnmower evidently and ripped the rope right out of the darn thing. After many rebuilds just to get through break in, I have ordered the jump start seeking to end the rope breaking plastic tearing blister making action!!!!

I put the HItec HS-645MG servo in my savage I like it.

I run the digital version of the servo bwesley mentioned (HiTec HS-5645MG). It has 170oz-in of torque for a 6 volt set up (which is what you have with drycells). Very nice servo with plenty of speed and power for a grand total of about $60.

I'm with Sky. I run the 5645mg as well. No centerring pod and all metal gearing. VERY strong servo, especially for the price. ServoCity has them for 55$ shipped. www.servocity.com

Thanks for the input, just confirms what I was already leaning towards! any preferences on whic 5 cell humpback to run?

Oh yes, what connector type does the savage have? Airtronics or futaba? does it matter?

Is it worth the extra $20 for the digital??? and if so why?

The 20 bucks gets you a metal geared servo that does not require a centering pod, oh and about an extra 35 oz-in of torque and a fraction of a second on speed.

Here compare for yourself. First the HS-645MG

Next the HS-5645MG

Well I opened my steering servo up and it looked like there was rice in side of it.... time to up grade that bad boy.

not up on my servo tech here but what does a centering pod do and why is it worth it to get the digi with out a centering pod

can I just replace the plastic gears with metal gears and keep the same servo?

They dont make metal gears for the stock servo:mad:

Not sure if you can buy a metal gear set for that servo or not.

Rob - The hitec website will take you through all the differences of Digital vs. non. digi. From the 10 times greater speed, to the strength etc. They also point out the fact that they are power hogs. With some centerless servos or coreless servos, you can spin the spline all the way around. Then, when you turn it on, its already centerred (until you turn your radio on etc etc). The key bennefit is so you dont run into 'flat spots' as I call them. A common problem is a servo will not return to center after extended use. This is due to it being a 'fixed' center set by the pot which limits travel one way or the other. With no centerring pot, you will not run into this issue.

Here are some excerpts from HiTec's site:

Unbreakable MP Gear™
The heart of our unbreakable geartrain is the MP Gear. The MP Gear is made utilizing a revolutionary production technique that injects a high impact plastic around a metal pinion gear to form an unbreakable first gear. By utilizing this gear Hitec has succesfully reduced the amount of drive train noise that is common in metal gear servos and at the same time added considerable strength to the geartrain.

The HS-645MG represents the latest generation of Hitec servos. With a custom designed programmabledigital circuit and our unique Alumite/ MP gear train technology the HS-5645MG has our infamous un-breakable gear train. The powerful HS-5645MG is perfect for those applications that demand a high torque servo.

Q. Do I need to program my Hitec digital servo before I use it?
A. No. The Hitec digital servos can be run "out of the box" and will perform just like a "normal" servo.

Q. How do I program my Hitec digital servo?
Using Hitec's proprietary programmer and servo tester device, model HFP-10, Hitec digital servos can be programmed for, direction of rotation, center and end points, failsafe option, speed and dead bandwidth adjustment. This is great for matching sets of servos for deadband width, center and end points in giant scale aircraft applications and for reversing a digital servo when two or more are used on a "Y" harness.

Q. What is the difference between an analog and digital servo?
A. The motor of a analog servo receives a signal from the servo amplifier 30 times a second. This signal tells the servo motor what to do and when to do it. Digital servos use a high frequency amplifier that sends a signal to the servo motor 300 times a second. Wow, this is 10 times "more frequent" than an analog amplifier, so a digital servo's motor is really working hard! This 300 times a second refresh rate delivers the full torque value of the servo right off the centerpoint and gives the servo a tighter deadband and thus, better centering ability and massive holding power.

Q. What are the advantages of digital servos ?
A-1. Instantaneous response
The digital micro processor is 10 times faster than an analog servo, this results in much quicker response "off the line" with the servo developing all the rated torque 1 degree off of the center point.
A-2. Programmability
Using Hitec's proprietary programmer and servo test device, model HFP-10, Hitec digital servos can be programmed for, direction of rotation, center and end points, failsafe option, speed and dead bandwidth adjustment. This is great for matching sets of servos for deadband width, center and end points in giant scale aircraft applications and for reversing a digital servo when two or more are used on a "Y" harness.
A-3. Enormous Standing Torque
The standing torque of the digital servos is 3 times that of the analog counterpart. Check it out, try moving the transmitter stick or wheel and at the same time hold the servo horn to keep it from twisting. You will not be able to prevent the horn from turning.

Q. Are there disadvantages to digital servos?
A. Digital servos use more power than an analog servo. Power is not free. They produce more power, so they take more power. Modern digital servos have impressive torque values, this takes a lot of power. Receivers are capable of delivering only so much power to the servos plugged into it before the voltage draw down caused by the servo power consumption falls below what the receiver requires to "hear" the signal from the transmitter. When this occurs a "glitch" will result from loss of signal to the receiver. Large aircraft can easily use 6 or more powerful servos with some 1/3rd scale and larger planes having multiple servos per control surface. There are several answers to this issue. Many modelers choose to use two receivers and others power the servos with a separate battery from that of the receiver. The point here is to be cautious when "Y" harnessing or "ganging" powerful servos together. Using larger capacity Nicad batteries as well as Heavy Duty switch harnesses are highly recommended in these applications.

Hope this helps!

Thx that sums it all up what i wanted to know