T Maxx 2.5 with 3.3 engine tranny?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skydart

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a 2.5 t maxx that I put a 3.3 engine in do i need to up grade the tranny and if so will the 3.3 tranny bolt in to the 2.5 chassie or are mods required:\

No i did the same thing on my 2.5. all you need to do is use the clutch bell that was on your 2.5 engine so the pitch is the same as the 2.5 tranny.
I also later bought the 3.3 tranny and installed it on my truck. its possible but takes a bit of work. the tranny it self fits right in place but the center driveshafts need to be modfied to get it to fit. they need to get cut shorter and also the front of the frame needs to get filed down a bit. i have pictures that i will attach so you can look at what i did to get it to work.
its a nice upgrade and i did notice a difference. also the 3.3 tranny is like half the weight of the 2.5 tranny that i had.

Front of center drive shaft
P2050005_2.jpg

only problem that i have now is that my throttle/break servo is being held in place with one of the mounts. i am still using one plastic mount and when the servo goes from lock to lock it moves a little bit but i think an aluminum mount would be way more than enough to keep it in place
P2050001_2.jpg

i have some more picts if u want me to put them up i will just ask

thank you for the reply I used the 2.5 clutch bell is working and will use it till it breaks and will think about the 3.3 tranny upgrade again thankyou