savage vs monster gt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro_Freak

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey guys.. I'm pretty sure that soon I'll have enough money to start looking at getting a monster truck (first one, currently have a nitro rustler and xterminator deluxe). I've been looking at the savage x (I wish I could get the xss but with the radio it would end up being too much $$) and the monster gt. which one would you guys get? all I'll be doing is bashing. my terrain is fairly rough with some big jumps. price isn't an issue as I work at my lhs and I can get the monster gt for $360 and the savage x for $400..

thanks

ps: I wasn't sure which forum to put this in so I decided to stick it in the savage forum..

The savage is sooooo worth the extra 40 bucks.

bustedgears said:
The savage is sooooo worth the extra 40 bucks.

yah that's what I was thinking but I wanted to ask you guys first.. I was helping some guy tune his savage today (stock .25), and it was ripping once we finally got it running well. the suspension on that thing is just plain awesome, I can drop it from over my head (I'm 5'10) and it won't bottom out..

yup, savage. With the same driving experience in a race between the savage and mgt, with same power. The mgt would win being it handles better, but the savage is more bash worhty.

redhatman said:
yup, savage. With the same driving experience in a race between the savage and mgt, with same power. The mgt would win being it handles better, but the savage is more bash worhty.

yeh! go for it nf.

thanks for the advice guys, though if possible I'd like some input from someone who's had both.

I have both.
I love the Savage for jumping.. and that is it.
I do not have the Savage X though.. I believe that it is supposed to be a little better at handling that the original.
I own 2 MGTs. Not only can you beat them to death.. (almost as much as a Savage) but they handle like a dream. Especially after you remove the tall tires and put some zombies on it. I run zombies on both of my trucks.

The MGT is a better all-around truck... easier to clean, easier to work on, and a lot more fun to drive.
The Savage is tougher and there are more hop-ups for it.

Adrian

thanks for the reply... I'll have to look into the mgt some more. I'd like the truck to handle well, but that's not my highest priority since I won't be racing with it. we have both of the trucks at my lhs so I'll have to take them down and look at them more closely I guess...

I do want to add though.. the Savage is a great truck. I would have more hop-ups on mine if I didn't have the MGTs. I personally do not like the Savage .25 engine.. but i might have a lemon. I am getting ready to remove it and put in the Sportwerks .26.
I am probably going to dismantle the s .25 and seal it. It runs WAY too hot on my truck. It puts out good power though.
I enjoy driving it.. but for me it is always in pursuit of a jump. hahaha
I like to set up cones and race around with the MGT.. as well as jump it.

Adrian

well yesterday I got to play with both trucks (not drive though). there are some things I like about both, but I think I'll go with the savage because that's what pretty much everyone is recomending.

either one, will have its advantages and disadvantages. I dont really think you can go wrong with either one.

There both awesome trucks. I have a Savage and love it to death. Havnt gotten to drive a MGT, but I've only heard good things about them. I think either way, youd be happy.

If u have money, get the Losi LST, worth it. If your budget is the tight, get a MGT. If you want something responsive in handling, get a savage. I have all of the above until now, all bought in used car, not new.

I'm going to say go with the mgt. I've driven both, and the mgt is sooooo much easier to drive. You can work on it with your eyes closed and can handle any ammount of power you want to throw at it.

The savage is a pain to work on and drives like a brick with wheels.

Driven:

LST Chassis makes it hard to do maintenance.. but tough and bash worthy.

MGT Easiest to maintain Racer or Bash worthy

REVO 3.3 Not the easiest to wrench due to the odd chassis but is a very race capable

SAVAGE 25 Strongest IMO but the slowest.

LST or MGT imho.

well I'm not gonna get an LST, while they're nice, the lhs I work at (hobby people) doesn't stock losi. it's gonna be the savage or monster gt, though I'm still leaning to the savage just because its suspension just feels amazing and because it's so durable. I'm just sooo tired of having parts break on me.

well, i gotta say... the MGT suspension is also great. Just not as set up for bigger jumps.

As far as parts, The savage is more durable. I'm not too familiar with the MGT, but i know for most parts on the savage, when they do break its a pain to fix them because you pretty much take apart the whole general area when fixing it.

Theres like 3 main parts of the savage, front end, back end, and middle. So wherever the part breaks, you will most likely be taking a lot of that section apart.

redhatman said:
well, i gotta say... the MGT suspension is also great. Just not as set up for bigger jumps.

As far as parts, The savage is more durable. I'm not too familiar with the MGT, but i know for most parts on the savage, when they do break its a pain to fix them because you pretty much take apart the whole general area when fixing it.

Theres like 3 main parts of the savage, front end, back end, and middle. So wherever the part breaks, you will most likely be taking a lot of that section apart.

That's not the case with me. Pretty much anything can be replaced in just a few minutes on a savage. On top of that, the X is that much easier to work on.

yah that's one of the things I like about the X. it's MUCH easier to get at everything than it was with the old savage. example: getting at the diff is only 6 screws instead of 42 with the old savage I think it was.

yea, I also hear that the savage X is not as durable though....

Back