Stripped head screw's..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Nitro?

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well if my day was going good,I'm breaking down my O.S .12 to install my new p/s,And 2 of my head screw's are stripped,I've tried everything i could think of short of using my dremel,Does anybody have any suggestion's on what i should do. I don't really wanna cut the crap outta my head because it's too perrty. Also,Does anybody know of any Screw kit's for a O.S .12,These stock screws suck.The screw's on the engine now are Allen screws.

If you can't get it out any other way then I suggest finding a drill bit that can fit down the hole and grind the stripped head down. From there you should be able to just pull of the head. I urge caution when doing this so none of the metal shavings fall in the engine. IF worse comes to worse, than get a Hacksaw and try to cut the head of the stripped screw off. Once all screws are off you should be able to pull the head off. Good luck.

put J-B weld on the end of the allen wrench, and stick it on the screw. Let it dry, and unscrew it.

aj200415 said:
put J-B weld on the end of the allen wrench, and stick it on the screw. Let it dry, and unscrew it.

I've tried that... all it did was waste 10 hours waiting for it to cure.

I just drill the head of the bolt off, pull the head off, then take out the bolt with visegrips on the remaining stump that's left. I've done it 4 or 5 times on a few different engines. Twice on my 21 RG... stupid screws...

easiest way is to get a thin enough chisel from moast hardware stores for about 8$ that will fit in the screw hole......tap it lightly with a small hammer till you can se a slot made in the screw head......then just use a straight slot screwdriver to back the screw out as usual......I've done that several times with nitro plane engines when i used to fly before i saw a savy......

Ill drill the whole,I'm really a impatient kinda person and waiting on jb weld to cure would be a nightmare,Speed i would do that,but my dad's in all his magical skill's,ruined the only screw driver i had for hobby stuff,If worse comes to worst ill give it a shot.i let yall know

Well i grinded the head's off,and drilled them down a lil bit,and i still can't get the frickin head off,suggestions now?

Are you sure you ground/drilled them off the whole way? You may need to tap on the head from the side with a hammer handle to get it over the burr you created from grinding/drilling the heads off.

Yeah i checkedem all out,and i have no idea,i drilled the whole's down a little bit more and it still didn't come off,and I'm afraid ill end up runing the head if i drill past where the head of the screw is.

Is it an aftermarket head? If not you can get heads cheap on ebay!

Yeah it's a aftermarket head,I've drilled it,tried everything beside's beating the poop outta it,and I'm done with it.Straight to the shelf this engine's going.

ok, just stating the obvious, but just making sure that the glowplug is out?

o sorry, i was thinking the threads were in the case itself, but then i remembered. All I can think of it to lightly tap it to see if you can knock it loose a bit.

redhatman said:
o sorry, i was thinking the threads were in the case itself, but then i remembered. All I can think of it to lightly tap it to see if you can knock it loose a bit.

See what you get for thinking!

I had this problem before. I used a copping saw and cut the screw head off just under the head. Once the head was off there was still enough of the screw sticking out of the block to unscrew them with vise grips.

The problem I'm running into,Is I'm pretty sure the screw's thread into the head,not sure about this. I'm going to attempt to tap on it to see if it loosen's the head up a bit,but right now I've got the screw head's off,drilled a bit to get rid of some of the bind,and it's still not moving.I'm trying to avoid ruining this engine due to it's my only engine for awhile.Ill have a update in the morning,Thanks for the help guys.

i guess it could screw into the head, but neither have mine have done that...

Yeah... none of the 10 engines I've had the head threaded. The only threaded part was the crank case. 6 of which were/are OS's.

Well the head finally came off,I was trying to keep it all nice and pretty,and my dad snatched the engine outta my hand's and started beating the cooling head on the vice,Thank god nothing else broke,cooling head's still good,just a scratched,downside is,the sleeve's discolored,good thing i have a rebuild.Thanks for all the help yall.

Back