EZ start or pull start. What do you prefer and why?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massivex

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
EZ start or pull start. What do you prefer and why?

If you have a pull start already, what are some of the things you dislike about pull starters?

I am disliking my EZ start right now, but I don't want to spend money to go from one headache to another. Any opinions?

I converted to pull start about 1 year ago and havent looked back. The sleazy-starter is heavy and a pita to get restarted after the truck dies I find. With a pull start on a hot start it fires up 1st or 2nd pull. Pluse its really light.

Bryson

Pull starts are great. That is all that I use. I have used the easy start, but really did not like it because of the stuff needed to lug around. Same thing with the bump start. Pull start... All you need is a glow-ignitor. If the engine is tuned correctly (that is the key here), then it is pretty much trouble free. However, if you end up flooding the engine, or is significantly out of tune, then it is a royal pain in the ass.

What are some brands and models of pull starters that are directly compatible with the T Maxx 2.5

I advise you to wear a glove!! My first time out with my ultra lx one i got 4 blisters, poped two of them while pulling, and almost got both of them infected really bad! I prefer a pull start because you have more power I believe with pulling your self rather than having a second string electric motor trying and you don't need to charge the 7.2 volt batt pack only a glo ignitor and that makes life a whole lot easier.

I go both ways on this. I like the ez start but I don't like carrying the wand and battery around, with the pull start you only need an ignitor...you and your truck or lighter.

For you to enjoy a pull start you must be able to properly tune your engine, if your engine is not properly tuned you will need gloves.

It's all in the gearing. The EZ is geared down to where the motor can spin the engine. Pull start spins many revolutions with one pull. So, the faster you spin the engine, the faster it will start. With proper tuning, 2 quick pulls will do it.

i dont like my EZ start. it eats up batteries, but the pull start i think costs like $15 on Tower, and its probably cheaper on ebay. but i dont trust many ebayers ;)

:ninja:

I use the one listed above and it works great for my 18tm!

Get one! its much less hassle and being a small block I've never gotten blisters from mine.(I'm sure they are soon to come with my savage when I get it:()

Oh and one last thing spend the little extra cash to get a good glow starter i'm thinking about trying this one next time around: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMN95&P=ML ... the included 5000 mah battery should do nicely

Last edited:
For ignitors I suggest it one with a spring plunger. The reason is is because with the screw ons they tend to unscrew the glow pulg a little. But in the end it comes down to personal preference.

Well... to be honest, I am now torn. I used to say pull-start, but something about the ez-start on my recently acquired jato makes it seem much less hassle to run it. With the body on, squirt gas in the tank, plug it in, hit the button.

I think in the past, I didn't care for the ez-start (had two, tried one once a long time ago, replaced the second with pull immediately). Now that I have an actual peak charger, the battery stays charged and it seems to work quite well.

It's more weight and that's definitely noticeable on a lighter truck. But, if your running a 3.3, then you more than likely have enough power to not notice. On my jato with the original 2.5, the extra ounces probably make a difference.

I'm sure I'll eventually replace it with a pull-start... but I think I'll wait until the ez-start breaks.

i have no problems with my ez start at all. i also dont use the glow plug wire, instead i use the ignitor with the ez start. i have never had any problems getting the truck started. even when i took the truck down to the beach to run it on a cold cloudy day it needed a new tune. with the ez start i was not getting a work out trying to get it running. this is on a 3.3 tmaxx

The EZ start was somewhat nice since you just SIT there and wait for it to start. It was hard starting some times though.
Pull start is nice when you have a good tuned engine and it starts up quick, plus its light. You will get blisters though if you have to pull a lot

The EZ start was somewhat nice since you just SIT there and wait for it to start. It was hard starting some times though.
Pull start is nice when you have a good tuned engine and it starts up quick, plus its light. You will get blisters though if you have to pull a lot

thats true , mine wasn't exactly tuned right and i had blisters between every finger in just one day, then i switched back to ez start, started to hate that cause of the wires and what not, then went to try the rotostart, i really like that , it starts in one second or 2 max.

I still stick to pullstarts on all my nitros? But to each his own.

i hav a t maxx with ez atart but i hate it its just not powrfull enough to start the engine so i hav to put a car battery to the motor and use the ez start for the glo this is really annoying cos it takes 2 peole to start it but because i hav only just got my t maxx i havent got a pull start but I'm posotive i will get 1 in the next few weeks then rip the ez start off and smash it with a mallet because its a load of :censored:

my ez start works great. never any problems starting it.

above?/\/\
you need a glow starter instead of using the glow plug wire

I like the pull starter, except pulling the body. Going to roto start